Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-22-12, 09:38 AM   #1
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

Default umbrella rigs

In the Winter Issue of BAM, we're a looking at some of the unique qualities of certain umbrella rigs.

Do you think it will have the impact that it did last year?
Old 10-23-12, 08:52 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Its a tool and like any has its uses this year fish dont appear to be schooling here as usual.somewhat due to existing grass still available shallow.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 07:31 PM   #3
bassinbob

I think on certain bodies of water where it performed well it might be used again. Especially if someone comes up with a winning combination of baits to hook up. Then again if it's a hot bite everyone will throw it.
Old 10-24-12, 09:00 PM   #4
bassboogieman

Quote:
Then again if it's a hot bite everyone will throw it.
I won't.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-12, 09:39 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bama and I tried it last sunday. I made about 3 casts. I hate it. Might catch fish, but the casting is clumsy and I can only guess the catching would be less exciting, like pulling a bass in that is totally covered in grass.
Old 10-26-12, 08:57 PM   #6
Thingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I have no interest in ever throwing it. It doesn't suit my area so much and doesn't suit my fishing style at all.
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-12, 10:21 PM   #7
Rebbasser

It definitely has some great potential. The thing that jumps out to me is you have to use heavier tackle to use it. I bought a saltwater rod that can handle the heavier weights. I also started making my own which is fun. When people start to throw it they forget that this isn't a 3/4 oz. lure-it is a 3-4 oz. lure-or heavier-so you will need heavier gear to throw it.

Like lilmule said, it is a tool and there is a time and place for it.
Old 10-26-12, 11:11 PM   #8
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
It definitely has some great potential. The thing that jumps out to me is you have to use heavier tackle to use it. I bought a saltwater rod that can handle the heavier weights. I also started making my own which is fun. When people start to throw it they forget that this isn't a 3/4 oz. lure-it is a 3-4 oz. lure-or heavier-so you will need heavier gear to throw it.

Like lilmule said, it is a tool and there is a time and place for it.
Not here in MN there isn't...since it's not legal here.

Even if it was legal here, Thingfish captured my thoughts on it anyway.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-12, 11:29 AM   #9
WTL

If I were just looking for tools that help me get bass in the boat, an electroshocker would be first and foremost on my list.
Old 10-27-12, 11:35 AM   #10
bamabassman

i have 3 of these rigs. given to me by friends. i have tried it with no luck. billy andi DID try it last sunday, slung it for what...bout 5 casts, hahaa. we had better luck witht he crankbait, single crankbait. but i do think there is a time and place for this rig. i will continue to try this rig if only to see it i can get me a double, hahaha!

but i also am gonna try to use the HELICOPTER lure again too. it HAS to catch fish. roland said so.

but for real, the UMBRELLA RIG will work. i jsut gotta use it more than 5 casts i think. lol.
Old 10-27-12, 12:39 PM   #11
joedog

I rarely throw a Carolina rig cause I find it cumbersome.
This doohikey will never be thrown by me'
Now the Yumbrella (3 rig)maybe with some 1/8 oz. long shank jigs with grub trailers.
Just maybe...

Heck if I was into throwing 2oz. rigs all day I'd be a Musky fisher. At least you get to really feel the bite, the action and everything else associated with fishing.
Someone mention, 'like pulling fish through heavy vegetation', I think it's more like getting a snag in veg. and then pulling it all back, and nothing but salad.
I'm not seeing it as a shore fishing 'tool' at all!
Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-12, 04:36 PM   #12
lilmule

I toss a crig a lot when on main lake and toss shallow bringing it back to deep,likewhere 16 ft comes in close to shore,1/2 oz weight braid to swivel then 10 lb mono seldom lose but maybe 1 rig a day break it off at swivel if hung.
I use a heavy action frog jig rod to toss arigs or tn 3 rigs keep the baits reasonable you will cast it more than 3 times,it is however designed for schooling and active fish,and a spinnerbait is much better to scout along the bank.If you see jumps the arig is what to toss in to bring more than one back,works on both black and white bass and other species.
So its sort of a specialized tool,not a jack of all trades but usefull where legal none the less.I own three all are three rig no baits larger than a 3.5 and some smaller.They often key here on 2 in shiners.This time of year one on deck ,may or may not be using it as little schooling action so far,but its there.The ones I use are fairly light can be reeled across the top even,as some make them out of fiberglass or epoxy etc even bouyant.
The average pic you see of a big guy and a big rod with big baits does not apply in most cases.
And just because you can toss a 5 rig if legal , doesnt mean you have to you can toss a 3 or toss smaller baits on it than 4.8 blueback herring immitations,your back will love you at the end of the day.
Plus you wont have to shell out for a matt lures swimbait rod.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-27-12 at 04:47 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-12, 02:00 AM   #13
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

What do you think about the tourney orgs that are banning it?
Old 10-28-12, 11:07 PM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAnglerMagazine View Post
What do you think about the tourney orgs that are banning it?
I personally don't have a problem with people using it while fun fishing. I think if it gets more people involved in the sport then it will most likely do more good than harm for our sport in the long run, and I can see how people that have never had any interest in fishing may become interested in fishing because of the Alabama rig.

