Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-27-11, 10:49 PM   #1
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

Default First Time using Flourocarbon

Last weekend I had a chance to use my new flourocarbon. I can honestly say I'm hooked. I noticed a night and day difference from mono. What i noticed was much greater sensitivity and less memory on the line. The line I used was Trilene Super Strong. Now I understand why everybody likes it so much!
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 08:04 AM   #2
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Was line weight did you use and on what type of rod/reel set-up?

I tried 14 pound Vanish on a spinning reel earlier this spring. It was around 32 degrees that morning and I've read fluorocarbon can get very stiff in cold water/weather... (unlike most of us men.) I mannaged to catch a couple bass in the 2 or 3 hours I fished, but I hated the fluorocarbon. It kept jumping off my spool as soon as I opened the bail. I might not have had any issues with a bait-caster, or in warmer weather. Maybe a lighter line or different brand or some line conditioner would have helped - I know the conditions weren't favorable.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 08:44 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
Was line weight did you use and on what type of rod/reel set-up?

I tried 14 pound Vanish on a spinning reel earlier this spring. It was around 32 degrees that morning and I've read fluorocarbon can get very stiff in cold water/weather... (unlike most of us men.) I mannaged to catch a couple bass in the 2 or 3 hours I fished, but I hated the fluorocarbon. It kept jumping off my spool as soon as I opened the bail. I might not have had any issues with a bait-caster, or in warmer weather. Maybe a lighter line or different brand or some line conditioner would have helped - I know the conditions weren't favorable.
Couple things, Vanish is absolute garbage. Well, sort of. It's garbage for bass fishing because it wasn't designed for repeated casting an the brutal hooksets in bass fishing. Many guys experience breakage issues with it.

Secondly, 14lb test is pretty high for a spinning reel. I never go over 12, and only put 12lb on on bigger reels like 3500. For the average 2000-3000 sized bass spinning reel, I usually use 8-10lb test fluoro and mono.

FishinFreak, glad to see you had a good experience with Fluorocarbon as many people don't. And it ruins their view of it. Personally, I love the stuff and the pros far outweigh the usual cons of FC for me.

BB
Old 04-28-11, 10:03 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ditto to what BB said. I use 8lb trilene on my spinning gear. Anything heavier gets to be a nightmare. And Vanish is indeed garbage. It is like fishing with bailing wire. I used it as my first FC line and it almost made me hate al FC forever... Now I use trilene 100% flouro on my spinning gear and XPS flouro on my baitcasters.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 01:02 PM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Congrats! Sensitivity IMO is it's major bonus over mono. Berkly is definitly one of the more popular ones, so is Seagar.
Old 04-28-11, 06:43 PM   #6
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Couple things, Vanish is absolute garbage. Well, sort of. It's garbage for bass fishing because it wasn't designed for repeated casting an the brutal hooksets in bass fishing. Many guys experience breakage issues with it.

Secondly, 14lb test is pretty high for a spinning reel. I never go over 12, and only put 12lb on on bigger reels like 3500. For the average 2000-3000 sized bass spinning reel, I usually use 8-10lb test fluoro and mono.

BB
Thanks - It was a buddy's rod/reel set-up. I told him that 14 pound was a little high for Fluorocarbon on a spinning reel and now I have 2 more opinions that confirm what I told him. After just spending the $ for Fluoro and not being happy I think he's gonna go back to Trilene XT for awhile.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 01:14 AM   #7
FishinFreak
BassFishin.Com Member

I used 8 & 10 lb line on spinning tackle. Temp was near 60 water temp was upper 40's. The line did jump off once or twice but I blame that on wind I think. I used 12 lb mono on spinning gear and that jump off too. I think part off the problem could have been too much line on all my spools because they were all freshly spooled and I did it myself. I think I may have put too much line on. Not sure.
Also I would like to add that the 12 lb mono BIG GAME line was upsetting because I had major memory going on. It was like a slinky coil. I hope next time it wont be so bad. I live on the 5th story of a building and dropped the line down to the ground yesterday. I heard some people do this to kind of untwist the line and break it in.
FishinFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 10:35 PM   #8
Jeremy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
I used 8 & 10 lb line on spinning tackle. Temp was near 60 water temp was upper 40's. The line did jump off once or twice but I blame that on wind I think. I used 12 lb mono on spinning gear and that jump off too. I think part off the problem could have been too much line on all my spools because they were all freshly spooled and I did it myself. I think I may have put too much line on. Not sure.
Also I would like to add that the 12 lb mono BIG GAME line was upsetting because I had major memory going on. It was like a slinky coil. I hope next time it wont be so bad. I live on the 5th story of a building and dropped the line down to the ground yesterday. I heard some people do this to kind of untwist the line and break it in.
Same here...first time I used flouro (8lb) on my spinning gear it jumped off as soon as the bail was open.... overfilling was the culprit. Maybe a little KVD line conditioner to hedge your bet.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.