Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 05-11-11, 03:41 PM   #1
Barthez
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Swim jig Rod recommendation

hi there,

I finally decided to start using jigs and recently saw a video with KVD where he used a 7'4"Quantum Tour Elite PT Series / Heavy Action.

I am sure I could get some great input from some of you guys. I am a bit confuse...in terms of power it calls for "heavy", how about "action"?

thanks.
Barthez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 04:15 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

God I hate the term ''heavy action''..lol.

Im not familiar with that particular model,But I think alot of the PT series are fast action,but I cant be 100%

Depending on if you need a heavy rod depends on the bulk/weight of the swimjigs your tossing.What weight are you throwing?..Any bulky trailers?
I myself use a 7' mh/fast rod for 1/4-3/8oz swimjigs with big trailers with no issues.
Old 05-11-11, 04:32 PM   #3
bassboogieman

Your subject identifies SWIM jig, but your thread reads JIGS - so which technique are you talking about?

SWIM JIG? I agree with the above that a MH/fast would be my choice.
JIG? Then a Heavy/fast would be what I'd use.

These are two different presentations, so the rods would not be interchangable to get the best presention for each bait.

Swim jigs - medium line weight, fished in light vegation, around wood or weed edges and the MH would be the choice to impart the swimming action for the swim jig, similiar to fishing a spinnerbait.

Jig - heavy line, fished in heavy vegation, grass mats, wood, or rock piles. Heavy rod gives you the added power to haul bass from heavy cover. Jigs are usually fished with a hopping or lift/drop presentation and the heavy rod is fine for that.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 04:55 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Power and action are different. Power refers to what many call the backbone of the rod. action refers to how much of the rod flexes.

Like bassboogieman said, you mentioned swimjigs in the title and just jigs in your post.

I don't fish many swimjigs, but I throw them on a 7'6" MH or H power, F action rod. Check out the Dobyns Champion 764C.

For jigs, something in the 7' H/F range can be used, but I prefer a longer rod. from 7'4"-7'8". I use a Dobyns Champion Extreme DX784C ML. The DX744C makes a great jig rod too. For less money, the Champion series 734 should work good too.

BB
Old 05-11-11, 05:46 PM   #5
Bassboss

A heavy action rod is stiff, and does not have a lot of give to it. Great for setting the hook hard and horsing fish out of cover. The heavier action rod is also more popular for for chucking heavier lures because it has more backbone, it's good for flipping and pitching for the same reason. They're not so good for making short pin point and accurate casts however though. I wouldn't use a H action for swim jigs though unless you're planing on making long pitches. If you're planing on casting your jigs, accurately, than I'd suggest a MH rod. It's not impossible to make accurate casts with a H rod, but a MH rod will help you do that a lot better.
Old 05-11-11, 05:50 PM   #6
Barthez
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the reply. Average jigs from 1/4 to 1/2. Medium size trailer.
Barthez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-11, 05:52 PM   #7
keithdog

I personally believe whatever rod you are using for spinnerbaits would be fine for swim jigs. A 6 1/2-7 MH/fast or extra fast would do just fine. However, if I were working a swim jig in lilly pads or heavier cover, I'd want to throw it on my regular jig rod which is a 7' H/XF.
Old 05-12-11, 08:11 AM   #8
rrw4258

Fpr swim jigs I use my 6'10" MH/Fast Tour KVD rod. (Graphite, not the cranking rods) It has a nice light tip on it, but still has plenty of backbone for setting the hook. I like braid when fishing swim jigs, as it gives a solid hookset.

Ryan
Old 05-12-11, 09:07 AM   #9
Bender

I haven't gone so far as to get a specific rod for swim jigs so I just use a 7' MH Fast (a little less than fast) with 17# fluoro. I do prefer braid though since as Ryan said it hooks well but it also cuts through grass. On the bladed swim jigs I've just been using my spinnerbait rod, a 6'6" MH Fast with 17# fluoro.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 05:03 AM   #10
SaminVa
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I fish regular jigs on my 7'3" Falcon extra Heavy El Toro rod... it has enoooooooooough a$$ to set the hook on anything & swing it in the boat. I use my Abu Garcia Veritas 7'6" MH action rod for the swim jigs...seems to work ok...
Old 05-17-11, 11:31 AM   #11
cassidyta

I use my flipping stick as a double for my swim jigs. I just don't throw the swim jig enough to dedicate a rod to it.
For me it is an 8' extra heavy rod with a fast tip. For me, I had to force myself to pause when it first got hit because I was pulling the bait away on hook set. Once I figured out the hook set, the rod has worked fine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.