Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-05, 01:08 AM   #1
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bennersj
Default 1st tourney of the year

My first tournament of the year is Feb. 12 on a lake that is about 550 acres. The water clarity will probably be stained and 1-2 feet visibility. The water temp will probably be around 42-45 degrees. I would like to know where you would fish, points, creek channels, etc.? What lures would you try? I have won tournaments on this lake and have some "honey holes" but I would like some advice on how you would fish so I can try some new stuff when I prefish. ???
bennersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 01:29 AM   #2

Default Re: 1st tourney of the year

Pre-spawn pattern I'd check out the map and look for spots bass might be staging before venturing into spawn. Points that fall into deep water, creek channels, the outsides of coves (especially if there are some wooden docks that will warm up with the sun) and it's about 5-10 feet off the end of the docks, stump fields (also hold heat). Any way that has convienent up and down for the bass.

Must ask a clarification question though. Targeting smallies or largemouth? What kind of system is it? Reservoir, river, tidal??? Any vegetation out there at all?

I'd use search baits rattle traps, slow rolling spinner baits, carolina rigs, and deadsticking senkos. Pitching/Flippin a jig isn't a bad idea either but hopefully you get some nice weather so it's not muddy. Try to find out forage base too. Good luck
Old 02-02-05, 05:01 PM   #3
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

agree with hooked
clarification please

i would use a jerk bait-xrap-and a lipless crank bait worked in a currant area of stump fields

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-05, 10:55 PM   #4
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

The lake is only about 550 acres. It has no type of vegitation (weeds, moss, etc.) there is only things like docks, stumps, and structure (points, flats, creek channels) in the lake. There is only largemouth bass in this lake, no smallmouth or kentuckies. Most of the banks are mud or clay. The lake is probably just a small man-made lake. This lake doesn't have any current.

Thanks for the post I hope I have given enough info this time 8)
Old 02-03-05, 01:18 AM   #5
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Basspro_wannabe link=board=news;num=1107317337;start=0#3 date=02/02/05 at 20:55:27]The lake is only about 550 acres. It has no type of vegitation (weeds, moss, etc.) there is only things like docks, stumps, and structure (points, flats, creek channels) in the lake. There is only largemouth bass in this lake, no smallmouth or kentuckies. Most of the banks are mud or clay. The lake is probably just a small man-made lake. This lake doesn't have any current.

Thanks for the post I hope I have given enough info this time 8)[/quote]

I would definately hit the creek channels, especially any bends in it. I prefer plastics so I would c-rig a Lizard or Possibly a fluke, and work it. I also would possibly use a Craw type bait( I like YUM) around any rocks if you have them. I dislike lakes without vegetation, but if it has wood/laydowns, especailly falling off to deeper water, I would key on that also. Just discussed stained/dirty water warms first, and also the north side of a body of water. Fish will turn on or off over a couple of degrees, especially in the temps you are descibing, so I would try for the wamer water first, unless one of your honey holes is on the south side of course.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-05, 01:35 AM   #6

With the banks being clay and muddy weather is also going to play a role. Weather leading up to the tourney more importantly. If you've had or are going to have rain it may play a role in what colors or profiles you use on your baits and also the size.

If you end up pounding the banks look for any subtle transition that breaks up the clay or mud (chunkier rock, pea gravel, etc.) Might filter out some of that run off if it does rain. Also think about any creatures (crayfish, etc.) that may get washed in.

I like Zookers jerkbait idea by the way too. Nothing like erratic action followed by IN YOUR FACE attitude from a Husky or smithwick in 40-50 degree temps.
Old 02-04-05, 12:24 AM   #7
bennersj
BassFishin.Com Member

Great info guys thanks a lot :-*

About the jerkbait, you would go for a suspending wouldn't you? Do you think a small 2-3" jerkbait would be better than a big jerkbait. The lake is not known for big bass although my first bass to catch out of this lake was a 7 1/2 pounder. I would say the average size is around 12-14 inches, that and the water temp being cold is why I think smaller would be better.
Old 02-04-05, 03:15 AM   #8
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

lots of good info here for ya

Well.. I've been doing alot of reading on the differant size of baits and when to use them. Â*And what I have been reading favors largers baits for larger bass.. however the bites may slow down bunch.. Â*soo i figure it might keep the bait in the water longer to keep 12-14 inchers off and give the 7 1/2 pounders a longer look.. but if the fish are ficle Â*might require a smaller presentation with a delacate touch. if you know what i mean.. Â*
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 07:26 PM   #9
StealthCharging
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to StealthCharging

i would target the chanels and throw a half ounce red rattle trap but thats just me
StealthCharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 07:48 PM   #10
javelinguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to javelinguy

Bassprowannabe,
How's prefishing going? Let us know the results ok?
javelinguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.