Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-29-11, 07:44 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default What to put in the box?

If you were going to make up a box of lures for fishing a pond for bass from the bank what would you put in it? For the sake of arguements you can walk around most of the pond. You are going to carry two rods one with plastic & 1 for lures. The worms or lizards you are going to carry you can put in a ziplock bag in your pocket. How do you stock your box?
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 02:26 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Bill Lewis Rat L-Trap
3/8 oz Spinnerbait single Colorado
5 " grubs
4 & 5 " senkos
Heddon Torpedo
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 03:28 PM   #3
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Depends on the size of the box

For the sake of discussion, I'll assume that I need to limit the size of the box.
5" Senkos (watermellon/red flake) and 3"Yum Woolly Beavertails (June Bug) in my pocket, w/ T and wacky rig hooks, bullet weights from 1/8 to 1/4 oz.
1. 1/4oz chartreuse/white double willow Spinnerbait
1a. 3/8 oz blue/black single Colorado Spinnerbait
2. Scumfrog or equivalent
3. Chugger (Rebel PopR, etc)
4. Crawfish colored crankbait, 5-8' depth
5. Bluegill colored crankbait, 3-6' depth
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-11, 04:10 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'd like to take a little bit of most things.

I'd have everything I need to set up a dropshot: Size 1 Gammy DS/SS hooks, a few 3/16oz sinkers, and my favorite dropshot bait, Chomper's 4" DS worm in watermelon seed or Dark Melon

Next, I'd have a hand full of crankbaits, mostly shallow to medium: Bandit 100's of course, maybe a couple 200's, a Spro Little John, and maybe a couple XCalibur XCS cranks.

Obviously a variety of hooks and weights: 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8oz weights, 3/0, 4/0/ and 5/0 Gammy or Owner EWG or Owner Twist-Locks. These are for the plastics I'd bring: 5" YUM Dingers, PowerBait 7" PowerWorms, Powerbait 3" and 4" Chigger Craws. Watermelon Candy is my favorite color.

An XCalibur Zell Pop, and an XCalibur Jimmy should cover most of my topwater needs.

Let's not forget jigs. I make my own, but Booyah's Boo Jigs and Northland Jungle Jigs are a couple of my favorite store bought jigs for casting from shore. I usually use the 3" Chigger craws mentioned above as trailers.

I'd probably bring a couple spinnerbaits as well. Strike King's Premier Plus are some of my favorites in White, Sexy Shad, and White/Chartreuse.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I could get by on what I listed.

BB
Old 04-29-11, 05:22 PM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish a lot of ponds that can be quite different than the other, so I would hope that I had some recon first to help me dial it in.

I would keep my plastics in the ziplock and it would consist of senkos, tubes, IKA's and drop shot worms. When I do this, I actually keep my hooks and weights in a smaller bag inside the plastics bag.
Pond fishing is one of the few times where I will go braid with a leader on my reels. So I would likely cary one spool of leader material in the box or my pocket.

In the case,
I would have a gunfish and a frog. The gunfish for the open water and the frog for the muck.
I would have a dark and light colored chatter bait. The only reason I did not say spinner bait is that the chatter baits fit into the case.
I would have a couple of shallow crank baits, probably no more than 4 of them, with one being a very shallow diver.
I would have a few shakey head baits such as a craw.
I would also have a couple of small jigs.
Old 04-30-11, 10:17 AM   #6
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Interesting answers. I realize how far behind the times many of my choices are. I have never fished a senko or a carolina rig or a chatterbait. I have never caught a bass on a jig. My choices were more traditional.
Rattle traps
topwater plugs like a Pop R.
Rapala type floaters
Square billed crankbaits.
beetle spins.
Spinnerbaits
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 12:13 PM   #7
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ahh!! I've been here before! It depends what has worked in the lake in the past, but if I was gonna go to a new lake, I've never fished, here's what'll be in there!

Plastics
- Six senkos 5", three that are one color, three another color.
- 6 curly tail worms, in 2 different colors, 3 of each. 6" and 8"
- 5 watermelon 6" zoom lizards
- 6 finesse worms, in your favorite size and color for DSing and SHing

Jigs
- 4 different jigs, 2 flippin, 2 football (If I know the bottom is rocky, other wise just 2 flippin) 2 in black and blue, the other 2 in your favorite natural color.
- 5 or your favorite jig trailers, in matching colors.
- 1 swimjig in a chartreuse color if it's weedy, and a baitfish color it's not super weedy.

Wierbaits
- 3 spinnerbait, in three different colors. A chartreuse one, a baitfish color (white and blue is good) one, and blue gill color one.
- one chartreuse buzzbait, 3/8 oz

Cranks
- 2 shallow diving cranks, ones. One with a tight wiggle, the other with a narrow
- 2 med. divers. One tight wiggle, one wide.

Topwaters
- one Jr. Spook
- one Floating frog is there's vegetation in the lake

Terminal tackle
- 5 five 3/0 EWGs
- 4 2/0 EWGs
- 5 3/16 oz bullet weights.

I think that's it. It might seem like a lot, and I probably won't use half of 'em. But once I find what they like, I can narrow it down a bit.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.