Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-29-08, 04:11 PM   #1
arivergal
BassFishin.Com Member

Question New-bass questions

I am new to bass fishing and really want to learn. I have found lots of info but have some basic questions. I use a spinning real and I have read some about using braided line when using frogs. Does this apply to spinning reels? I am in the Eastern part of Tx and moved here to enjoy the fishing in the area along with other things but I certainly have a lot to learn. I went the other day to catfish and wasn´t getting a thing when another gal showed up and was hauling them in. She came over and gave me some of her bait. Now this is weird, at least to me. She had cut up hot dogs she had soaked in strawberry koolaid and garlic for a couple 3 days. Well it worked. I hauled in some nice cats. Anyway thanks for any tips and info. I will definitely keep reading.
arivergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 04:22 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah you can def use braided line on you spinning real but it doesn't limit to just frogs , it is helpfull and usefull with any lure that you are fishing in heavy cover or along the bottom , beyond being stronger at a smaller diameter than mono it also has near zero stretch . btw welcome to the nut house
Old 05-29-08, 04:30 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey, welcome to the Nut-House!

Braid is great for a lot of things. I use either braid or fluoro for almost everything. I only use mono for crankbaits and topwater. IMO, braid is the best for frogs, and fishing anything is heavy cover. Great for flipping/pitching.

hey, and don't worry, you'll learn a ton here, I did. There a bunch of great guys that know a ton about fishing, so you'll learn, and soon be a fishing addict like the rest of us.

BB
Old 05-29-08, 04:54 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivergal View Post
She had cut up hot dogs she had soaked in strawberry koolaid and garlic for a couple 3 days. Well it worked. I hauled in some nice cats. Anyway thanks for any tips and info. I will definitely keep reading.
Just about anything that smells works for catfish. Why do you think they call it "stinkbait?"

If you really want to mess with people's minds, put some chunks of Dove bar soap in a short piece of nylon stocking and rig it on a hook. It works.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Lots of good information, good people, and good stories. Watch out for a guy name "bamabassman," though. He's really an escaped mental patient from Arkham Asylum.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 05:13 PM   #5
3dkicker

Braided line, 4/0 Superline EWG hook, and Horney toads......don't need anything else!!!
Old 05-29-08, 05:58 PM   #6
bamabassman

WELCOME TO THE HOUSE O NUTS. feed the bait monkey and you'll be fine rivergal. and bb is right. you will learn alot on theis site. and you will have to gorgive some of us (yea gang , me, lmao.). but we ARE alittle off the wall. but we mean well. read the posts here and you sill learn more about fishing than anywhere else, i promise you that.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 08:11 PM   #7
Bender

I like braid on almost everything. I should correct that and say I like PowerPro on almost everything. It is very thin and strong but when fishing in clear water I like to put a fluoro leader on. I am playing around with different lengths right now since if it is too long the knot hangs a little in the tip when you cast.
I haven't fished for catfish since I moved away from the rivers in eastern Ohio years ago, but it was fun there. You never knew if you were going to haul in a little one or a 30+ pounder. (which I never did, but others caught them)
And welcome!
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 09:20 PM   #8
keithdog

Welcome aboard rivergal. It doesn't suprise me that you were catchin cats on chunks of hotdogs. Up here where I live many guys use hotdogs for catching big King Salmon when the come up stream. Who would think that? I'd say just listen to other anglers and read all you can. Knowledge will catch more bass than any lure. Don't be affraid to ask the folks in here questions. Everyone is more than willing to give a helping hand. One suggestion I would have for someone who is new to bass fishing as you are is to pick one lure that you want to learn and take only that lure type with you. Pick a lure type, find out the different ways to fish with that lure "techniques" and then take only that type of lure out to fish with. It may take a while but you will find yourself learning just what each type of lure can do and how to properly use them. Not having any other type of lure to pick from will keep your attention focused on that one type of bait. After you have learned how to use a few different types, you'll be ready to hit the lake knowing which lures will work for that particular day and situation. Good luck.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:11 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

yeah welcome to the nuthouse.. anything stinky works for cats.. soon the baitmonkey will attack and you'll have more baits than time to throw them lol
MrPhotographer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 04:24 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivergal View Post
I am new to bass fishing and really want to learn. I have found lots of info but have some basic questions. I use a spinning real and I have read some about using braided line when using frogs. Does this apply to spinning reels? I am in the Eastern part of Tx and moved here to enjoy the fishing in the area along with other things but I certainly have a lot to learn. I went the other day to catfish and wasn´t getting a thing when another gal showed up and was hauling them in. She came over and gave me some of her bait. Now this is weird, at least to me. She had cut up hot dogs she had soaked in strawberry koolaid and garlic for a couple 3 days. Well it worked. I hauled in some nice cats. Anyway thanks for any tips and info. I will definitely keep reading.
I noticed that you live in Athens, TX., well that's pretty much Heaven as far as I'm concerned. You are so lucky to live close so much fantastic bass fishing. Beginning with Lake Athens! I don't know if you have a boat or not, but I would suggest you drive out to the lake to the only store and just hand out with those folks and start meeting some of the locals. As I recall they have several evening tournaments out there during the week so it would be a good opportunity to meet people. Also, right next door is the Texas Freshwater fisheries exhibit and hatchery. Go in there and ask for David Campbell or Barry St. Claire, both are friends of mine. David conceaved and manages the the fisheries exhibit (which is really a great place to spend the day with the kids, very educational and fun!). Barry is now one of the state's outdoor educators. More importantly he holds the Texas State record for Largemouth Bass at 18.18 lbs.

Your spinning rod will do just fine with 15 to 20# Power Pro Braided line, I use it on all of my spinning reels and several of my baitcasters. You can use a double Uni-knot and tie on a flourocarbon or monofilament leader if you wish, but the lakes in your part of the country will work with straight braid if you like. Drop shot and shakey heads work well around the edges of the vegetation down there, as do the Texas rigged worms. I would suggest you get a couple of baitcasting rigs down there as well.

Anyway, I am a displaced Texan living in Georgia for now. I hope to come back to Heaven before I die.
Old 06-05-08, 08:45 AM   #11
arivergal
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow! Thanks for all the replies and good thoughts. I have been out to the Fisheries and it blew me away. What a great place. I got my braid but have not put it on as yet. That is coming soon. I can´t wait to give her a try. If the wind dies down I will be out on Lake Athens in my kayak. In the meantime I am learning a lot like you all said just from reading all the posts. I hope to have a story of my own to post. Thanks again for making me feel so welcome.
arivergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-08, 09:30 AM   #12
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Here's a tip for your braided line to keep it from packing on the reel which it is bad to do: After you spool on fresh line, let almost all of the line out in the water without a lure or hook on it behind your kayak or boat, drag it a ways and then wind it all back in. Do this 2 or 3 times and it is much easier to handle and doesn't pack down.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.