Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-04-11, 09:13 AM   #1
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Deep bass 30'plus

Dose any one out there ever fish 30 plus feet deep for Bass? I would like to try the deeps but have no idea where to start other than deep water. Please advise
Coldbasser
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 10:35 AM   #2
Lvitch

Points n humps usually, try ripping a spoon through them, a drop shot, or an ice jig. They will usually be near a point or something close to a spawning area this time of year but just off shore more in deeper water.
Old 04-04-11, 11:11 AM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It is really not all that deep if you put it in perspective. The typical bass boat is 18-21' so that is only 1.5-2 times that long.

I fished quite a bit in the 20-35' range when I lived in New York. Mainly there it was rocky points that led out to deeper water. I liked a drop-shot or a Deep Down Husky Jerk 12. If you make a long cast and rip it down it should go 16' or so. In clean water it is not too far for a bass to come 10'+ to chase something. You could also drag a heavy spinnerbait around. On a lake I would look for points or some anomaly on the bottom such as a rock pile.

On the Saint Clair River it's not uncommon to fish that deep. There it is mainly along the channel edges with tubes or drop-shot.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 01:16 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I fish that deep quite a bit, especially when I fish Table Rock because it's a very deep lake. There are several baits that you can use in deep water like jigs, spoons, big worms, carolina rigs, dropshots, and spinnerbaits. I agree that finding something unique about the area is key. It might be a creek channel, rock pile, brush pile, hump, or maybe something as simple as one big rock or stump on an otherwise clean bottom. The hardest part of fishing deep is gaining confidence in it because it's not like fishing shallow where you can see most of the cover you are fishing.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 03:51 PM   #5
coldbasser

Thanks that gives me some great ideas to begin with. Any favorite spoons, and do heavy spoons work better than say a willow type flutter spoon? How deep can you catch bass and is colors important? I've caught lots in the 1' to 20' range
Thanks again.
Old 04-05-11, 08:37 AM   #6
Mac2

Silver buddies work well for deep fishing.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 02:55 PM   #7
coldbasser

Thanks I'll get some and give them a try do you rip them off the bottom or a straight cast and retrive?
Again thanks for the tips
Old 04-05-11, 05:08 PM   #8
MIbasser

I've caught smallmouth in 30'+ water. As for color of baits, that would depend on color of water. I've caught them on a lot of colors, it just depends on what they want that day, that time.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 06:02 PM   #9
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

One lure I've done very well with in deep water is a Slider Head with a 4-5 inch worm worked very slowly on light line with medium spinning tackle. I'll cast it out and let it settle to the bottom and then employ a slow steady retrieve along the bottom. Another option which I KNOW I'm going to be tarred and feathered for even mentioning is to use a trolling technique. By trolling with deep diving hard baits with long lines and targeting specific deep water structures, you can get that bait down to where you want it to reach and still work a specific area. It's not trolling randomly around the lake hoping to get lucky, but rather trolling with a specific target in mind. It cannot be used when fishing a tournament, but if your fishing for fun, it's definately a way to get your crankbaits down deeper than you can by casting.
Old 04-05-11, 06:46 PM   #10
coldbasser

I'm fishing a cold clear water lake in the precambrian shield in Canada. The lake is not gin clear but is 15' to 30' clear. Alge blooms in July if spring is warm. I fish lead core line for walleyes I'm going to try try that to target selected areas for bass. Up here in Canada trolling might be legal in tournaments I'll have to check on that. I have sliders and worms so I will try that along the bottoms.
Thanks for the tips
Coldbasser
Old 04-05-11, 09:07 PM   #11
mike234

In the Deep clear TVA Lakes one way I fish deep is to use a 3/4oz swim jig with a swimbait trailer. Can count it down to any depth you want and swim it slow or jerk or even wind at moderate or fast speed. Will not get a lot of hits but when you do it will be a good fish. Can use a 1/2oz swim jig or really any kind of jig with smaller swimbait trailer and get more hits but is good to fish humps, old river bed or etc. For me the swimbait trailers work better than the worm, craw, and other trailers.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 11:53 PM   #12
cassidyta

I have a couple of lakes where I am targeting 30-50'. For me big 5" tubes have been my goto bait. I don't fish it slow, but I am deliberate with it. I will make large hops with short pauses. I try to cover a lot of ground until I get a bite. One thing that I have found with deep fish is that when you catch one, cast right back to the same spot. They will often school up on those deep humps or ledges.
Old 04-07-11, 10:01 AM   #13
coldbasser

Thanks very much for the tips to try I'm pumped to get out on the water. I only have 3 or so more weeks befor the ice is off the Lakes. I've commited this season to fishing the depths and where the fish are. To me a great part of the fun is finding these critters to me insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
Old 04-08-11, 09:55 AM   #14
coldbasser

I forgot to ask a basic question about the deeps are there large mouth in 30-60 feet of water?
Old 04-09-11, 12:57 AM   #15
Bender

I think the deepest I have ever caught a LM was 32'. Saw a blip on the sonar at the bottom, dropped down there, BAM! I don't think that they normally go that deep around Michigan, but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-09-11, 11:21 AM   #16
coldbasser

Thanks I guess it is all hooked into where the baitfish live a, We have lakes with smelt as well as ciscos that are the in the food chain. I,ve read that smallmouths actually hunt out tadpoles to eat. I guess that is why the small black hair jig work so well. Lots of new patterns to attempt this year @ 1 month and I'll be on the water. Ya Ho!!! How about Michigan, when will you be on the water?
Old 04-09-11, 03:05 PM   #17
Bender

Catch and Release season in Michigan opens the last Saturday in April I think. I still live down South but I'm up here for work and know a lot of guys have been out already (I'm from Michigan). At home I think I fished at least a few times every month but I haven't been there for over a month.
Old 04-09-11, 07:05 PM   #18
danielbasspro

Try and find deep grass edges, humps, points, anything. Try a dropshot, carolina rig, spoon, or a texas rig. If you're fishing slow, you're fishing right.
Old 04-09-11, 07:15 PM   #19
coldbasser

Daniel thanks at what depths are you fishing for deep bass
Old 04-14-11, 05:53 PM   #20
danielbasspro

really the magic zone for me has been 12-30 ft.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.