Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-23-11, 08:21 PM   #26
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbasser View Post
Dose anyone use braid and just floro for leaders? The feel of braid is so good you have to train yourself to let the bite happen for a but before you slam the hook set!
I tend to use all braid or all fluorocarbon , but I'm lazy and hate tying joiner knots

Jim
Old 03-24-11, 09:28 AM   #27
coldbasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There is a real easy joiner knot to use with braid and floro if anyone wants info on it I can post it I can tie this knot when my hands are cold and they get cold here in gods county Canada a.
coldbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:54 AM   #28
BigBurlyBass

ya please tell!
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:51 PM   #29
coldbasser

Have both lines running the same direction approx: a foot or so make a loop with both together so it looks like a 0 wind tag ends 3 to 4 times around the inside of the loop wet and pull tight you might nead to pull tag ends also than trim the tags and you are done. Hope this helps if Knot no pun intended I can try to expain it better.
Tight Lines
Old 03-24-11, 05:21 PM   #30
cassidyta

I believe that you are speaking about the seaguar knot.
http://www.netknots.com/html/seaguar_knot.html
Old 03-24-11, 06:18 PM   #31
MississippiBoy

Actually, I think it's the Surgeon's Knot

http://animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoi...matedknots.com
Old 03-24-11, 09:02 PM   #32
M_A_C_K

so i take it noone uses monofilament anymore other than me lol
M_A_C_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 10:13 PM   #33
cassidyta

I use mono for several applications. Mono is my goto topwater and swimbait line.
Old 03-25-11, 01:47 AM   #34
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I still use mono quite a bit too. Mainly for topwater and sometimes when I am fishing a spinnerbait.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 11:35 AM   #35
BigBurlyBass

ya mono for topwater also
Old 03-25-11, 01:24 PM   #36
coldbasser

The knot is more like the surgens knot, than the seaguar one though that knot looks worth a try also, another one is the surgens loop. Put a loop in both the braided line and the mono leader line. Put the loop of the mono into the loop of the braid than feed the mono leader line through the mono loop and voila you have a non slip mono leader. Great pages for knots thanks Mississippi Boy and cassidy ta
Old 03-25-11, 08:32 PM   #37
M_A_C_K

Yeah it suprises me how many ppl dont learn there nots when fishing... the quality of your catch depends on your knots... i usually use the palomar knot for direct tie ons... the trilene is stronger but the wraps can make it have weak points... and your right the surgeons knot is easy and it makes great leaders... even tho i dont use leaders much...
Old 03-25-11, 11:25 PM   #38
coldbasser

I have a hard time buying "literally" into the floro craze, commercial fishermen don't use floro and there catches at least here in Manitoba have not suffered. If fish could see and recognise line they would not swim into it! I to use the palomar knot for direct tie ons.
Old 03-26-11, 12:00 AM   #39
M_A_C_K

Yeah i like using monofilament. Some of the softer monos are very flexable. Now don't ever buy the cheap eagle claw mono. I got like 1400 yards for $3.50 and its like crunchy hard rope lol. Good for leaders tho lol. But I'm very satisfied with a good monofilament.
Old 03-26-11, 01:41 AM   #40
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbasser View Post
I have a hard time buying "literally" into the floro craze, commercial fishermen don't use floro and there catches at least here in Manitoba have not suffered. If fish could see and recognise line they would not swim into it! I to use the palomar knot for direct tie ons.
Line visibility isn't the main reason I use flourocarbon. Do fish see line? I don't know the answer to that question and I don't think any of us can prove one way or another. I agree that fishing braid in clear water doesn't keep us from catching fish. But does it keep us from catching more fish? I don't know. However the main reason I choose to use flourocarbon is because of the sensitivity it offers. I use it because I can feel a lot more bites and detect small changes in the bottom a lot easier than I can with mono. I still use mono for applications where feel isn't as important, even in clear water. But not everyone who uses flourocarbon does so because they believe that line visibility spooks fish.
Old 03-26-11, 08:00 AM   #41
cassidyta