However I do not feel that it has any place in a tournament. Not so much because of fish mortality, although I think that is a concern that needs to be considered whether fun fishing or tournament fishing. But I think in a tournament it cheapens things. A guy who has no clue what is going on can possibly go all day without a bite and catch a limit on his last cast of the day and maybe beat a guy who has been on fish from the very begining.
Old 10-28-12, 05:32 AM   #15
joedog

I'm more concerned about them ending the kick-offs in a football game.

I really don't have strong feelings one way or another.
Umbrella rigs are really not a 'lure', they are a presentation technique.
You can't 'troll' while in a bass tourney, (presentation technique) and some say the umbrella doohickeys are just 'stand still trolling rigs'.

Some feel it's a 'no skill' technique and if allowed un-skilled anglers like a guy named 'dogjoe' could compete and maybe even win.

Now I'd never call a Walleye tournament angler unskilled, heck I wouldn't even call a Crappie tournament angler lacking in skill.

But how much skill is involved when using a 'hydro-wave unit' which the VAST majority use all day and every time they fish a tourney.
Oh ya, can't allow the product 0WENED by, not developed by, the professions top angler be classified as 'unskilled' can we now. Ya I know Kriets involved too.
Last I checked, 'chumming' was still not allowed. Isn't a 'hydro' just electronic chumming?

Bottom line, as long as everyone in each individual Tourney has the same rules it's fair, in my opinion that is.

Oh, BAM bot, I almost got a BAM subscription but when I checked I couldn't find the 'shore fishing' section WE discussed in an earlier bot question you asked.
Oh well.
Old 10-28-12, 09:41 AM   #16
bassboogieman

My personal opinin: The A-rig is not "sportsmanlike", if that's a word. My concept of fishing is to fish with a line and A LURE. Rigs like the A-rig, whether with 5 baits or 3, is contrary to my thinking as it allows fishing with 3 to 5 SEPERATE LURES. I think bass tournaments (in particular) should ban ALL multiple bait/lure rigs - that would include the double fluke, a drop shot with a jig as the weight, etc. What the heck is next? A worm daisy chain? Just as tournament rules only allow one rod to be used at a time, I think it should be the same with "lures" - ONE at a time. As for the "big" tournament trails - I hope they all BAN it, not just in the states (like mine) where the 5-bait rig already is, but every state.
Old 10-29-12, 06:10 PM   #17
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I couldn't help it, reading and seeing so about it. I already owned the equipment to throw it, watching schooling shad getting pounded, I gave in and bought several rigs, 3, and 5 arm, yumbrella, and some custom rigs(spinners, and buzzers), plus the price was right(you can get them pretty cheap now). Started using Big Hammer, then BBZ's, Huddlestons, Mattlure baby gills, you name it, if I have at least three of them, I will throw them on. Surprisingly, it hasn't produced the bigger fish I expected it to, and none of the Striper I was specifically targeting. Like others have said, just another tool.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 07:28 PM   #18
bassboogieman

Dog, you do know the 5-arm is illegal in PA & MD?
Old 10-29-12, 09:25 PM   #19
Rebbasser

After thinking about it I really think not using them in a tournament is probably a good thing-traditionally only using one lure at a time has always been the rule, and I am old school. I have bought several and made several and it is fun to throw, but I doubt I would use it in a tournament. But, then again, I fish for fun, not cast for cash.
Old 10-29-12, 10:25 PM   #20
Dogmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Yeah, I know the 5 arm with 5 baits with hooks is illegal. I use the five arm either with two willow leaf spinners, or rigged with five baits but only 3 will have hooks(sometimes rigged the Bill Siemental way, four hookless BBZ Shads, and a 6" BBZ). All perfectly legal as far as my DNR/F&G guys are concerned.
Old 10-30-12, 03:23 PM   #21
bassinbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
What bugs me is they are illeagl on private ponds and lakes in Pa. I think that is a bunch of crap.
Old 10-30-12, 04:15 PM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAnglerMagazine View Post
In the Winter Issue of BAM, we're a looking at some of the unique qualities of certain umbrella rigs.

Do you think it will have the impact that it did last year?

No.....Not with the Cast net rig coming in 2013..
We're still testing it on local water but should be ready to ship before spring.
Old 10-30-12, 11:58 PM   #23
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
No.....Not with the Cast net rig coming in 2013..
We're still testing it on local water but should be ready to ship before spring.
And NO hooks and ONE line, will be legal EVERYWHERE!
Old 10-31-12, 10:21 AM   #24
Dogmatic

^^^talk about illegal! Special permit that cost $15, and you can only use on specific body of water that you bought the permit for. What outfit would u use, could I get by using a flipping stick?
Old 11-08-12, 03:00 AM   #25
BassAnglerMagazine
BassFishin.Com Member

In looking up state-by-state laws, we found out there are many rules that govern the rig. You can even find bodies of water that have different laws depending on which side of the lake you are on ie: if one side is in one state and another side is in another state - making it even more difficult esp. in a tournament situation. Would a fishery that has two sets of rules depending on which side you were fishing change your mind for a ban in a tournament setting?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.