Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-30-06, 04:22 PM   #1
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22
Default suggestions

This is my first time ordering and will be the first time i'm using a baitcaster. i've decided to go with the pflueger president combo but there are so many sub choices to go along with it and some of them confuse me. I do not know what the letters after president mean at the bottom where you chose your setup. nor do i know much about rod length and such.
I am 6'5", right handed and gonna be fishing senkos, and light sticks with it. can anyone lead me to which setup i should get/? thanks again

this is the link:
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=search
Old 03-30-06, 05:06 PM   #2
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

WLP is a wider version of the LP. I think it may be designed more towards salt water fishing. As far as the rod goes, it depends on what type of fishing you are doing. I prefer my rods be 6'-6.5' medium to medium-heavy. I know others on here are more particular. They should be able to give you more advice. One last thing, considering your height, you may want to go with the longer "C" handle.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 05:45 PM   #3
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Like I said in the PM. I like 6.5 foot medium power with a fast tip.
Old 03-30-06, 06:44 PM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

be careful to note that half the models are right handed reels, the bottom half selection is lefthanded..personally after viewing them all I'd go with
38-940-520-06 model,
6-3-1 gears
7ft medium heavy
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 08:01 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with JB except I'd go with the 6-6 rod, but that is simply personal preference. I prefer a 6-6 rod. Either one will do the job nicely, but for soft plastics I wouldn't go any lighter than a MH.

Now, once you get the combo you will save yourself a lot of trouble setting the reel up right to begin with-setting the brakes, the spool tension, etc. This is the best site I have found to show you how to do it:

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm
Old 03-30-06, 09:47 PM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Pflueger President is an excellent choice. Be careful when first using this reel, the superfree is awsome. Be sure to set the tension a little on the heavy side when you begin and get a feel for the reel. These reels are great when utliziing a full cast with a weighted bait. They are a little tricky when atempting a short cast or with light baits, they tend to backlash easily due to the excellent freespool, the spool is spinning very fast and will overrun without a little weight to keep pulling line off the spool, don't let it frustrate you. It gets easier with practice. The Plueger Supreme may be a better choice, and if you watch ebay you can get them for the same price as the President (about $135.00 + shipping). The Supreme is new and is basically a President with an adjustable magnetic spool brake, which makes tuning the reel for the lighter baits very easy. The President only has the 6 internal spool brakes. As far as rods go... a good rod in MH with a fast tip in a 6'6" or my preference of 6'-9" is the right rod for Senko fishing, and other similiar plastics. You really need a MH to set the hook when using thick plastic like Senko's. Good luck.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 10:55 PM   #7
skeeter944

i use a 6'6'' mh rod for my senkos and other soft plastics. look on ebay,you can find lots of great stuff on there.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-06, 11:34 PM   #8
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i'm going to make this really easy for you.the reel is a right hand retrieve.it's easy to cast righty and switch hands but if you can't then get a lefty.

38-940-520-04PRESIDENTLP
9.3 OZ6.3:1
28"
12 LB/130 YDSXTR66MHT10-20 LB
3/8-1 OZ6' 6" MH
LB, SB, W, NP, B, R, SN
10 GUIDES
Old 03-31-06, 05:57 AM   #9
FlyRod

Lightbulb

JonnyP, (and PLEASE raise the seat first!)

If you can, BEFORE you buy, try someone's "lefty" reel so as to determine if you would be comfortable with casting RIGHT and cranking LEFT. In other words, not changing hands after casting.
Upside: You may gain a few casts per hour and it avoids the semi-rare disaster that can occur when a bass attacks the lure the instant it touches water.
Downside: You might experience more soreness and wear and tear in your right (casting) hand and forearm since you will be holding the rod constantly with that paw.
I cast left and crank right when baitcasting so I use the standard reels. When using spinning tackle I cast right, crank left. This feels more natural to me and it gives my left hand and forearm a needed break.
Before anyone asks; With a fly rod, I cast left, strip or reel right.
Please make every effort to "try before you buy"...that is critical!

Yer Chum

Fly R. Odd
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-06, 09:14 PM   #10
jonnyp22
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to jonnyp22

it just seems weird to me to try out a reel at a fishing store around me because you cant get the same effect from just holding a reel you know what i mean?? i ordered the righty last night so hopefully it turns out good! ill let you know tho
Old 04-01-06, 05:53 AM   #11
islandbass

Aw man! I didn't see this in time and I am in agreement with Flyrod regarding newbie bait caster users.

If you come from a spinning background and are accustomed to using your left hand to crank, I am willing to bet a rapala floating minnow that you will be more comfortable with your baitcaster's crank on the left side to.

I bought my first bc reel right handed and man did it feel weird as I used spinning gear witht the crank on the left. In the end it comes down to you, but like I said, I'd bet one of my floating minnows you'll prefer the crank on the left side if the crank on your spinning reels is on the left.

Anyway, congrats! Just stick with it and you will wonder as I did how I could ever have gone fishing without a bc reel.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.