Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Old 03-26-13, 10:31 PM   #1
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Man what a blow......

Fellas I know I haven't been posting on here much lately. I've been dropping by but for the most part I haven't really been in the mood to post much. A little history about what is going on with a friend of mine.

When I started my new job a year ago, I quickly made several good friends. We do all sorts of stuff together outside of work and just about all of us hunt and fish so we have a lot in common. One of the good friends I quickly got close to is a guy named Doug Lujan, who is just an all around awesome guy. Doug is a big college sports fan (even if it is Chokelahoma) so we have a lot of common ground there. On top of that he is a die hard crappie fisherman, and is pretty dang good. He is a big gun guy, which is another thing we have in common. On top of all of that, he is just one of those guys who you meet and immediately feel like you've known for years. A great friend. Doug is a very talented fella when it comes to machining parts on a mill or lathe, I've known several guys with this trade over the years and Doug is the best I've ever seen. He is as sharp as a tack when it comes to common sense stuff and not too shabby in the book smarts category either. I tell you that, so I can tell you this:

A month or two back Doug started having problems with remembering things, everyday stuff that nobody should ever forget. 2 different times he came to work and got out of his truck and forgot to shut the drivers door. He came back to work from lunch and got a call from his wife who was complaining that he left the front door and garage door to their house standing wide open, and he didn't remember it. We all knew something was wrong but never dreamed what we were about to learn.

After a month of doctors running test after test and coming up empty and Doug still struggling to remember the most simple things (I joked with him that he could hide his own Easter eggs this year. We have a special friendship and ball busting is just part of it). One day at work I talked to Doug at 10:00 in the morning and invited him out to dinner with a few of us guys from work and our families, Doug talked like they would join us so I went to the break room for a break. When I came back we learned that Doug almost collapsed and had to be taken to see the doctor. They ordered a CT scan that afternoon. The scan showed that Doug had a brain tumor and was sent to Springfield that evening for surgery. Before they operated they wanted to run another MRI and see what they were up against. They discovered a second tumor that was more dangerous than the first one. They did surgery to remove the worst one within a few days and sent it off for a biopsy. When the news came back it rocked our world. Doug has terminal brain cancer. They said untreated he might have 4 months, if they treat it they talked like maybe a year. I've never known anyone who was told they had a terminal illness and I talk to Doug often but never seem to have enough words to make me feel like I'm much help to him. I promised him we would go fishing as soon as the weather warms up a bit. All of us at work agreed that whatever time he has left, we will make sure he has as much damn fun as he can........as long as he feels up to it. Doug and his family has been on my mind constantly of late and It's just a horrible situation.

One good thing to report though. After talking with a few people about what he is up against, Doug made the most important step he could. He accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior and was babtized. I will do my best to keep you all up to date as Doug continues his battle, but I just wanted to let you know what was going on and why I haven't been on here much of late. Guys, hug your loved ones and leave nothing unsaid. None of us are promised tomorrow.
Old 03-26-13, 10:36 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

So sorry to hear this. Prayers will be sent tonight.
Old 03-26-13, 11:00 PM   #3
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post

One good thing to report though. After talking with a few people about what he is up against, Doug made the most important step he could. He accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior and was babtized. I will do my best to keep you all up to date as Doug continues his battle, but I just wanted to let you know what was going on and why I haven't been on here much of late. Guys, hug your loved ones and leave nothing unsaid. None of us are promised tomorrow.
We'll be praying for Doug and his family and for God to give you the wisdom to speak the words he needs to hear. Or just to be there for him to talk to. I lost a close friend once to a sudden cancer diagnosis, all he needed from me was company and an ear.
Old 03-26-13, 11:02 PM   #4
keithdog

