Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-06-12, 06:08 PM   #1
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default swim jig vs t-rigged

Texas-rigged soft plastics are my confidence baits. Jigs are one of my weak points - yes, I have several. So I started thinking (I know, dangerous, right?) ...what are the real differences between a t-rigged plastic and a jig, specifically a swim jig?

If I texas-rigged a bullet sinker and a 4/0 EWG hook, then put a spare rubber skirt on the front with a grub trailer of some type wouldn't it be similar to a swim-jig?

The main diferences would be:
1. A sliding sinker
2. No plastic weed guard
3. An embedded (or tex-posed) hook

What would be the disadvantges?
1. It might be difficult to get the plastic skirt to stay in the right position
2. It may not sit on the bottom like some stand-up jigs (though I was talking about a swim-jig)

Advantages?
1. I would be fishing a more comfortable/confident technique for me
2. I already have the stuff to make a t-rigged swim jig - nothing new to buy and less stuff in the tackle box
3. I never liked the plastic weed guards on jigs (It always seems like everyone has a different opinion on whether you should leave them alone, fan them out, thin them out or shorten them.)
4. The shape would be symetrical, having less chance to roll onto it's side
5. It may be more weedless
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-12, 07:32 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I often will have both rigged up and experiment to see if there is a preference that day. The main differnece that I would point out is that a t rigged soft plastic will usually slip through vegitation better than a jig. Usually, I prefer pegging my t rigged plastics, especially if working around heavier vegitation or wood. More open water I leave it unpegged.
Old 03-06-12, 11:31 PM   #3
basstech

I don't think there is any substitute for a bass jig, you might as well swim a hula grub on a t-rigged setup instead of trying to piece together 3 or 4 components to make a simulated swim jig. You would be better off leaving all your soft plastics at home and forcing yourself to learn and love a bass jig. I was the same way, fished all maner of soft plastics in all manner of rigs, but had no confidence in jigs. Knowing this was costing me at one level or another, I forced myself to learn, and consequently ended up loving fishing jigs, espeacially after getting a really good jig rod.
Old 03-06-12, 11:53 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What you have effectively made is a punch rig, they make special weights that make it easy to attach a skirt to the rig. While this rig is effective I think it fishes allot more vertical and while it would swim ok, I don't think that it is going to be a better tool than the swimjig with trailer.
Old 03-07-12, 08:49 AM   #5
IowaBasser

If it isn't obvious, I don't have any experience with swim jigs. I'm finding out that a very similar presentation to a swim jig would be a Hula Grub or Spider Grub. What are the pros and cons of a Spider/Hula Grub vs. a Swim Jig?

editted: Here's an interesting article about Hula Grubs that shows them used either traditional jig heads or Texas Rigged with a bullet sinker: Springing the Hula on Early Season Bass
Old 03-07-12, 10:21 AM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Sounds like a good alternitve to the swim jig! I'm not sure how to the hook ups would be as appose to a swimjig, but it's definitly worth a try if you're fishing around thicker vegitation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstech View Post
I don't think there is any substitute for a bass jig, you might as well swim a hula grub on a t-rigged setup instead of trying to piece together 3 or 4 components to make a simulated swim jig. You would be better off leaving all your soft plastics at home and forcing yourself to learn and love a bass jig. I was the same way, fished all maner of soft plastics in all manner of rigs, but had no confidence in jigs. Knowing this was costing me at one level or another, I forced myself to learn, and consequently ended up loving fishing jigs, espeacially after getting a really good jig rod.
I used to think along the same lines as that, but I'm not so sure anymore.

I was once watching a video done by Bill Seimentell, talking about just bringing something to force yourself to learn it (he used swimbaits as his example). He said it's not always a good idea, a jig swimbait, or any other lure is not gonna work on every hour of any day of fishing as well as something else would. There's a time and a place for ever lure. Just taking one would be limiting yourself.

I'm not saying one way is right, and one is wrong, it's just another way of viewing things.
Old 03-07-12, 01:30 PM   #7
basstech

So what's your Point Bassboss?
Old 03-07-12, 01:40 PM   #8
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
If it isn't obvious, I don't have any experience with swim jigs. I'm finding out that a very similar presentation to a swim jig would be a Hula Grub or Spider Grub. What are the pros and cons of a Spider/Hula Grub vs. a Swim Jig?

editted: Here's an interesting article about Hula Grubs that shows them used either traditional jig heads or Texas Rigged with a bullet sinker: Springing the Hula on Early Season Bass

I think of the Hula as more of a shakey head, football head type jig and fish it in that way.

