Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-12-06, 06:59 PM   #1
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Post any tips for fishing Chataque Lake in new york

i have a tournament in may on Chataque Lake (near dunkirk) and i have never fished it so i was wondering if you have any tips for fishing it
Old 04-12-06, 08:13 PM   #2
pig n jig

Its spelled Chautauqua Lake. May is not a good time to fish the lake, September , October months on Chautauqua can yeild really big smallmouths, it usually takes 25-30 lb stringer per 5 fish limit to be in the money,where as I would expect a 12-16 lb stringer for May to be in the money.I use a 1oz. chartruese spinnerbait with chartruese blade in size 3.5 & 4.5. You want the spinnerbait in 6-8" below the surface reeled with a fast retreive reel to keep it near the surface.It will really wear you out throwing the heavy spinnerbait, but it works well and saves on your Tungstun weights, there are a ton of spotted gar in the lake.Depending on where you launch, usually depends on where you fish. I love the north end, there is a huge buoyed marked hump in the middle of the north end.If you cant catch 5 fish in less than half of a hour off from it, your in for a real long day of battling spotted gar and walleye.One thing in the middle of the lake there is route 86(used to be route 17) which is a four lane highway running across the lake.Do not , I repeat do not go over the 5 MPH No wake zone speedlimit, or you will most likey get the autographs of the police patrol unit on the ticket you will receive. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 09:15 PM   #3
bass kicker

thanks i was just spelling it how they spelled it in the tourney list and it they changed the date to june

but thanks again PNJ
Old 04-15-06, 09:26 PM   #4
pig n jig

BK, June is better.senko's and, or a spinnerbait with a jig and or a tube bait , or a 5" Zoom green pumpkin lizards on a mini carolina rig would be my choice, but then again I am not always correct .Let me know how you did by instant message, My club will not be going there this year due to predicted rising fuel costs.So far the gas companies are doing their best not to prove us wrong, Gas is $290-$3.05 here this weekend depending on gas sale day or not. P N J
Old 04-15-06, 09:29 PM   #5
bass kicker

the lake i am talkindg about is near dunkirk is it the same one and its a 3-4 hour drive for hear and gas just went up to 103.9 a LITER that is huge

but thanks for the info again
Old 04-15-06, 09:59 PM   #6
pig n jig

BK, Yep, its the same one.I am about 2 hours away.That lake gets constant fishing pressure because of the trophy smallmouths its noted for having.
Old 04-17-06, 12:41 PM   #7
bass kicker

thanks again alot of the people in the club i am going up with will be targeting the smallies i am hoping to get some nice largemouths

and thanks again PNJ

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.