Boy, that cut through my heart like a knife. I am so sorry about what is happening to Doug. Why are there so many stories about people with cancer now days? The one good thing is that he accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior. With that, I hope he finds a deep faith. That in of itself can help combat illness. Kory, my father in law was given a death sentence once. He had a terminal cancer that was very agressive and spreading fast.It started in his kidneys and quickly spread into his bones. He was given 3-6 months to live. He lived another 7 years. And he enjoyed most of those 7 years, taking many trips, doing many things he enjoyed, working around the house and yard, fishng, ect. He never beat the cancer, but he did fight it, and prolonged his life longer than even the experts said he would by many years. With faith in God, a possitive attitude, and the support of family and friends, Doug could beat this thing, or last much longer than expected. The important thing for you and his friends, is to be strong for Doug, but also realize there will be days when he needs to be alone, or just with his family. Good days and bad are in his future. But being there when he needs you is what he needs. And I know you will certainly do that. Thanks for filling us in on whats going on and I know many of us will be sure to say a prayer for Doug and his faimly, and for you as well. It's never a smooth path we follow when walking with a cancer patient. But being there if they stumble, that makes all the difference in the world for them. Just knowing others care about whats happening to them, and that you are there if they need you. God bless your friend Doug, his family and you Kory.
Old 03-26-13, 11:14 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Thank you guys very much. I still have trouble talking about it with the guys at work without tearing up, and at home behind closed doors I break down often. Mostly because of the likelyhood of losing my friend much sooner than I ever imagined, but also because Doug is his families rock and they need him around. I keep telling everyone that the doctors can put whatever they want on Dougs expiration date but it's up to God and he will say when it's time for Doug to come home. Of course I pray for a miracle for Doug. But more than that I pray that Doug keeps a positive attitude during this battle because once someone gives up mentally it's just a matter of time. Not saying that a positive attitude can beat cancer alone, but without it you don't stand a chance. I am in the process right now of organizing a benefit crappie tournament for Doug and his family. I am getting a ton of support from work and I am expecting the tournament to be pretty big and raise a lot of money for them. Funny thing about it though, you start seeing how much money you can raise to help them and start feeling good about it. Then you realize that although it helps them financially, all the money in the world won't chase off the monster he is fighting.
Old 03-26-13, 11:42 PM   #6
Jrob78

Man, that is a complete kick to the nuts. Try your hardest to keep your relationship and interaction with him the same as always. The laughing, joking and ball busting are probably exactly what he needs from his friends. I will keep Doug and his family in my prayers.
Old 03-27-13, 12:36 AM   #7
Bassboss

So sorry to hear about your friend Kory, sounds like a real great guy. Praying for the best, and am so glad he's accepted the Lord into his life.
Old 03-27-13, 02:34 AM   #8
joedog

Kory, that's tuff freind!
I like you, am at a loss for words so I'm just going to pray for Doug and his family.

REALLY, really sorry to hear!
Old 03-27-13, 08:38 AM   #9
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hard to know what to say in a case like that. Be there as a friend if he needs to talk about it he will. Just treat him like he still has a lifetime ahead of him and enjoy your time together.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-13, 09:24 AM   #10
MississippiBoy

I don't know what to say, Kory. I've known several people that have had cancer and lived, and I've known several that didn't make it. Right now, a wonderful lady I know is fighting 4 different kinds of cancer. It's so serious, she started chemo 3 days after she was diagnosed.....there was no time to waste, she needed treatment immediately. We're hoping she can beat this, but it's going to be an extremely hard battle for her and her family.
Miracles can happen, though, and do all the time. Someone else I know had AML, or acute myeloid leukemia, when she was about 15-16 years old. She was in the hospital for months, with a very grim diagnosis. I remember one day in I think April, she had a liver biopsy done. With all the drugs she was on, her blood wouldn't clot, so the small incision in her liver wouldn't quit bleeding. They were pumping blood into her as fast as they possibly could, but couldn't keep up with the bleeding. They used so much, they ran out of her blood type, so they had to get some some other hospitals. At one point, she had ZERO blood pressure, no pulse, not breathing.
She danced in our church's Christmas program that year, and is cancer free.
Another man at our church had a different kind of leukemia years ago, back before I even met him. He fought it, and beat it, but because of the treatment, the doctors told him he would never be able to have children.
His second child is almost 2 years old.
A veterinarian I've known my whole life was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma at around the age of 65. Non-Hodgkins is much more serious than Hodgkins, and has a pretty low survival rate.
That was 6-7 years ago. He's retired now, and still hauls his horses all over the country on trail rides.
I know there's a bunch more stories of people than have faced cancer and beat it, even when nobody thought they would. Doug's story is not written in stone....
Old 03-27-13, 06:14 PM   #11
bcklash

