Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-23-06, 11:14 PM   #1
Bass Ackwards
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flipping/Pitching reel

Thinking about getting a new Flipping/Pitching reel but not sure what I want. I'm looking at the Team Daiwa TD-X103 but not sure.

I'm going to use either the Team Daiwaź Light & tough 7" medium/Fast with split grip or the BPS Woo Dave model 7' 4" Medium with split grip.

Any recommendations?
Bass Ackwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-06, 11:51 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Shimano Castaic, nuff said.

Lizards
Old 03-24-06, 02:07 AM   #3
Bass Ackwards

What is the a preferred model for the Shimano Castaic?

Last edited by Bass Ackwards; 03-24-06 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-24-06, 07:02 AM   #4
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule

Lizards
GOT IT!!!!!
Old 03-24-06, 07:17 AM   #5
JB

I flip with it and luv it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 08:50 AM   #6
lunkerhunter15
BassFishin.Com Member

Im with these guys on this one, that has to be one of the best pitch/flip reels on the market today.
lunkerhunter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 09:08 AM   #7
Fishie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Ackwards
Thinking about getting a new Flipping/Pitching reel but not sure what I want. I'm looking at the Team Daiwa TD-X103 but not sure.

I'm going to use either the Team Daiwaź Light & tough 7" medium/Fast with split grip or the BPS Woo Dave model 7' 4" Medium with split grip.

Any recommendations?
I have a 6 foot 6 woo daves worm rod and it has not let me down as far as durability and everything... I know a lot of pro's fish the light and tough rods even it they are not sponsored by them... I can say that the woo rods are sensitive and strong and they will last years... I have had mine for a good three years and I fish a lot of plastics....its gonna be a tough decision to make... I was drolling over the Diawa land t when I was at BPS around Christmas.
Old 03-24-06, 06:22 PM   #8
flbassman

I flip with a abu torno on a 7 foot fenwick, but also occasionally with a cheap shakespeare spinner with 8 pound mono on a five foot rod. THat short rod really gives me accuracy and hookset power, and the mono cuts through weeds and lily pads better IMO. Kind of unorthodox, and it's probably not the greatest way to operate, but I like it, and it works well for me.
Old 03-24-06, 07:34 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule

Lizards
My turn to kick that dead horse, DITTO !
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-06, 07:57 PM   #10
bass kicker

abu garcia ambassadeur LP on a 6'6 st croix avid mh rod
bps mega cast on a 6'6 mh quantum retroflex rod
Old 03-26-06, 04:22 PM   #11
pig n jig

Nuff said ? You people didn't say anything ? The Daiwa TD-X is a great flipping reel. It is bullet proof, the Daiwa magnetic system is the best system ever made, bar none,The magnetic system works great for pitching and flipping, I base my opinion from owning several Shimano reels, in my opinion the Shimano crank smoother, but after fishing with both of them, The Daiwa is the better buy for the money.If you follow the sheep to the slaughter house, and you buy a Shimano reel. Buy the new curado design. They have added a new double anti reverse system in their product. Why would they do that if their product was so damned great ?Point blank, they wouldn't.If you are honest and work hard for the money that you have saved, I would hate to see you spend it so foolishly on a overpriced shimano product.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-06, 04:39 PM   #12
PowerBass

Shimano Curado or a round reel.
Old 03-26-06, 05:17 PM   #13
bassguy2004

As a question and get an answer. I love my Quantums. Wouldn't use anything else. It has a built in flippin switch on the side. One move and your in flippin mode, one move you're back to regular casting mode. Wouldn't leave home without them.
Old 03-26-06, 10:33 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
Nuff said ? You people didn't say anything ? The Daiwa TD-X is a great flipping reel. It is bullet proof, the Daiwa magnetic system is the best system ever made, bar none,The magnetic system works great for pitching and flipping, I base my opinion from owning several Shimano reels, in my opinion the Shimano crank smoother, but after fishing with both of them, The Daiwa is the better buy for the money.If you follow the sheep to the slaughter house, and you buy a Shimano reel. Buy the new curado design. They have added a new double anti reverse system in their product. Why would they do that if their product was so damned great ?Point blank, they wouldn't.If you are honest and work hard for the money that you have saved, I would hate to see you spend it so foolishly on a overpriced shimano product.P N J
Now be nicer. Nuff said says it all LOL. One of these days you're gonna convert, just a matter of time Can I get a Amen?

Lizards
Old 03-27-06, 12:02 AM   #15
ChuckE
BassFishin.Com Member

I have to agree that the TD-X is a great reel for flipping and pitching. I used mine on a L&T 7015 because I fish a lot of heavy isolated cover. The 7013 may be a little light if you are going to pitch/flip to much cover--I feel its more suited to open water. The 6614 is a good rod, just a bit shorter than I prefer for flipping and pitching--so that's why I went with the 7015.

Chuck
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 03:47 AM   #16
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

http://products.gloomis.com/gl/produ...=1143445401311

In the greenish natural lakes were I go for largemaouth bass, I pitch frequently, but almost never feel comfortable enough to close within flipping distance. I find the Castaic to be my favorite reel, all around and for flip/pitch. On this rod listed at top, this is a wicked combo. I use it for long distance pitching, frogbaits, weedbed bass with big jigs and buzzers, and I also use it for Northern Pike, with 1.5oz. spinnerbaits and bucktails.

