Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 08-02-13, 04:52 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The things a man thinks about...

...while mowing the lawn.

I personally can find some real enjoyment mowing the lawn. It's almost like fishing, just you (unless you're with your fishing buddy) and your thoughts. Really lets a fella clear his mind and think about things.

Anyone else find the same peace after firing up the 'ol Deere?
Old 08-02-13, 07:10 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

My mind wonders more when I am mowing than when I am fishing. When I'm fishing I am always focused on figuring out the fish, when I mow I only need to figure out when to stop to grab another beer LOL. One time while fishing with my grandpa shortly after he found out he had prostate cancer he broke a long silent spell in the boat with a great quote I will never forget. He said "you know, a guy can get out here and think about a lot of stuff. But you can get out here and forget a lot of stuff too".
Old 08-02-13, 07:19 PM   #3
nofearengineer

Boy, did he hit it on the head with that, Kory.

Of course, some of those things we WANT to forget.

I would enjoy mowing the lawn more if my lawn didn't suck so bad.
Old 08-02-13, 07:30 PM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

He said "you know, a guy can get out here and think about a lot of stuff. But you can get out here and forget a lot of stuff too".

What a great wise man!

Mowing....guess I enjoyed it when I was a teen too but now I'm usually focused on getting the 3/4 of an acre done and go fishing!!!

Sam, lets be honest, all you thought about while you were mowing was, "wonder how many lawns I'll have to mow in order to have enough to get my MUSKY mounted.

Heard Stick may mount it for free.
Old 08-02-13, 07:49 PM   #5
keithdog

I would probably enjoy mowing more if I had a rider. Having a walk behind makes it out to be more of a chore. I'm usually looking for what I don't want to run over or step in. Luckily my lawn isn't huge and I can get it done in under an hour.
Old 08-02-13, 08:04 PM   #6
bassboogieman

I hate mowing the grass, but not as much as I'd hate paying someone to do it for me. It's just a weekly chore that gets done as quickly as possible and FORGOTTEN for another 6 to 10 days (depending upon season) until time to do it again. The only thing I think about when mowing is: how dang noisy the neighbors little pizz ant dogs can be.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 12:38 PM   #7
Bassboss

Wraps it up real well Kory, I like it allot. I definitely wander more mowing than fishing too, but it's a decent comparison for me. It's all about making my work (whatever it may be) fun.

I have a push mower to, but it's not like I have a huge lawn either... just gives me a reason to call friends with a rider a wimp (toned down for forum speak! :rolleyes) lol
Old 08-03-13, 02:08 PM   #8
lilmule

John Deere zero turn,and placing ones mind on something else you run over something youve planted.This year wet wet every 5 days 2 ac.
Did find time to mount my new to me humminbird 798 HD Ci Si with a 180 ducer,will attempt screen shots later,all new fangled stuff to me.
I have cut mine with a push mower lol,days past im glad.Nothing ive ever cut with beats this zero turn.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-13, 09:57 AM   #9
bamabassman

even though i ain't fond of mowing over 3 acres...it does let oyu think and get back in otuch with oyurself and what you want to do.....about anything and everything. therapy is a good word for it.
Old 08-04-13, 02:42 PM   #10
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

hate mowing, used to live on farm and bush hogged 60 acres, that was alright as it didn't have to be perfect, now my new house all these trees and landscaping crap to mow around and weed eat
Old 08-04-13, 05:14 PM   #11
Jrob78

I hate mowing the lawn. Fishing was there for me when I was going through some really hard times. I've fished since I was old enough to remember but in my early 20's and then again in my late 20's it saved me. The fact that I could clear my head and not think about anything else is what I liked about it. When I fish, I focus 100% on what I'm doing and all the other crap goes away.
Old 08-04-13, 06:19 PM   #12
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Fishing was there for me when I was going through some really hard times. I've fished since I was old enough to remember but in my early 20's and then again in my late 20's it saved me. The fact that I could clear my head and not think about anything else is what I liked about it. When I fish, I focus 100% on what I'm doing and all the other crap goes away.
I know this is a light hearted casual thread about mowing/fishing and thinking but Joe's post brings it a little closer to home for me.