Praying for Doug. Kory just remember to be yourself around Doug and believe me it's harder than people think. I really think Frank (my buddy I just lost) appreciated me being normal when he was around. Praying for you to Kory.
Old 03-27-13, 06:23 PM   #12
nofearengineer

I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, Kory. He's lucky in one sense, that so many good people care about him. Just be as good of a friend to him as you can. That's all you can do.
Old 03-27-13, 06:41 PM   #13
nobass

Kory I read that this am. I was lost for words.i have lost several friends to one thing or another I know it is hard . I have no advice on how to handle it time will soften the lost but you never really completely lose the ache in your heart. I have been thinking about Doug all day even though I do not know him this has really hit me in the gut. I am not a religious man but I Truely hope GOD gives Doug a miracle
Old 03-27-13, 06:50 PM   #14
bamabassman

so EXTREMILY sorry kory. there are a LOT of people who are fighitng this cancer battle, some are winning and some are still in the fight. a past neighbor of ours who lived next door to us in south bama had a brother of the wife die yesterday from cancer.

kory, oyu know we will have him in our prayers.he sounds like a wonderful PERSON, and he has a great friend in OYU kory. please tell him we here at this site are praying hard for him and we love him.
Old 03-27-13, 08:49 PM   #15
Bassin' Gal
BassFishin.Com Active Member

So very, very sorry to hear this has happened to your friend. Will add him to the prayer list. Do please let him know that there are many praying for him, his family and the people who love him.
Bassin' Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 12:01 PM   #16
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Kory, I feel your pain. I lost my fiance last week to Glyoblastoma (brain cancer) she fought hard for 24 months, 6 mo. longer than the Dr. gave her. Stay strong, because your buddy will need all those who surround him to be strong and help him fight this ugly monster that's call cancer.

I will start a new thread on my situation at a later time, I don't want to hijack Kory's thread.
Old 03-28-13, 01:03 PM   #17
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post
Kory, I feel your pain. I lost my fiance last week to Glyoblastoma (brain cancer) she fought hard for 24 months, 6 mo. longer than the Dr. gave her. Stay strong, because your buddy will need all those who surround him to be strong and help him fight this ugly monster that's call cancer.

I will start a new thread on my situation at a later time, I don't want to hijack Kory's thread.
Sorry for your loss, CBF. Will add you to my prayers also.

Kory - thanks for sharing Doug's situation with us so we can pray for him (and you) also. Like Bassin' Gal said, be sure to let him know that we are all in his corner and praying for him.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-13, 10:55 PM   #18
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank-Bait-Frank View Post

I'm so very sorry to hear about your fiance Frank. So many people are fighting cancer. Mt thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 03-30-13, 04:14 AM   #19
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I lost a friend of mine 5 or 6 years ago to bone marrow cancer, he was only 27. A few months before he died another friend and I took him deer hunting because he'd been for several seasons with his bow and never got one. He shot the biggest little buck I've ever seen dropped that day. It wasn't big in size but the meaning to all of us was huge. He was so excited when we got up to the deer and the emotion just overtook him and he sat down next to the deer and cried. One of the biggest roller coasters of emotions I've ever been on. Greg, or Slim as we called him, died a few months after that and he decided to give me his bow after he'd shot his buck. I've since killed several deer with that same bow and even though it's old and heavy I can't bring myself to upgrade from it.
Stay strong for your friend and his family. Make the memories you can with the time he has.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-13, 06:32 PM   #20
Jrob78

Kory, I hope you don't mind that I'm posting this in your thread.

MO_CPA, John, is participating in Relay for Life to help raise money to fight cancer. Please support him and help raise money so that we can stop losing our loved ones to this awful disease.
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=38105
Old 03-30-13, 10:00 PM   #21
WTL

Very sorry to hear about Doug, I will keep him in my prayers. Terminal cancer, though it sounds impossible, has miraculously disappeared before in cases. Keep the prayers going.
Old 03-31-13, 11:04 AM   #22
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have read this many times and extend my thoughts and prayers to Doug and the family and friends he has surrounding him. Very sad to hear and just opens a flood gate of memories. I have no doubt that the healing hand of the Lord can be laid upon him, but like you said, don't put off today because tomorrow is not a guarantee.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.