Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-08-09, 08:59 AM   #1
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default My eyesight is not as good as it was...

I find myself being lazy and not wanting to re-tie every time I change baits. I use clips on the end of my lines for everything except plastics. Anyone else do this? I have also found to use a clip for some baits I have had to add a split ring for attachment expecially on poppers with a deep concave face.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 09:28 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to retie everything, but Woody got me into the habit of using snaps on crankbaits. He had a good argument: a crankbait is not a precision, finesse-type bait. It's under constant tension, and with the trebles, you're not sitting there concentrating, trying to pick up strikes. Plus, it lets me change cranks more often than I normally would. thanks, Woody.

On a side note...back when I was a kid, we even used to use snap swivels on Texas-rigged worms. On the trip up to Patoka, I would sit an make up about 20 T-rigs, each with the sinker on it, and put them on one of those hook holder things. I'm not sure if my stepdad was just having me do it to keep me quiet and busy or not, but we still caught a lot of bass. Obviously, I stopped doing that when I got older.
Old 10-08-09, 10:31 AM   #3
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use snap swivels on my crankbait rod. It makes changing back and forth much easier. Other than that I tie/re-tie everything.
Old 10-08-09, 10:43 AM   #4
AUFred

I still re-tie throughout the day but find the clips really reduce my re-tying.
Old 10-08-09, 10:49 AM   #5
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use clips on my crank, buzzer, and spinner rods. I tie directly to the hook eye with everything else.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 10:55 AM   #6
Bassboss

I don't like the clips! IMO it takes to long! it either I'm slow at clipping/unclipping, or fast a tying!
Old 10-08-09, 11:33 AM   #7
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
I don't like the clips! IMO it takes to long! it either I'm slow at clipping/unclipping, or fast a tying!
I use a palomar knot which I really like. On lines heavier than 10# it is relatively easy to tie. On lighter lines is where my eyesight gets the best of me. I even bought some sunglasses with bifocals but I hate them because the bifocal area does not cut glare because it is clear. I switch sunglasses when tying lighter lines.
Old 10-08-09, 11:59 AM   #8
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm not sure what you mean by clips - I do use snap swivels sometimes as it makes switching lures much faster 'n easier.

I also use the palomar knot all of the time - much more reliable for me than the improved cinch knot which takes longer, is harder to do in a bobbing boat and for me anyway, has sometimes pulled apart.
Old 10-08-09, 12:39 PM   #9
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by clips - I do use snap swivels sometimes as it makes switching lures much faster 'n easier.

I also use the palomar knot all of the time - much more reliable for me than the improved cinch knot which takes longer, is harder to do in a bobbing boat and for me anyway, has sometimes pulled apart.
Clips are like swivels without the swiveling part. Palomar has been my favorite for a while because it is easier to tie and seems stronger than other knots I have used.
Old 10-08-09, 02:23 PM   #10
Shake n' Bake
BassFishin.Com Member

Why would you use a clip without a swivel instead of one with a swivel?
Shake n' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 02:43 PM   #11
flfireman

I was using duo-clips a lot, but started losing lures and fish if they got hung up. When I tie direct with my power Pro, the hook would bend before the knot would snap. With the clips they would fail.
Old 10-08-09, 02:46 PM   #12
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n' Bake View Post
Why would you use a clip without a swivel instead of one with a swivel?
With a swivel some baits spin which I don't want. I have also had swivels break on me at the swivel part.
Old 10-08-09, 03:39 PM   #13
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I only use snaps on a cranks. And even then, I only use the snap and only duolock snaps.

I think this is the most secure kind of snap you can get, and wouldn't use anything else now.

BB
Old 10-08-09, 04:01 PM   #14
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I only use snaps on a cranks. And even then, I only use the snap and only duolock snaps.

I think this is the most secure kind of snap you can get, and wouldn't use anything else now.

