Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-19-05, 03:30 AM   #1
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07
Default Backlash!!!

i recently bought a shimano low-profile baitcasting reel, went to use it, but i had a huge problem with backlash, and i had to keep going back to my spinning reel, i really like the feel of the baitcasting reel and was wondering how i could reduce this backlash problem! thanks.
Old 08-19-05, 07:25 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Lonestar be sure you have the reel set for the weight of the lure you are using and if you are new to the baitcasting scene then practice practice practice. One way to set the spool tension is hold you rod at arms length with the lure you are fishing and back off the spool tension till the lure slowly falls to the ground and stops when it hits the ground. Then try (if so eqipped) to set the magnetic at the halway setting and increase as your experience increases.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 07:34 AM   #3
River stumps

I will try to help you. On one side of your reel you have a windage adjustment, from 0 to 10. You want to set that on the half way mark, usually around 5. Then on the other side you have a round knob. Keep those in mind. Make sure you have your reel filled with the appropiate line. Now put a bait on and let off on your brake. After you have done this, hold your rod straight out, and remove your thumb from the thum bar. If the bait falls to the ground and the spool stoops at the same time, you are good to go. If line keeps comimg off the reel when the baits touches the ground. Here is how you make that adjustment. On the side of the reel is the round knob. Tighten it up just a little and try the same thing again. Do this until your line stops reeling off at the same time the bait hits the ground. Wjhen you hve it in sync, you are ready for the cast... Dont cast hard, youse your wrist along with your thumd and practise. You will be an expert in no time. Good luck with your bait casting. Also, when you change to a different size weight. Do the round knob adjustment. Happy fishingl
River stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 03:32 PM   #4
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

thanks...i got it figured out now...thanks for the help
Old 08-19-05, 04:16 PM   #5
pig n jig

Buy a Daiwa reel. Ask Lizards ,or IL. Bassin. They took waterproof bandage tape , wrote Daiwa on it with a sharpie pen, stuck it on the side of their Shimano's and the reels casted 75% better than before. Sorry, I hate Shimano's as much as Lizards hates snakes. The only good one is one that has been clubbed to death. That about sums up Lizards feelings for snakes and my feelings for Shimano's. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 04:45 PM   #6
River stumps

Lone star! Don't get discouraged when you hear negative remarks about your fishing equipment. Shimano bait caster is a great reel, and when you get used to casting it you won't want to trade it for anything else. I use the Shimano and the Daiwa bait caster, and both are great reels. Happy fishing
River stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 05:07 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

zooker rears back and clubs ****mano reel.. i second pnj motion used them aint worth the paint they put on them. they tend to lockup on hook set. give me one and i will only sling it out in the lake -ker-plop-...

give me a quatum any day

zooker
Old 08-19-05, 06:15 PM   #8
Rebbasser

Awwww, come on, Zooker-tell us how you REALLY feel about them !

LoneStar, take a look here:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

Welcome to the forum, BTW-always glad to see a fellow Texan join the board.
Old 08-19-05, 07:03 PM   #9
PowerBass

I have a Rhino Baitcaster and love it!
Old 08-19-05, 08:41 PM   #10
abugarcia6

i use an abugarci 5600 its nice but i started out on a cheap 30 dollar setup with a nice rod...the baitcaster sucked but it was very good to start using baitcasters with....it was a shakespear exterra
abugarcia6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 10:49 PM   #11
pig n jig

River Stump, Don't take it personally about Shimano reels.Its been a on going joke here since there are so many sensitive Shimano owners that frequent the site here.I will continue to joke about Shimano for the sheer entertainment value alone.Unfortunately it appears to be at the expense of those of you who paid too much for a reel when you purchased a Shimano.I am not really targeting the good people who own them,I am really against the high performance prices for the average performance function you get from a Shimano reel. P N J
Old 08-20-05, 05:02 AM   #12
zooker

amen brother !!!
thump that basspro catalog....

average preformance ?? try piss poor preformance.with a huge price tag.

zooker
Old 08-20-05, 06:49 AM   #13
1FASTLASER

Hey Zook ole budy the next time you get ready to throw or for that matter anyone goes to throw away a shimano holler at me I wanna be on the same lake and within your casting distance since you havent learned how to throw very far using DIAWAS since they hardly can go anyfurther than a snoopy rod.LOL
Old 08-20-05, 12:42 PM   #14
zooker

laser for the record I HATE DIAWAS TOO!!!

what did i say quatums i have a couple ammbassadors-does not every one have at least 1- and a pfluger trion -made for bassmaster. other than that 25 quatums last count.

