Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-11-08, 03:23 PM   #1
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Urgent Help Needed

Guys,
I've never seen anything like it. 6 inches of rain last week has Cave Run Lake up about 5'. I has been storming here today but the lake has been falling and it is muddier than a duck puddle. Temps today are in the 70's but expected to drop about 25 degrees tomorrow. To make a long story short I have a tourney tomorrow on a lake that is up 5' but falling, it is very muddy, and a cold front is coming in tonight. What do I do? I am bumfuzzled on it. HELP!!! ohh yeah water temps are in the low to mid 50's.

Thanks, in advance.
bP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 05:01 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Most guys won't tell you this, but I'd throw a liplees crank. I've had great luck fishing them during cold fronts. The only thing is you should not fish them as fast as you would during hot weather, but they still produced for me last year, especially a floating Rat-L-Trap.

BB
Old 04-11-08, 06:32 PM   #3
zooker

cold muddy falling water. they wont be shallow they likely will be near the full pond level..if ya think about it is the only really good drop in a flooded area.. have fun cause it WILL not be easy..

zooker
Old 04-11-08, 07:06 PM   #4
barkelypup

Ahh I don't guess there is much in life that is easy. To top it off weather men are forcasting wind in excess of 20 mph. I will have lots of fun though. Thanks
Old 04-11-08, 07:11 PM   #5
JB

my rule of thumb fishing raising flooded water, go to the new shallows, but if the water is lowering i'd stick to a pattern of points only, and stay with it
Muddy water, throw right on top of any stucture if you can find it, like a dock, tree, anything you can see above the water. Also use some thing loud, and I'd throw black n chartruse. Orange n yellow show up good in mud too, like a spinnerbait.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 09:35 PM   #6
bothomas

Good Luck!! I personally would start by studying a map all night tonight. Maybe look for points at the mouths of creeks into the main lake. If not there I would start looking at ledges and structure on the main lake. I don't think they will be anywhere shallow... of course, its not I understand them so well I make a living at finding them either! so I say again, Good Luck!

p.s. everyone else will be facing the same conditions so 2-3 good fish may be all it takes.
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 10:51 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

C-rig in 11-17' of water and target those primary or secondary points that have very sharp drops and plenty of cover. I'd also take a look in some of the main lake small coves and throw a crankbait, ones that dive 8-12', and crank down the center or target known cover. Cold muddy water fishing sucks. Try to find clean or clearer water.
Old 04-12-08, 09:18 PM   #8
barkelypup

It sure was a tough day. We did not boat a fish. Wind blew pretty consistant at 25 mph with gust of I am guessing 35. I am just about worn out from fighting the t/m all day. out of 67 boats 8 weighed fish but they all had decent bags for the conditions with 15.xx winning it. According to gps wind was pushing us about 6 mph. First time I had ever been sailing so to speak. Hey thanks for all the tips though. Hopefully water clears a little and is not as windy next time. I would rather fish in driving rains than fish in the wind.
Old 04-13-08, 01:29 AM   #9
carolina-rig-01

i had to look to see where you are from because that sounds exactly like our weather hear and the forcast is the exact same. guys here on table rock are starting to catch some really good quality bags as the fish are wanting to move up and do their thing. this lake is usually extremely clear (like 15' visability), but now it is muddy (like 2-3" visability). from what i hear guys are catching most of the fish on spinnerbaits in flooded brush. from what i am hearing 3lbers are cheap and 5-7lbers are fairly common. i would guess this cold front will move them out a little but i would fish the first contour drop really hard as i don't think they will go far. in fact they may stay shallow and just hold close to cover so flipping and pitching would be my second guess. just thinking out loud and i hope this helps!
Old 04-13-08, 11:19 AM   #10
bassnman30

Somebody always gets on fish. It's just finding an area that holds these fish. Some people are more familiar with the lake reguardless of how the conditions play. (your local pros)
Old 04-13-08, 12:50 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Like this kind of muddy, Kory?

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 02:21 PM   #12
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkelypup View Post
Guys,
I've never seen anything like it. 6 inches of rain last week has Cave Run Lake up about 5'. I has been storming here today but the lake has been falling and it is muddier than a duck puddle. Temps today are in the 70's but expected to drop about 25 degrees tomorrow. To make a long story short I have a tourney tomorrow on a lake that is up 5' but falling, it is very muddy, and a cold front is coming in tonight. What do I do? I am bumfuzzled on it. HELP!!! ohh yeah water temps are in the low to mid 50's.

Thanks, in advance.
bP
Think SLOW....then go slower,,,bright colors,,,dark colors...good luck
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 05:34 PM   #13
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

keep on with all the advice boys, i have a tourney on an old mississippi oxbow next sat (Lake Chicot in south arkansas). water levels are as high as they have ever been. i'm sure clarity will be an issue too. needless to say, even this many days out i'm starting to stress on what the game plan should be.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-08, 09:29 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Blunker, that Looks like Hudson. I'd estimate about 2-3 INCHES of visibility. We only had about 6" when we... er... my dad was yanking crappie outta there.

Byt he way, good luck with your tounraments guys.

BB
Old 04-14-08, 09:23 AM   #15
Lilmoosecountry

1/2 Jig with a white 5 inch Grub. Jig then pause, Jig the pause. Vey slowly.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.