Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-08, 07:08 PM   #26
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

"Daddy.... Who's the guy in the startos trolling thirteen Jitterbugs out of the Stratos? Why is he so far off shore?"

In all respects, just kiddin'..
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 08:29 AM   #27
Bender

Ha! I found a 5/8 black one at Meijer last night. Today I'll add split rings and change the hooks, maybe even try it out tonight, not trolling of course though since it is forbidden in out tx.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 09:22 AM   #28
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Ha! I found a 5/8 black one at Meijer last night. Today I'll add split rings and change the hooks, maybe even try it out tonight, not trolling of course though since it is forbidden in out tx.
Bender,

I'm assuming you intend to split ring the hooks. Be it known that the added weight, however minor it may seem, might negatively affect the performance of the lure, especially in less than smooth water. If you feel the urge, carefully test and observe the differences between one with and one without. Also, a split ring on the eye is not advised.

Enjoy!

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 09:31 AM   #29
Fishnngolfn

Should I change out the treble hooks in the one that I purchased yesterday? I found a black 5/8 oz hinged back jitterbug. It has a white belly and a black top and red near the head.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 10:05 AM   #30
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Should I change out the treble hooks in the one that I purchased yesterday? I found a black 5/8 oz hinged back jitterbug. It has a white belly and a black top and red near the head.
F'nG,
I'd recommend leaving the factory hooks on for now. Just make darned certain that they are SHARP! (You wouldn't wanna lose "the fish of a lifetime", now would ya'?)
Those hooks were chosen for the proper "balance" and performance on THAT lure and have stood the test of time for, literally, decades.
Others may prefer alterations to almost every lure they obtain, and in many cases it IS beneficial. The J'Bug, however, needs no improvement, at least in my honest opinion. Said opinion is based on experience.

L6
Old 07-22-08, 10:12 AM   #31
Fishnngolfn

Thanks L6. I just remembered reading a thread about a certain bait with treble hooks and almost everyone here said to change out the hooks. I wasn't sure if it was the jitterbug. Maybe the torpedo? I also picked up one of those.

We need a notepad function for each user name to keep notes on.
Old 07-22-08, 10:49 AM   #32
Bender

FNG, you are probably thinking of the old rat-l-traps, those hooks were crap. The new ones have better hooks now. The hooks on my jitterbug are also very dull so maybe I will just change them and not add the split rings for now and see how it works. Thanks for the advice L6
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 01:37 PM   #33
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
Thanks L6. I just remembered reading a thread about a certain bait with treble hooks and almost everyone here said to change out the hooks. I wasn't sure if it was the jitterbug. Maybe the torpedo? I also picked up one of those.

We need a notepad function for each user name to keep notes on.
If you are talkin' 'bout a TINY TORPEDO, then the ONLY hook change I'd make is to replace the factory #6 hooks with #6 Owner or Gamakatsu trebles.
Anything larger will darn near sink the little critter. Also, NO split rings on either the hooks OR the eye.
Caution: Removing the hooks on a Torp is a pain. You have to unscrew the hook eyes from the body, bend them open to change hooks, then close the gap and screw them back in. You'll learn VERY suddenly that putting bonnets on the hooks will reduce blood loss. If you must do it (don't) then take a round toothpick, put tiny drop of super glue on it, and force some glue into the holes in the lure body before quickly screwing the eyes back in...front and rear.
When you replace the rear treble (don't) you'll need to turn the eyescrew just enough allow free rotation of the prop. There's a fine line between free rotation and wobble, so don't leave it too loose. Again, use hook bonnets!
Why not put off any changes until the original hooks are shot?

L6
Old 07-22-08, 04:02 PM   #34
Fishnngolfn

I am the kind of guy who will just buy a new lure once the hooks go dull. It is not that I have loads of money. I just don't like the hassle of saving about $2 and loosing some blood just to keep a lure that I can easily buy for $4.50.
Old 07-22-08, 09:33 PM   #35
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

FnG- Ah, Daniel-san, some day you may find that you have in your possession a lure that cannot be matched. Verily, it may appear the same as every other lure of its type, but you will know that it, and it alone, contains magical fish-catching qualities. It may be scarred from rock rash, but it will have that special something that no other lure has. Then, Daniel-san, you will cheerfully replace said dull hooks rather than replace the Jewel of the Tacklebag. Unless, as lowrider alluded to in the smilies post, you tick off the Tackle Nazi. In which case- No hooks for you!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-08, 10:46 PM   #36
Lancer6

Heed the old swine's warnings, GolfCourseHopper, or you will someday find yourself in the rough. Worse yet, my son, you might find yourself locked in the clubhouse locker room overnight...With John Daly and a case of cheap whiskey...(If you need me, I'll be at Motel 6, Room 69, with Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis, and Michelle Wie. Leave message.)

Forrrrrrrrre!

Lancer6

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.