Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-10-13, 08:37 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default I need your help anglers!

A city where I couldn't so much as find a single person who could advise me on an anchor trolley has an event like this.
What the 'hell'?

http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/page.asp?pgid=1001

I have one simple challenge left with the 'Monkey's Kayak'.
PDF that I can sit in the kayak and fish in comfort with.
Try doing that on the Internet.

Side bet....I'll come home at least $200 lighter and still be looking for the right PDF.
Heck, I could go to the hood with every dollar I have. Pull in front of the liquor store and open my car doors and spread my cash across the front seat.....and I'd still come home with more money than if I go to this 'monkey's paradise'!

So YOUR JOB....TALK ME OUT OF GOING!

They want $15 to get in the door and SIX BUCKS TO PARK THE DANG CAR! ....and that's before the monkey even gets loose from it's cage.

After all, the way I see it is that money can’t buy happiness, but it can buy me the kind of misery I prefer!

Oh forgot to mention.
This guy was playing at the show.

My apologies and sympathy and prayers to ALL of those who have suffered a recent tragic lost!
I had to share this though....it may bring a tear to ANYONES eye.
Enjoy and here's to the MEMORIES!!!!!!
This song is in HONOR of THEM!!!!

Should be watched in Full Screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHjNFMVG77k

Last edited by joedog; 03-10-13 at 09:06 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 09:38 AM   #2
bassboogieman

A short vest, like the ones skiers use is a good choice. The regular - "cheap" - ones you may find a Walmart or Dick's that are relative long in the body, ride up and are uncomfortable. Find one that is short and you'll be more confortable for a day on the water. The ones you can wear around your waist would be another option. USUALLY you are fishing relatively calm, shallow waters in a kayak and those big bulky life jackets meant to keep you afloat in the Bering Sea are not necessary. He!! Joe, as small as you are you could probably insert a wine cork in your butt and be good to go... Let me know how that works out for ya... LOL!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 10:35 AM   #3
joedog

But the cork may stifle my free thinking?

Definitly would force my 'crazy ideas' to be hindered!
Old 03-10-13, 02:22 PM   #4
Jrob78

I got an inflatable. I didn't want to have to deal with 4" of foam on my chest. I barely even know I'm wearing it, plus it doesn't interfere with the butt of my rod while I'm fishing.

If you go with a regular pfd, make sure to get one meant for paddling sports.
http://kayakfishinggear.com/pfdsandflotation.aspx
Old 03-10-13, 07:39 PM   #5
joedog

Bruce, Joe thanks.
Joe, your inflatable vest is 'manual' right?

Bruce the first PFDs that drew my attention were the manual belts.
Then through over thinking I started to wonder if I ever did need it, would I be able to inflate and then you have to pull the top over your head so it sits like the classic life preserver.

The real challenge is that I really don't like wearing them at all.
Water skiing we always used ski belts for flotation. Never had a problem with them.
But it would wearing all day in a kayak seat.

So NRS has one in the running and some some other starting with an 'S' or something. Have fold down fly tying boards. Don't really like. One maybe but two...nada.

NRS are very adjustable and the one I think is kinda leading the decision.
Still like the belt though.

And these things are $100 plus investment.

Now for the Canoetopia.
What a MARKETING PLOY that was.

The Rutabaga or whatever their name on the site above is, is a kayak, canoe, paddle board STORE. Very little fishing kayaks period. Had Wilderness kayaks but none of the fishing setups.
Not so much as a rod holder.
Oh and no Hobie nothing.

EVERY SINGLE BOOTH IN THE WHOLE PLACE WAS RUN BY RUTABAGO. (there had to be 100)
Now they had some factory reps but most booths were run by hourly temps. There just for this show.
Don't forget, these CROOKS were charging $15 at the door plus $6 parking.
That may pad the pockets a little.
Like $300 000 plus $120,000 for parking.
They estimated 20,000 attendaece.

So I meet the Sales Manager because I want to know seeing they are just a store in Madison, would they honer the show discount later in the week.
Beleive it or not, HE HESITATED!
Asked him why no Hobie.
His answer was that Hobie was TOO MICROMANAGED so they elected not to support them.
Then he said, "But they ARE a great Kayak! Fact I have THREE HOBIES at home."

WHAT A FLUKING PUTZ!
Old 03-10-13, 08:01 PM   #6
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Joedog... The second picture in the youtube video could have just as well been my Beagle Mollie. Although I didn't take her fishing with me often, we did canoe around my lake many summer evenings. I had to put her down last May (on my birthday). If I could I'd kick your *ss for making my heart ache like that again... then I'd give you a hug and say thanks.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 08:52 PM   #7
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Joedog... The second picture in the youtube video could have just as well been my Beagle Mollie. Although I didn't take her fishing with me often, we did canoe around my lake many summer evenings. I had to put her down last May (on my birthday). If I could I'd kick your *ss for making my heart ache like that again... then I'd give you a hug and say thanks.

oe
OkobojiEagle, I truly feel your pain.
I hesitated and struggled with the posting of it because it brings back so many memories for me.
Lost my first Golden when I was 12, Came hoime for lunch from school and found BO dead on the kitchen floor. Seeing my mom worked and we packed bag lunches....I WASN'T supposed to be home.
Called my mom, confessed to my misdoings and stayed home and cleaned up the kitchen and cried till my MOM got home.
I then had to load poor Bo into the car to take him to the Vet.
That FLAT OUT DESTROYED ME for weeks.

But when I saw that little one armed boy in front of his tent with his 'MOLLIE' and saw all those faces on others 'Mollie'...well I had to share.

Thanks for the hug though.

Almost forgot.
Joe, thats what I did to recoup my investment. (entry)
I tried on every Fishing PFD they had at the show!

Last edited by joedog; 03-10-13 at 09:16 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-13, 08:29 PM   #8
Jrob78

The inflatable I have is automatic. If you fall in, it inflates. I considered a manual but decided it would be completely useless if I were knocked unconscious or seriously injured and couldn't pull the cord.

If you can find a place that sells paddle vests, go try them on. The ones I tried on felt very bulky and claustrophobic. The inflatable is awesome, at least as far as comfort is concerned.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.