Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-11, 11:47 AM   #1
Haden
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1oz Tungsten Flipping Weight

New member, and new to Guntersville, Alabama. That being said, I have a lot of questions. Haha... I have been told that I need to flip using a 1oz tungsten weight. How many people in general flip with a 1oz or heavier weight?
Haden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11, 01:38 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It really depends on what kind of cover you'll be flipping. Around here, I rarely use over 1/2oz and 3/8oz is what I use a lot.

Out west when they punch the heavy grass mats, they'll use 1, 1-1/2, and even 2oz weights. Of course, this takes heavy line and a broomstick of a rod.

The general rule I follow is to go as light as I can and still get my bait through the cover. Buy a couple different weights like 1/2, 3/4, and 1oz and try them out to see what works best for you.

BB
Old 06-20-11, 06:23 PM   #3
bamabassman

where at on guntersville are you fishing? i fish g'ville and haven't ever used that myself.
Old 06-20-11, 06:53 PM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

1oz is my norm when flipping into the hyrdilla or the cat tails. I will go up to 2oz when there is junk on the surface.

I usually use 25lbs fluoro for the lighter locations and straight braid when going with a higher weight.
Old 06-20-11, 07:41 PM   #5
Haden
BassFishin.Com Member

I really haven't flipped any of the locations I have fished at yet, because the conditions were not right. Plus I do not have a casting rod that is long enough or stiff enough. So far I have used a rattle trap, monster worm, lizard, crankbait, frog, and small jig. The locations I have fished are south west of Alred Marina. The shell beds that are just up river from the Guntersville Yacht club. Directly in front of the state park, and the back side of Buck island. I haven't fished up river past the power lines, nor have I gone past the point at the state park. Like I said, I'm new and my knowledge is limited.
Old 06-20-11, 08:43 PM   #6
Jrob78

I don't do much flipping but I do pitch quite a bit. I try to use the lightest weight that will get my bait where it needs to be. I usually start with 3/8 and go up if needed. If you're punching mats, 1oz might not be enough. If you're pitching to isolated cover, lighter will usually work.
Old 06-20-11, 10:59 PM   #7
bamabassman

ok haden, question for ya buddy. do you have a boat? or are you fishing from the shore?
if from the shore, go to the boat slips at the lodge marina. fish there bud. use the traps, spinnerbaits and worms/lizzards (texas rigged) good fishing right there.
if oyu have a boat, use the lizards and worms and jigs (at least a 3/8 ounce jig) and flip into and under the trees that are down. use the spinnerbaits along the side of the grass line. rattle trap works here too. use the yo-yo retrieve on the traps. i have had better luck doing that. also if you have a boat, ride up towards b.b. comer bridge and fish the grass there as well as the ledges.
Old 06-21-11, 09:36 AM   #8
Haden
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you very much for the info! I do have a boat, and usually put in at Alred's or across from Guntersville boat mart. I will drive up and launch a little closer to Comer bridge one day this week. I haven't fished past the state park, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-21-11, 04:48 PM   #9
bamabassman

try hitting south sauty and north sauty frist. then town creek and brown creek. they are before oyu get to b.b.comer. great fishing all long there.
Old 06-26-11, 01:50 PM   #10
3dkicker

When the grass gets thick you'll need the 1oz or better weight. I use small craws like Paca, Power Hawg, or BB Cricket to get through the grass. Once the bait punches the grass the bass will hit on the fall, or if you hop it up and down on the bottom, and finally before you pull it back through the grass make sure you bounce it on the underside of the grass. Tipical bite is a tap but sometimes the line will just slide off to one side or it will just get heavy. Braided line is the best for this type of fishing but you can use heavy mono or fluoro if you wish. Having the correct rod for this type of fishing is also a major component. I use a Loomis Mossyback 7'5" Med-Hvy, Fast which works real well with the heavy weight. Make sure the rod isn't too soft or you'll bog down in the grass and it'll feel like you have a fish on every cast.
Old 06-30-11, 12:56 AM   #11
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
It really depends on what kind of cover you'll be flipping. Around here, I rarely use over 1/2oz and 3/8oz is what I use a lot.

Out west when they punch the heavy grass mats, they'll use 1, 1-1/2, and even 2oz weights. Of course, this takes heavy line and a broomstick of a rod.

The general rule I follow is to go as light as I can and still get my bait through the cover. Buy a couple different weights like 1/2, 3/4, and 1oz and try them out to see what works best for you.

BB
yep, good advise there. I would say the only exception is if you find they want a faster fall, usually in the spring.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.