Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-12, 01:44 AM   #1
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Carolina Rigging

I'm interested in trying out carolina rigging. I have before, but never to an extent. I know that it is a very versatile rig, but I need a way to build up my confidence in it. I have never caught a bass on it before. I would appreciate some tips on leader length, material, and # test, bait options, sinker size, presentation tips (is it all just reel slow and drag?), where to fish it, rod, reel, main line, etc. This is a shout out to all serious carolina riggers! Thanks for reading and your replies, BFK
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 09:31 AM   #2
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here's some info I wrote some years ago:

http://www.imaginationbassin.com/Carolinarig.htm
Old 02-26-12, 09:42 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Well BFK I'm sure entire books have been written about c-riggin and while I'm no expert I am serious. Leader length is a decision you'll have to make on the water depending on the conditions. IMO 24" is a good all-around length but I seldom go shorter than 12 or longer than 36.

Most people seem to use braid or fluoro as main and mono as leader. 7- 7 1/2 MH rod...high capacity high speed BC reel. # Test again depends on depth/cover etc. I favor #12. As far as baits go this technique started years ago using 3"-4" "do-nothing" type worms with 2 hooks molded in. Those old school baits still work but are hard to find. Basically you can use anything you'd like...use your imagination. For the past few years I've been c-rigging #11 and #13 Original Floating rapalas with good success. In mid summer I might be rigging a 10-12" worm.

Sinker weight and style again depends on conditions/depth/wind/bait....I tend to use 1/2-3/4 egg most of the time. You can fish a c-rig anywhere you want but generally I find myself using them when I have determined the fish are hugging the bottom...duh. Let's say you want to see if there are some fish on a point but the wind is blowing hard and it would take you an hour to bump a T-rig not to mention that contact baits are hard to stay in contact with on a windy day.....break out the c-rig and you can cover that point quicker and more effectively.

Good idea to have one on deck all the time and throw it out in different situations just to get a feel for how it works and get some confidence in it. Standard retrieve is the slow and steady type but you can and should try long pauses--moderate and faster retrieves...just play around and experiment. C-rigs are normally used as search baits to cover a lot of ground quickly...just like you might use a spinnerbait or crank, but one of it's other stengths is slowly hunting for big fish in deep water. Because of the long leader you can present a big plastic in weightless-like manner. Everyone knows that bass are suckers for a weightless senko or trick worm, but few have the patience or time to throw one in 20+ ft of water. So with the c-rig you get the best of both worlds...your bait gets down ther quick...you have much better "feel" and the big fish you're lusting after picks up a weightless worm and slowly swims off as the line slips effortlessly through the egg and then WHAM.

Since I seem to be writing a book anyway let me add this. I like to anchor the boat front and rear at a high confidence area (like out on the deep end of a point or out from a neck down area..or whatever) then lob out a c-rig and set in the rod holder. Then fish around with a T-rig or finesse or a jig and then give the c-rig a few slow handle turns every 2 or 3 minutes. If cover will allow I prefer exposed hook rigs...amazing how often a fish will eat your worm and hook themselves while it's just sitting out there.

Anyway I encourage you to learn to c-rig...there are times when it is an excellent tool.
Old 02-26-12, 11:59 AM   #4
joedog

Ken, George, great information!
Thanks.
Old 02-26-12, 01:05 PM   #5
bassboogieman

At times using plastics that float can be awsome, that keeps the bait just off bottom and moving a little if you have any current. If you can't find the particular bait you want in a floater - custom guys can add floatant to any of the lures they pour. If you need a referral hey, I know a guy.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 10:33 PM   #6
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I went out and bought some carolina rig shortcuts. The rod that I will probably use is a 7' Heavy action 3/8 - 2 oz with a 7.2:1 reel and 50# braid. Any sugestions? Does this sound about right?
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-12, 10:42 PM   #7
kennethdaysale

If your talking about the shortcuts I think you are they eliminate the need for a swivel. Personally I don't recommend using braid for the terminal end. It's widely preferred to use a mono or fluoro leader, so if you want to use a leader you prob should use the swivel...unless you've got a line to line knot you're awfully confident in.
Old 02-28-12, 11:18 PM   #8
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

IMO, the Carolina rig is way under used today, nowa days, it's primarily used for deep water in the summer around points and ledges. While it's still very effective for this, I think it's underused my many, including my self. I did however get into some last spring and summer. I used it anywhere I would use a texas rig or jig. I used allot of brush hogs and creature baits, but also had success with paddle tail worms. I think the free swinging weight really help convince those sluggish warm water largemouth. I used a light 3/16 oz bullet sinker, and a bead if I happened to have one! But didn't really see a difference in catch rate with or without one. IMO you should always used the smallest hook you can, it'll give the plastic you got on it a "freer" action. I think this video by Boyd Duckett is pretty informative, check it out! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO63FqEncsw

I think any rod you'd use for the jigs and texas rigs would work if you're not fishing deep and heavy. The longer rod will help drag it further, and give you a better hook set. I used a 7' MH rod with a 6:1 reel with 12lb fluoro and 12lb CXX leader. I dragged it, or would fish it like a t-rig both caught fish (experiment)... make sure you keep a tight line though however you fish it; if not, one can pick it up and you wont even feel it due to the weight being so far ahead of the plastic, and you'll end up gut hooking one.

As far as leader length and weight, always use the lightest weight you can get away with while maintain contact with the bottom. Experiment with leader lengths, start longer ~ 4 feet, and shorten it from there, it's easier to start longer and go shorter then it it is go short and always retie you leader to make it longer. How ever if you're around grass I think 2 1/2 feet is optimal, it keep the weight and bait together so you don't loose feel when one bites through the grass, but lets it ride higher in the water column then a shorter one would.

Last edited by Bassboss; 02-28-12 at 11:30 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 12:11 AM   #9
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

A lot of good info, helped me out a lot as well.

I've been hearing a lot about c-rigs the last few days just by chance on youtube. I might have to give em a shot this year.

Thanks
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.