When I was 11 my father died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. Every child finds a way to cope with grief, my way was to fish. For whatever reason I simply could not stand the sad and concerned looks everyone always gave me and the never ending question that was asked with all the best intentions but to which there was no real answer...."Ken how are you doing? are you OK?" The only way to escape that torment was to spend every possible minute I could plundering around the river or paddling the old tin boat out into the mill pond. Talk about saving somebody's life and sanity....I can honestly say it saved mine.
As the years passed lot's of our friends and family began to question my mother about whether or not she felt my fishing and isolationism had become a problem. Bless her heart I"ll never forget overhearing her tell my Aunt one night...." Is he hurting anyone? Is his schoolwork or chores suffering? No ! The grieving disciples went fishing after Jesus died (John 21:3) if it's good enough for them it's good enough for Ken and he's happy and so am I"
Old 08-04-13, 06:40 PM   #13
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I hate mowing the lawn. Fishing was there for me when I was going through some really hard times. I've fished since I was old enough to remember but in my early 20's and then again in my late 20's it saved me. The fact that I could clear my head and not think about anything else is what I liked about it. When I fish, I focus 100% on what I'm doing and all the other crap goes away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I know this is a light hearted casual thread about mowing/fishing and thinking but Joe's post brings it a little closer to home for me.

When I was 11 my father died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack. Every child finds a way to cope with grief, my way was to fish. For whatever reason I simply could not stand the sad and concerned looks everyone always gave me and the never ending question that was asked with all the best intentions but to which there was no real answer...."Ken how are you doing? are you OK?" The only way to escape that torment was to spend every possible minute I could plundering around the river or paddling the old tin boat out into the mill pond. Talk about saving somebody's life and sanity....I can honestly say it saved mine.
As the years passed lot's of our friends and family began to question my mother about whether or not she felt my fishing and isolationism had become a problem. Bless her heart I"ll never forget overhearing her tell my Aunt one night...." Is he hurting anyone? Is his schoolwork or chores suffering? No ! The grieving disciples went fishing after Jesus died (John 21:3) if it's good enough for them it's good enough for Ken and he's happy and so am I"
Wow, that is very moving stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing. I enjoy learning about the role fishing plays for others, especially when I've never really thought about other perspectives before. I just kind of "happened" into fishing when a friend of mine bought a summer cabin on a lake about 15 years ago.

As far as mowing the lawn goes, I'm on the other side from most so far because I love it! Maybe that's because I only have to do it for half a year? I like it because I enjoy work where I can easily see how much I've done and how much I have left to do, plus I like being really anal and trying to see how straight I can make all the "lines" when I mow. It bothers me a little when the neighbors "mess up" our shared border on each side by being a little crooked, so I have to "fix it" when I get out there to do ours.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 09:34 AM   #14
MississippiBoy

I hate mowing. If I didn't want to spend the money, I'd pay somebody to do it for me, and I've seriously debated doing just that. But it is a great way to be "alone" for a while and to try and solve the problems of the world.
As much as I hate to mow, I took a job one summer in college mowing the grass at my church. That was a full time job. There was an empty field in the back that now has a softball field and soccer pitch on it, plus the picnic/pavilion area, then the front green space by the highway. I was on a big Ex-Mark zero turn mower most of the day, every day, and when I wasn't on it, I was weedeating all the trees, the ampitheater, the steep hill between the church and that back field, and around all the curbs in the parking lots. Suffice to say, I had a LOT of time to think.
That was right around the time that Louann and I were both starting to think about making our realationship a "serious" thing, and I can honestly say that having all that free time to ponder over it really let me look at it from all different angles, and helped me make the best decision of my life.
So now, I have these great people as a part of my life.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The girls.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	8867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lou and Cait.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	8868  
Old 08-05-13, 08:33 PM   #15
Bassboss

Really glad I made this thread! lol

Ditto what Dean said Ken. Never knew that about you and am glad the sport saved you! I think your mom's answer was perfect.

I'd imagine fishing helped my dad in his earlier 20's too Joe. He fished allot in his younger years and started into some crap in his mid teens. I bet that fishing really helped him get away from the wrong type of people and let him relax when he needed too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.