Last edited by Jive Turkey; 03-27-06 at 03:52 AM.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 03:20 PM   #17
Bass Ackwards

I'm going with the Castaic 200SF and the BPS Woo Dave model 7' 4" Medium with split grip.

Thanks for help
Old 03-27-06, 05:50 PM   #18
pig n jig

Lizards, I was nice.I owned 2 bantam castaics model CA200 reels. I threw them in the garbage in 2002.The 4 th year of fishing them, they would engage on the cast alot, the roller bearing on one reel wore so badly, the bearing cup fell apart,I replaced the part, then one of them wouldn't engage all of the way causing me to miss fish.I bought 3 used TD-1 Daiwas and threw those shimano's away. I don't know what they cost nowadays, but the peices of chit cost me $139.99 each back in 1998.Thats alot of money for 4 years of fishing.Just think what they would have been if I used 50lb braid on them like I do my Daiwas.You could take at least another year off from their life.Braid is wicked stuff, stronger than the other components used to complete the system.I am waiting for the rod and reel companies to void the warranty if you use braid.BTW I still have the DaiwasTD-1's.Even after alot of abuse, they still work flawlessly.They quit making them, they started making the TD-X model in its place. P N J
Old 03-27-06, 05:54 PM   #19
JB

Man pnj,
that brings back memories, I used to fish that DiawaTD-1 and wore it out.
It was a sweet reel, I can't remember now what happened to it.
I got mostly 10 year old quantums and one shimmy
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 07:54 PM   #20
bassboogieman

Only one reel better than the Shimano Castaic............ and that is............ the Japaneese version.............. YEP, the Shimano Scorpion Quickfire, same reel basically but a little better quality for about $30.00 additional. Anyone using the Scorpion reels will probably agree they are a bit above the "American" models in quality.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 07:59 PM   #21
bass kicker

i use every reel type except shimano cost way to much to get a decent reel
Old 03-27-06, 08:40 PM   #22
pig n jig

JB,What really pisses me off is the way Shimano thinks that the common person don't know Jack Sh!t.Look at the ad for the new Curado on page 37 of the Bass pro shop 2006 Anglers catalog.in the bottom right hand section it explains the new super stopper plus assist stopper system.Its reads,A one way roller bearing provides a solid antireverse with no handle or spool backplay, for quick, powerful hooksets.The backup assist stopper ratcheting system takes over should the bearing begin to slip due to overlubrication, or extreme weather. How many people have fished in some of the nastiest weather known to mankind at one time or another and in that time of foul weather fishing did their anti reverse bearing in the reel fail on them ? Their so called backup assist stopper is the old anti reverse system that reel companies used before the one way roller bearing replaced it.Once the roller bearing slips, the handle, or the spool will have backplay until the assist dog locks in the gear tooth to stop the backward motion.Can't they tell you their design failed to work properly ? Shouldn't they have redesigned their one way roller bearing so it functions as well as all of the other reel brands out there on the market that doesn't have to resort to a quick fix patch backup system on their reels ?What other reel brand advertise that their reel may not work properly if overlubricated or fished in bad weather ?Well to all of you Shimano owners, I hope your fair weather fisherman, I will stick with any other brand of reel and fish in the pouring down rain or any other extreme fishing condition while your sitting inside your Home,wondering if its the correct conditions to go fishing, or stay home on the porch where you know its a Shimano user freindly environment. P N J
Old 03-27-06, 08:45 PM   #23
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i love my pflueger reels!!!
Old 03-27-06, 09:01 PM   #24
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman
Only one reel better than the Shimano Castaic............ and that is............ the Japaneese version.............. YEP, the Shimano Scorpion Quickfire, same reel basically but a little better quality for about $30.00 additional. Anyone using the Scorpion reels will probably agree they are a bit above the "American" models in quality.
I don't mean to single you out from the rest of the Shimano pack, but can you tell me why Shimano is better than any other reel brand ? Can you tell me why Shimano owners are happy to pay $169.99 for a castaic reel that has 5 bearings, when you can buy a Pflueger Supreme for the same exact price that has 11 bearings ? What will the Shimano do other reel brands won't ?Shimano owners are very quick to say that they are the best, when in fact there are no facts to back their theory up.Why don't you people realize that you paid too much for the product you got in return and tell the truth ?The threads Shimano are the best ain't cutting it , explain why you think they are the best and then I will not bash you people every chance I get, which by the ads they are printing , its there in black and white? The writings on the wall? its straight from the Horses mouth ? It is written therefore it is ?They must have hired used car salesmen to peddle their product because everyone got a great reel, but then there is the ad that says their has been problems with them ?You Shimano people sure are a hoot. P N J
Old 03-27-06, 09:10 PM   #25
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy
i love my pflueger reels!!!
Dodge, I hear ya. You must have espn2 ? I posted a good thread about pflueger for a change and there you is already posted by the time I got done typing a WTL type thread. P N J

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.