zooker
Old 08-20-05, 01:32 PM   #15
pig n jig

Haaaaaaaaaaa... You guys crack me up. P N J Hey Zooker, I have been bidding on The torno's 3004 series. Its a matter of time before I own a few. They look identical to the old tournament pro 3000's I used to use. They did everything well, I just thought I needed a newer reel at the time. P N J
Old 08-20-05, 05:34 PM   #16
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Buy a Daiwa reel. Ask Lizards ,or IL. Bassin. They took waterproof bandage tape , wrote Daiwa on it with a sharpie pen, stuck it on the side of their Shimano's and the reels casted 75% better than before. Sorry, I hate Shimano's as much as Lizards hates snakes. The only good one is one that has been clubbed to death. That about sums up Lizards feelings for snakes and my feelings for Shimano's. P N J
Dang it Lizards I told you not to tell.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 06:51 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Yea Diawa are overpriced bottom of the barel reels. As far as the torno's they are GREAT as well as the EON's. Now if they will make a levelwind on the eons with a steel pawl instead of a ceramic one Ill fish alot more of them.
Old 08-21-05, 10:15 AM   #18
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Well I had to figure out a way to make sure people didn't know the good reels to buy, since it would just increase the prices if everyone knew they were Great. ROTFLMAO, then re-read it and ROTFLMAO again

lonestar,

These guys have given BAD advice IMO if you are just starting out using a baitcaster. You need to set the brakes higher 75% , and you need to adjust the tension knob so the bait must be wiggled some to start to fall. These will help with the backlashes considerably, and allow you to throw it more, without putting it down because you are disgusted. It will hurt the distance, but no backlashing is much more important when trying to learn. I used this technique, and in no time was casting pretty well. Then you start loosening the tention knob first, to get more distance, then you loosen the brakes. I would tell you also that no matter how good you get, you will get backlashes. I have found a wonderful tool to help get them out. Now no laughing folks it really works great. Go to a beauty supply store, and ask for a Highlight Pick. It's a small little plastic handle with a tiny curned metal head. They use it to poke through a Highlight cap, and pull a few strands of the hair through to color those strands, ie highlights. They have several different sizes, I would reccommend the bigger sizes, easier to get around the line.

Lizards
Old 08-21-05, 10:38 AM   #19
pig n jig

Lonestar, Lizards is correct, tighten the spool tension knob so the lure does not fall on its own. cast it and get used to casting without backlashing it. and loosen the knob a little at a time and I mean loosen it very little until you get the feel for casting it. If you get a little over run , tighten your drag down and press down on the loose line around the spool with your thumb and crank the reel handle to retrieve line . engage the thumb bar and strip the line off the reel slowly by hand . The backlash should come out as you strip the line off slowly by hand. P N J
Old 08-22-05, 06:23 AM   #20
1FASTLASER

Another little trick to remeber when gettin a backlash out is to before you try and pull it out remeber that a back lash is line that has actually reversed its direction. Back the reel up with slight pressure on the spool with your thumb then pull EASYILY on the line and 9 times outta ten it will come off. I quiy getting backlashes and now I only get PO's (professional overruns) LMBO.
Old 08-22-05, 06:58 PM   #21
zooker

i had an eon reel nice but same problem they have a life time warranty and ambassador will stand behind there warranty unlike a ton of other company's will. i sent mine in they sent me a 4600 c-4 which i sold to a friend of mine. i really don't have much use for a round reel any more. oh yeah i got the eon in a yard sale for $10 i used it about a year than it went to crap. all i did was send it in and got a $60 reel back...lol

zooker
Old 08-22-05, 09:23 PM   #22
pig n jig

Zooker, One time Quantum sent me 3 Energy reels free of charge after I called them about getting a Energy reel fixed that the line pawl was worn enough to jump the worm gear when reeling line in.Back then I was fishing the Red Man series before it switched the what is now the FLW tour.Those reels helped me alot even though the reality of me being constantly financially challenged overwhelmed the odds of me fishing full time. Thats sounds better than saying I was poorer than a pick pocket in a nudist colony. That is why I still buy Quantum products today, even though I am a loser, I still fish every chance I can. P N J
Old 08-22-05, 09:39 PM   #23
454ss
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I hate backlash jsut though id let ya know
454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-05, 10:10 PM   #24
KH.

yeah im with him thats why use only spinning reels,i mean when do you ever backlash a spinner???????????????
Old 08-23-05, 04:54 AM   #25
1FASTLASER

First off Pig an Jig hang in there you gonna make it and the post about backlashing a spinning rel LMAO hand it to me and sit back and watch. Funniest home videos comes to mind

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.