BB
That is what I use.
Old 10-08-09, 04:08 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I only use snaps on a cranks. And even then, I only use the snap and only duolock snaps. BB
But BB144, are you taking into account the spinning crank problem we discussed previously? Have you considered tacking one of those snaps onto a swivel to protect your line from those stray weeds?
Old 10-08-09, 04:34 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
But BB144, are you taking into account the spinning crank problem we discussed previously? Have you considered tacking one of those snaps onto a swivel to protect your line from those stray weeds?
I don't use the swivels because I think they make it easier for a crank to spin if it isn't tuned correctly. I may be wrong, but I still don't. In the case of line wrapped around hooks causing the spinning, the swivel isn't going to help anyways.

I've never though about the weeds thing though. But it makes sense. When we troll for musky, most of the weeds get caught at the swivel at the top of the steel leader... However, when bass fishing, I normally either fish cranks in open water, or rip them out of weeds, so a stray weed or two really doesn't make a difference.

BB
Old 10-08-09, 04:38 PM   #17
nofearengineer

You must fish different type lakes than Patoka, where I haunt. I wouldn't mind a little trolling at Dale Hollow...it's supposedly fairly oligatrophic (nerdy word for clear and low in nutrients). My cranks wouldn't get all weeded up.
Old 10-08-09, 05:02 PM   #18
AUFred

I will forgo the clip in weedy waters because that is just something else for weeds to hang on.
Old 10-08-09, 05:49 PM   #19
keithdog

I use duo lock snaps on my cranks and surface baits only. I feel the snap allows the lure better action, and it also allows for fast change of lures. Also, I hate tying to a split ring which you'll find on most cranks. I have found my line wedged in between the wires in the split ring more than once and don't feel safe with that. I'm sure the line wedging into the wires must be weakened. By using a duo lock snap I can forget about the split rings.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 06:10 PM   #20
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I use duo lock snaps on my cranks and surface baits only. I feel the snap allows the lure better action, and it also allows for fast change of lures. Also, I hate tying to a split ring which you'll find on most cranks. I have found my line wedged in between the wires in the split ring more than once and don't feel safe with that. I'm sure the line wedging into the wires must be weakened. By using a duo lock snap I can forget about the split rings.

I agree. I do not like tying to a split ring either. I think sometimes the line gets nicked up especially if the knot slips to the area of only one wire where the ring splits. Another reason for using the clips.
Old 10-08-09, 06:11 PM   #21
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
I use a palomar knot which I really like. On lines heavier than 10# it is relatively easy to tie. On lighter lines is where my eyesight gets the best of me. I even bought some sunglasses with bifocals but I hate them because the bifocal area does not cut glare because it is clear. I switch sunglasses when tying lighter lines.
Ya, I use the Polomar most of the time too! But seeing what kind of snaps you guys are using (like the one BigB posted) I think it would be pretty easy, I've only use Norman speed clips. Takes me 2 -3 mins just to get the thing open!
Old 10-08-09, 06:26 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

No comment on the snaps. I don't ever use them, so I have no experience with them. But as far as the split ring problem, I have had the line slip into the gap and wind up pinched between the loops of the ring. However, there is a solution:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/...plit_rings.htm

Oval shaped split rings will allow you to tie straight to the lure, without running the risk of pinching your line and causing a weak spot.
Old 10-08-09, 06:56 PM   #23
BigBassin144

MB is right, the oval split rings to help. I've got a few cranks with them. I've also got a few with pear shaped rings. They to the same thing.

BB
Old 10-22-09, 08:44 AM   #24
autigersupG3
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Snaps

Fred,

I use snaps and just about all my hard baits. I typically only use line 12 lbs or smaller...even on Weiss lake with all the logs...I don't use snaps on plastics...
autigersupG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 09:27 AM   #25
AUFred

Quote:
Originally Posted by autigersupG3 View Post
Fred,

I use snaps and just about all my hard baits. I typically only use line 12 lbs or smaller...even on Weiss lake with all the logs...I don't use snaps on plastics...
I have even used snaps on plastic frogs if the water was real clean. Otherwise yes I tie direct on plastics & most spinnerbaits.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.