Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-17-08, 11:43 AM   #26
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Ok sometime today I will put several props through the program I have on the puter and see what I can narow the choice down to. YES very definately will be able to get AT LEAST 500 more rpms in there and prolly amother 5 mph and that should put you right at the optimum for your rig without some major modifications. And also what I am telling you is your at the OPTIMUM without spending ALOT of money. If you decide to really make your rig scoot then we get down to the stuff I love but again I am warning you its gonna cost dollars.

Any recommendations?

Joe
joecnc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:17 PM   #27
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Well here in Texas it gets pretty hot on the lakes, so i got a canapy for the boat. I think it came out pretty good.

Up next are my two down riggers i want to install on the front deck.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	2368   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	2369  
Old 06-19-08, 10:30 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

how much was that? would love to gt one for da cajun (for da little lady ).
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:39 PM   #29
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
how much was that? would love to gt one for da cajun (for da little lady ).
170.00 at cabelas
Old 06-19-08, 10:47 PM   #30
bamabassman

thanks!!! i'll check it out.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 06:43 AM   #31
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecnc2006 View Post
Any recommendations?

Joe
Ok bud sorry it took this long to get back.....been real busy....Anyways there are a couple of props that would fit right on your rig and should push here along at a pretty good clip. I see that you like dealing with Cabela's. There line of stainless props arnt that bad for entry level boats. They have decent bow lift and sufficent enough rake to carry the boat fairly well. One of my favorites for the smaller motors though is the Turbo Line of props. The have done wonders on several boats that I have helped set up. The spinup on holeshot very well have decent midrange acceleration and have always added several more mph on the topend. Personally I would go with a Turbo or with a Stilleto. Basically copy cat props,good price and do pretty dang well.
Old 06-20-08, 08:10 AM   #32
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Ok bud sorry it took this long to get back.....been real busy....Anyways there are a couple of props that would fit right on your rig and should push here along at a pretty good clip. I see that you like dealing with Cabela's. There line of stainless props arnt that bad for entry level boats. They have decent bow lift and sufficent enough rake to carry the boat fairly well. One of my favorites for the smaller motors though is the Turbo Line of props. The have done wonders on several boats that I have helped set up. The spinup on holeshot very well have decent midrange acceleration and have always added several more mph on the topend. Personally I would go with a Turbo or with a Stilleto. Basically copy cat props,good price and do pretty dang well.

What dia. and pitch do you recomend?
Old 06-20-08, 12:02 PM   #33
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

I just called Turbo Prop. and talked to them, they recommend a 10-1/2" with 11 pitch, he said i would have to go down to 11 pitch to get the full 60hp out of the motor, but speed will be around 32mph, but allot more torque.

Plus their prop is 219.00 for a stainless steel i think its a good price.

What do you think of size and price?

Joe

Last edited by joecnc2006; 06-20-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-20-08, 08:46 PM   #34
1FASTLASER

NO!! on the 11 pitch. I am thinking more like 15. I maybe wrong but I am almost for certain that 15 is where you need to be to get where you need. I will run it through my prop calculators and get back to you. With the info you have given me I can get you pretty damn close with the pitch numbers. I am CERTAIN with an 11 pitch you would have a break neck holeshot but would loose alot on topend.
Old 06-20-08, 08:47 PM   #35
1FASTLASER

By the way the price is just about right.
Old 06-20-08, 08:52 PM   #36
1FASTLASER

Ok went back and reread what you said about the 10 3/8 14p prop you just put on and I may have been a bit high on the pitch. A 14 will probably be the ticket. After running the turbo prop through my prop calculator I will get back to ya. Tommorrow morning I will post up the end results.
Old 06-20-08, 10:08 PM   #37
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Ok went back and reread what you said about the 10 3/8 14p prop you just put on and I may have been a bit high on the pitch. A 14 will probably be the ticket. After running the turbo prop through my prop calculator I will get back to ya. Tommorrow morning I will post up the end results.
thanks for all your help to me and others you have helped.

joe
Old 06-21-08, 05:49 AM   #38
1FASTLASER

Ok joe here is the nuts and bolts of it. No matter what I plug into my prop calulator it comes out to be the same on both of them. I use 2 of them for comparison, that way if I blubber on one the other will catch it. The prop you need is gonna have to be a 14 with as much cup in the blade as we can find. Now I am leaning more to maybe a Stilleto prop. If memeory serves me right the stiletto has more cup in it than the Turbo does. Now there are a couiple of things I need to point out. I hope you know that these prop calculators are not a science and what they tell you is for average conditions. There are variables that a person does not know that can alter its findings. Jusrt because it says this prop will do this doesnt always mean it will do exactly that. For instance ZOOKER bought a stainless prop for his 50hp Yamaha and used a prop calc. After putting it on it still wasnt quite up to snuff. Its the nature of the beast. There are no CERTAINTIES, BUT after running his stock prop he had it worked or Balanced and Blueprinted to HIS boat he now is happier than a pig in chit. I just want you to understand how propping a boat is not a tried and true science. Another for instance that I like to use is a buddy of mines Nitro with a 200 Merc on it will spin a 26p Trophy in the summer of the year and bang out 74.3 on the GPS at 5500rpms. That same prop wont turn 5350 when the water cools down.
So you see you have to reach a happy medium which I always trie to obtain a good holeshot with decent midrange accleration and the best posible topend. That is the goal. You cant have blistering topend and a neck breaking holeshot........it just wont happen.
Old 06-21-08, 06:23 AM   #39
1FASTLASER