The swimjig is more like a spinnerbait and a Hula grub would make for a good trailer on a swimjig.
Old 03-07-12, 03:47 PM   #9
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I think of the Hula as more of a shakey head, football head type jig and fish it in that way.

The swimjig is more like a spinnerbait and a Hula grub would make for a good trailer on a swimjig.
Thanks for the info Tavery... I have a lot of respect for your experience and advice you post on the boards. You always seem to have very thoughtful responses and don't make me feel stupider (yes, I said stupider) when I'm inquiring about a technique I know very little about!
Old 03-07-12, 03:52 PM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
Thanks for the info Tavery... I have a lot of respect for your experience and advice you post on the boards. You always seem to have very thoughtful responses and don't make me feel stupider (yes, I said stupider) when I'm inquiring about a technique I know very little about!

Thank You, that is a very nice thing to say, and it is very much appreciated.

If you can, get yourself a couple of swimjigs, they are inexpensive and we are in my opinion reaching one of the prime times for them.

If you have a GM close, they carry the All Terrain Swimjig, it is a good, low cost model. I have had great luck on the green pumpkin jig with a matching green pumpkin single tailed grub for a trailer. I have had some luck with the black/brown/amber and Texas craw colors also, but prefer the green pumpkin.

They are almost impossible to fish wrong, throw it out and vary your retrieve from a slow crawl to a fast burn in the upper water column, the fish will let you know what they want.

Above all else, stick with it, don't give up on the bait too soon.

The 5/16 oz bait is a good all round choice, and the 3/8 is a little easier to keep deep and slow crawl.

I could talk about swimjigs all day, they are one of my favorite baits, if you have any questions shoot me a PM or make a post. There are many here that are quickly becoming experts with the swimjig.

Good Luck

Last edited by Tavery5; 03-07-12 at 04:07 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 02:10 AM   #11
b.a.s.17

Tavery what kind of situations are you fishing the swimjig in right now? I tried it last fall and didn't have much luck, but I really want to learn this technique!
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 02:49 AM   #12
Tavery5

Can you start another thread please, don't want to hijack.
Old 03-09-12, 08:40 AM   #13
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Can you start another thread please, don't want to hijack.
Go ahead, hijack away! I've pretty much made up my mind to give swim jigs some serious time on the end of my line this spring, and would love to hear more about them.

...and the home-made Texas-rigged thing I was originally talking about in this thread is really close to "Yamamoto Single Tail Hula Grubs" with a bullet sinker so I'm going to give those a try as well.
Old 03-09-12, 10:01 AM   #14
joedog

This may not interest you then?

http://www.dmcustombaits.com/2010/09...-punch-skirts/
Old 03-09-12, 12:16 PM   #15
Tavery5

I use a swimjig this time of year to target big female bass. When the water reaches about 55 degrees the smaller males will move on to the spawning flats and start fanning out their nest, you can catch these fish but they are not the target. The females like to wait for the water temp to reach a steady 60-62 degrees before they move on the nests to lay eggs. Prior to them going to the nests they generally move out of the deeper water, and will find areas that are just off the spawning flats in about 5-8ft of water. These are the ones we want, position yourself so you can throw a swimjig adjacent to the deeper area off the flat, I like to start with a bigger trailer and slowly crank it with the jig just above the bottom. If the slow roll is not the ticket change trailer or jig weight and start speeding up your retrieve and work your way up the water column to find where you get the best strikes.

Like I said before, don't give up on the bait too soon, sometimes it may take several cast to catch that first one, but when you catch a couple, seems like you can really get them fired up.

This has been a very productive pattern for me, play with throwing the bait across the flats at the smaller males, you will get a bunch of chasers but sometimes it helps create interest in the bait.

Other baits that have worked well in the same way are spinnerbaits and jerkbaits, give it a try, it has worked well for me
Old 03-10-12, 12:38 AM   #16
b.a.s.17

Thanks for the write up Tavery I'll give it a try tomorrow!
b.a.s.17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.