Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-09-10, 10:03 PM   #1
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Swimming jigs

I have bought a few swim jigs and was wanting to get some of your opinions about these lures. Some of them have the weed guard but most of the ones that I bought don't. I didn't realize that until I got them home. The ones that didn't have the weed guard have more of a wedge shaped head. These are some that had the weed guard 3 wild shiner 1/4 oz 4/0 Bass Jigs Rattles What do you guys perferr with of without the weed guard on a swim jig? also what sizes do you guys like best and for what type cover/structor?

Thanks, DJ

DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 10:37 PM   #2
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love swimming a jig threw the little trails in grass. I like 3/8oz bullet head and I like a small weed guard like on the strike king swim jigs.
Old 02-09-10, 10:42 PM   #3
DJ_Callahan_27

Yeah I wish all of the ones I bought had weed guards. The 1/4 oz ones I got have them but the 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz ones didn't.
Old 02-09-10, 11:18 PM   #4
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I haven't used anything more than a 1/4 oz, never needed to but most of the places you are throwing a swim jig require a weed guard.
Here is the best source for swim jig info: http://www.brovarneybaits.com/Swim%20Jig%20Basics.htm

I am doing a little rework on my swim jig right now and everything on that page makes sense. Also depending on the head of your swim jigs you might be able to add a weed guard. Standard weed guards are 1/8" so you can drill a hole in the head and use epoxy to put it in. Other weed guards will also say the size. Maybe put the jig head in a vice with wood on the jaws and drill, the bit will stop when you hit the hook.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 12:23 AM   #5
DJ_Callahan_27

Great article. I may have to try to put weed guards on some of my jigs. Don't realy know if the ones I bought are going to be much good at all after reading that though. That article stats that the swim jig needs a round bend hook, I know that the 1/4 0z one that I bought have a 4/0 EWG hook on them. Looks like it would be hard to get a trailor on straight. Any Ideas on that? Thanks again for the great article.

DJ
Old 02-10-10, 05:55 PM   #6
BeaverIslander

I like to thin out, shorten, and spread the weedguard on all jigs to a varying degree. Check out the video on jigs on this site, it's helpful. Unless you're using light tackle I think this is the way to go vs. using no weedguard at all. Just leaving a few bristles is all you need sometimes.

I very much like using 1/4 jigs to swim with, regardless of whether or not they have the flat head. I use 4" single or twin-tail grubs as trailers mostly, in white, minnow or bluegill colors. I usually fish them like I would a chatterbait, with a pretty erratic retrieve. Sometimes I fish them like a wake bait just under the surface.

Swimjigs or light jigs in general are great for skipping under docks, too. This is the only time that I may fish a jig without a trailer, but when I do, I glue it on. The trailer adds some drag and shortens the skip a little, thats why I go w/o sometimes. Otherwise I use a small chunk and thread it on as opposed to hooking it as I normally would.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-10, 07:59 PM   #7
WatterBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Wow, great info in this thread. Thanks, guys!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:14 PM   #8
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

I love swimming a jig. My preffered ones are war eagle finesse jigs they arent the best designed swim jigs but the color pond scum perch looks like a small bream and it could also look like a crayfish. The trailers i use are either a green pumpkin twin tail grub if i think ill be doing a lot of pitching too. Or a skinny dipper that i bite the head off of if im going to be swiming it more. The skinny dipper gives it a paddle tail action and it also gives it an awesome rolling action too very great around grass. I love it and have caught a ton of bass with that combo.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.