Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-21-12, 10:56 PM   #1
basslover1
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Best flippin/pitchin reel

guys: Just got a Shimano Compre 7'6" f/p stick. 17-30lbs line, 3/8-1oz lure wt. What reel do you suggest I get for this rod? Some have suggested a Shimano Castaic, others an Ardent 700, others say a BPS Carbonlite Black and others recommend any kind of decent baitcaster. Would spend $75-175. Help! And Thanks.
basslover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-12, 07:49 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

There are several reels that will work. Bass Pro Shops big spring sale starts this weekend. Myself, I would choose a Revo. I use the STX for most of my pitching into cover. But I also use the Revo SX, another great reel with a solid strong drag and smooth casting. You can pick up a Revo SX at BPS durring the sale for a very fair price.
Old 02-22-12, 08:15 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If this outfit is going to be strictly flippin then I would suggest you buy the LIGHTEST reel you can fit in your budget and that BALANCES well on your rod. A flipping reels only real purpose is to hold line...just make sure it's got a SOLID frame and STRONG drag since you are likely to ying back on a stout fish
Old 02-22-12, 02:10 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Don't over-think it on a flipping reel. You want something that is solid and will hold up to the high impact that goes along with flipping and pitching, but you don't have to drop a ton of money on one either. I am a Revo guy and with the exception of a few Prolite reels that I use for casting light baits, every reel I own is either a Revo Winch or Revo SX. I have been very happy with using a Revo SX for flipping and pitching and if I had to go buy another reel for that technique today, I would buy another SX. But make sure you get a reel that feels good in your hands, and has a higher speed gear ratio for getting the fish out of the cover fast.
Old 02-23-12, 02:16 PM   #5
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a Shimano Castaic and its Scorpion cousin. Once you get used to that thumb bar, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I use it in a left hand model so I never have to switch hands.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-12, 04:58 PM   #6
DVT Mike

Metal frame, good drag, reasonable weight and lefty (if right handed). This leaves lots to choose from. The "Insta-gage" type flipping switches are a weak link and serve little purpose IMO. The thumb lever Daiwa uses is not bad though.
Old 02-25-12, 05:18 PM   #7
Lvitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I use a Shimano Castaic and its Scorpion cousin. Once you get used to that thumb bar, you'll wonder how you lived without it. I use it in a left hand model so I never have to switch hands.
I use the castaic for the exact same reason. +1
Old 02-25-12, 10:36 PM   #8
boloson

just got a used steez and man this thing pitches like roger clemens. have to really pay attention to your thumb with this bad boy
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 12:26 AM   #9
Tavery5

Lets change the direction of this thread a little, it is starting to become one of those I use this reel because its the best threads.

So let's try something like if you post what reel you like for pitching and flipping, tell us why you like it, what makes it especially good for flipping and pitching. Brakes, weight, spool design, bearings, line capacity, whatever you think makes it a good choice.
Old 02-26-12, 09:34 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

While most reels will be fine for flipping, pitching is much easier with the right reel.

You want a reel with a shallow (therefore, lightweight) spool. The light spool with get started easier than with a heavier spool. This will allow you to pitch with much more ease. Shallow spool finesse reels like the Daiwa Sol, Steez 103, TD-Z 103, TD-Z 105, Shimano Curado 50/51, Core 50/51, Revo MGX, etc. work great for pitching, even with lighter baits.

You also want a reel with a good drag. However, in most cases, finesse reels are more about smooth consistent drag than raw stopping power. So you'll have to make sacrifices somewhere, or do some upgrading.

I also like a fast reel. 30+ IPT.

I don't pitch a whole lot, but use the Revo STX when I do. I also do some light pitching with my Daiwa Sol.

BB
Old 02-26-12, 07:06 PM   #11
basslover1
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Did decide on the Revo SX-HS left handed and picked it up from BPS where there was a $30 rebate and a $30 coupon if you gave them an old reel and since I bought the demo because they had no lefty model and it would have taken 2 weeks to get it, the mgr gave me another $15 off! A $170 reel for less than $100. But the best part is it feels terrific in my hand and all your help was great Went out yesterday to try it out and amazingly caught a good size bass on my third pitch. Thought I'd just practice with it, but it's a good start.
basslover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-12, 12:23 PM   #12
joedog

Good to hear it basslover1!

Welcome to the site!
Look forward to learning from you!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.