Here are a couple of lionks to props that I would suggest.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prop_finder.cgi

http://www.turbo-props.com/files/Turbo-Page-2.jpg

http://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Mar...t_id=133337299

Of the 3 props I have listed actually I need to retract my statement about leaning towards a Stilleto. Since reveiwing the props the Michigan Wheel Rapture really sparks my interest. It has everything I would look for in a prop plus it is one of the few small engine props that has the vent holes alreay in it from the factory. The vent holes allow the engine to spool up on holeshot to a higher rpm to aid in getting the boat on plane.
Old 06-21-08, 06:24 AM   #40
zooker

joe where are you located??
where is the moter bolt? lowest hole, mid hole, or top hole??

laser
34-36 is done quite easy in the summer. like big moters humidity slap eats horse power in the lil moters.. my best speed-41.1gps-turning 5800 was done in march 50 degrees low humidity..

i would say right now i could turn 38 ish @ 5400 with the humidity..and i have been messin with my moter for a while. i still think he is deep.

link to powertech props-my first choice in ss props
http://www.ptprop.com/

zooker
Old 06-21-08, 06:27 AM   #41
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
joe where are you located??
where is the moter bolt? lowest hole, mid hole, or top hole??

laser
34-36 is done quite easy in the summer. like big moters humidity slap eats horse power in the lil moters.. my best speed-41.1gps-turning 5800 was done in march 50 degrees low humidity..

i would say right now i could turn 38 ish @ 5400 with the humidity..and i have been messin with my moter for a while. i still think he is deep.

zooker
Thanks buddy. I sure as hell have forgotten to ask that question on the engine height. Thanks for waking me up. Joe we need to know as ZOOK stated where your motor is bolted in relationship to the mounting holes. You should be..........starting from the bottom of the mounting holes......in the second hole from the bottom. This hole gets you outta the water as far as drag but not so far that you really have to watch water pressure. By the way do you have a water pressure gauge installed????
Old 06-22-08, 12:49 PM   #42
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

I do not have a water pressure guage, does it install next to top spark plug there was a hole there where water was comming out to i put a bolt in it to seal it up.

Here is a pictures of the motor mounted, you can see the 6 holes towards the bottom where it looks like the motor would come down and rest on a bar or something, there is nothing installed in these.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2376  
Old 06-22-08, 03:57 PM   #43
zooker

there is not supose to be anything in there but the bar. the bolts holes are the engine mounting bolts that go thru the transome.

as you can see in below picture 2 bolts and the trim rod end.

now the bottom is a slot that the moter bolt sits in the top bolts always are single holes now note the top bolt and tell me which hole the bolt is in..

zooker
Old 06-22-08, 10:25 PM   #44
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

There are no adjustment holes, the motor is mounted like a giant C-Clamp.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mount1.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	2377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount2.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	2378  
Old 06-23-08, 05:38 AM   #45
1FASTLASER

Allright Sumtin aint right here. I gotta go back and reread but If memeory serves me right that mount belongs on 50 and less motors NOT on 60hp motors of that year. I am not positive yet lemme do some checking.
Old 06-23-08, 08:50 AM   #46
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Allright Sumtin aint right here. I gotta go back and reread but If memeory serves me right that mount belongs on 50 and less motors NOT on 60hp motors of that year. I am not positive yet lemme do some checking.
you got me starting to wonder if someone switched the cover and i really had a 50, but here is another 60hp mariner with exact mount, so i'm sure it is correct.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercu...ayphotohosting

joe
Old 06-23-08, 06:18 PM   #47
zooker

see the tag in my picture on the moter frame. it will be a weird combonation of letters and numbers find yours let us knew what it is...

btw
sunday i ran 38.6 gps @5470 rpm-wot- humidity was THICK and chewy..

zooker
Old 06-23-08, 11:22 PM   #48
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

The frame has A197750, does this mean the frame is from a 1977 50hp? The title has OA197750

but the title, and all indications are that it is a 1987 60hp motor? even all the parts that were ordered was for the 1987 60hp.

fuel pump kit, carb kits, stator, trigger etc.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 009.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	2379  

Last edited by joecnc2006; 06-23-08 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 01:27 AM   #49
joecnc2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Looking at the mercury chart, it is a 1986 60hp 3cyl. this is correct? its ELPTO, not sure why it says oil injected?

60 A197392 - B110788 1986 3 cyl. (prob. originally sold in 1987 with boat thats why paperwork says 1987)

http://www.maxrules.com/Merc_model_files/60-100.html

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/msn.pdf

its ELPTO, not sure why it says oil injected?

But back to the Prop which one is best i wonder? 10-1/2" 14p.? i will go with a turbo prop. just dont know which one to buy.

Joe

Last edited by joecnc2006; 06-24-08 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-24-08, 05:36 AM   #50
1FASTLASER

I haven't had the time yet to figure out this one but here's the long and short of it on the prop. The 13p is prolly going to make you smile more and be closer to a bolt on and forget it prop. The 14p will be a better prop but you would have to work with the engine height and rpms to get the max outta that prop. My recommendation definately the 14p. You might just bolt it on and never have to do anything. The worst senario is you have to raise the engine just a little to get the most out of it. Get the 14.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.