Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-15-06, 03:45 PM   #1
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R
Default Got a question about fishing a small, shallow pond in cold weather.

Hey guys, i ain't been on here in a while, and need alittle help. I have never really fish for bass in the winter...just summer so here goes. I am fishing a small pond...5 acres...and not deep at all(3 or 4 ft at the max). The pond is full of muck(algae) at the bottom of the pond. The weather right now is around 35-40 degrees and today is strong winds(up to 40 mph) Yesterday morning it was around 55 until a cold front moved in and all of last week was hot..pushing the 60 degree mark. In a few days it's suppose to warm up again. I actually have a few questions..1. how should i fish this cold weather?(what kind of lure and/or color you suggest and how should i fish it...i can't really use any weights beings the pond is full of much)2. should i just wait until this warm weather comes and how should i fish it when it does get here? 3. I'm just really fishing from shore..am i just wasting my time? Any other information would be great.

P.S....if nothing else...i might try the ol faithful..spinnerbait and try to catch some pike. Or if you have any other suggestions for catching cold water pike..let me know.

Last edited by DelawareBass-R; 01-15-06 at 03:54 PM.
DelawareBass-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:59 PM   #2
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

oddly, i only fish for bass in the summer in a 5 acre pond thats very mucky on the bottom that is 3-4 ft deep and i didnt know what to fish in the winter either... I posted asking what to use and i got replies to use worms. Don't fish anything that moves fast. I mean i've caught a couple winter bass on fast moving stuff in the pond but for winter i use a weightless wacky rigged senko and get varied hits as well as a jointed rapala in the smallest size...that rapala seems to catch anything that swims at any time.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 04:59 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup

the jointed rapala will catch you more pike than bass
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 05:52 PM   #4
DelawareBass-R
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to DelawareBass-R Send a message via MSN to DelawareBass-R

thanks for the information....i will try that sometime this week.
Old 01-15-06, 07:04 PM   #5
NCYankee

A couple of days ago, I fished a shallow pond. I used a tiki stick weightless and caught a couple. I worked it slowly letting it sit on the bottom before moving it. I moved it about two feet then let it settle for a few seconds. Occasionally, I would twitch it while it sat on the bottom. I fished it near some old rotten small tree stumps.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.