Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-25-06, 07:23 PM   #1
Bass Ackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Mike Iaconelli - DQ'ed

I'm glad to see that BASS finally addressed Mike Iaconelli's child like behavior. While I think he is am enormous talent I hate his contrived and childish behavior. I've been watching him for for a while and read his book (got it from the library) and I just can't get into him, in fact he is exactly the kind of person I avoid being associated with.

I'm sure most of the younger people will disagree with me but I was wondering what other people thought about the DQ.
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-06, 07:38 PM   #2
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i think it's o.k. that he gets excited when he catches fish.i think his display at the classic when he lost his temper was retarded and got what it deserved.
Old 02-25-06, 08:26 PM   #3
buzzdog
BassFishin.Com Member

I have to agree, I like his excitement and yelling and all. What he did at the classic was going to far. If he wants to rip the boat apart I really don't care but he should not have ripped the flag pole off and I beleive that's what really did it for him.
Old 02-25-06, 08:27 PM   #4
Nitro911

I couldn't be happier! You would think that a 33 year old would be a little more mature. I hope that his sponsors realize that the childish behavior that attracts so much attention goes both ways. When its good, it is "Hey, look at me" and it gets media attention. When it is bad, as displayed yesterday, it attracts unwanted attention. The bad attention reflects badly on the sponsors. Nothing would make me happier than if they all drop him. Berkley, Diawa, and the others don't get any of my money until they do.
Old 02-25-06, 09:34 PM   #5
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

what exactly happened at the classic i havnt been watching it because the chanel that covers it in canada is playing all that olimpic garbage

when is fishing going to be an olimpic sport
Old 02-25-06, 11:06 PM   #6
Nitro911

Ike didn't turn on his livewells, he just filled them. He found out later that all of his fish were dead or dying and he lost it. He was cussing up a storm and he kicked and broke the rear light on th eback of the boat (not his boat). His catch for the day (Day 1) was disqualified for his unsportsman like conduct.
Old 02-25-06, 11:14 PM   #7
bass kicker

o that has got to suck
Old 02-25-06, 11:31 PM   #8
InEccess
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via ICQ to InEccess

I think, while Ike is a great fisherman and his on water/stage fits bring coverage, he shouldn't be the poster child for Bassmasters. I feel that young anglers like Gerald Swindle and Skeet Reese bring more to the sport, and have an attitude that could be portrade as both fun and respectable. Gerald Swindle gives back more to the sport then any other angler, and his fishing skills are on the brink of bringing him to win the big events.
Old 02-26-06, 12:05 AM   #9
JigginJim
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911
Ike didn't turn on his livewells, he just filled them. He found out later that all of his fish were dead or dying and he lost it.
I think that the most disgusting part of the entire incident was, when he tossed that dead fish in off the back of the boat. He culled it in an effort to replace it with a live one in order to win. That was the height of his Unsportsman like behavior. He killed that fish and others in that livewell, because of his own stupidity. He might blow it all off, and call it "a passion to win". I call it Greed , and that kind of behavior doesn't do the tour any good.

There were 51 contestants in that event. Who else did you ever see behaving like that ? ? ?

The guy has a serious mental problem. I honestly would like to see him get some professional psychiatric help, and return to the tour as a Sportsman. Right now, he doesn't qualify.

- JJ
JigginJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 12:20 AM   #10
squack15
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro911
Ike didn't turn on his livewells, he just filled them. He found out later that all of his fish were dead or dying and he lost it. He was cussing up a storm and he kicked and broke the rear light on th eback of the boat (not his boat). His catch for the day (Day 1) was disqualified for his unsportsman like conduct.
Doesn't that saying go, "Any attention is good attention"? He makes headlines a lot, and I think thats what his sponsors like. I think a large part of his act is staged soley for the attention. I believe a large part of it is calculated and staged. I've talked to professional anglers that have said hes actually quite a humble person when you fish with him out of the spotlight. Hes a bundle of energy and gets very excited, but can actually be..... polite.....took me by surprise. I think the DQ was the correct thing to do, but I think this act will just make him more popular.
squack15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-06, 10:45 AM   #11
bass kicker

but his sponcers are not going to like that type of attention

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.