For me, I think that the visibility factor does have some science behind it, but that doesn't have a lot to do with why I use it. For me it it is both the sensativity and durability factor for me. It may be that I have bought into the hype, but I feel more confident when I am throwing fluoro on drop shot, jigs, T-rigs, and while flipping and pitching. I also like it with my cranks because it does sink faster than the mono.
Old 03-26-11, 09:12 AM   #42
coldbasser

Red face

For sesativity I use fireline on 90% of my reels with a floro leader. Cranks I use fireline to get the cranks deeper. This year I,m going to try all floro and mono on a few reels. Not quite sure but I overheard my wife telling her friends that I am not very sesative nor do I fish deep enough
Who knew
Old 03-26-11, 10:16 AM   #43
Bassboss

As far as viability goes, I'm split. Right now my I have braid on all my rods other than my crankbait rod. My spinning rod was red 20lb Ppro. I plan on using a leader on that rod. For my bait caster (which has 40lb green Ppro), I'll use a leader on that rod when I'm fishing for smallies in the river, and around rocks. When around grass, I don't plan on using a leader at all. I feel that the green blends in fine, and helps cut through the grass, so ya don't get snagged as easy. For my spinning rod, I plan on always using a leader. #1, the red won't bland in with grass. And #2, if I'm using a spinning rod, it's usually because finesse is required. And IMO, when bass want finesse, they can be picky about line viability. If you've ever seen bass underwater in cold water (look on you tube), they'll circle around the bait slashingly numerous times before bitting. I don't want anything against me when it comes to getting a bit or not when they'll few and far between.
Old 03-26-11, 12:38 PM   #44
coldbasser

How long of a leader do you use? Yes the bass do circle and side body slam baits before
actually biting them. Sometimes the come steight up from underneath and slam them. Most people that fish topwaters hear and see this attack on there bait. Bass use this attack underwater aslo but do not miss the bait as often. Or so my experiance has been.
Old 03-26-11, 12:57 PM   #45
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Line visibility isn't the main reason I use flourocarbon. Do fish see line? I don't know the answer to that question and I don't think any of us can prove one way or another. I agree that fishing braid in clear water doesn't keep us from catching fish. But does it keep us from catching more fish? I don't know. However the main reason I choose to use flourocarbon is because of the sensitivity it offers. I use it because I can feel a lot more bites and detect small changes in the bottom a lot easier than I can with mono. I still use mono for applications where feel isn't as important, even in clear water. But not everyone who uses flourocarbon does so because they believe that line visibility spooks fish.
Ditto. Well said.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-11, 01:50 PM   #46
M_A_C_K

well said man... i also think everything is about confidence... if you think somthing may help you be ahead of the curve you're most likely to fish better cuz you're confident in what you're doing.
Old 04-05-11, 10:08 PM   #47
BigBurlyBass

So, finally bought some Seaguar inviszx in 12 pound test (wanted 15 but they did not have it) and spooled it up on my reel to go my cousins they got a small pond right next to there house and... DARN IT IS STILL FROZEN! and haven't been able to get out since that time either so that line has been sitting on there for over a week now, I am just wondering if it is going to have a whole bunch of memory since it has been on there for a while, I hope not
Old 04-05-11, 11:54 PM   #48
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBurlyBass View Post
So, finally bought some Seaguar inviszx in 12 pound test (wanted 15 but they did not have it) and spooled it up on my reel to go my cousins they got a small pond right next to there house and... DARN IT IS STILL FROZEN! and haven't been able to get out since that time either so that line has been sitting on there for over a week now, I am just wondering if it is going to have a whole bunch of memory since it has been on there for a while, I hope not
It might have kinked up on you a little bit but shouldn't be enough to cause you much trouble. I would give it a few shots of KVD Line and Lure conditioner before using it if you can, this will help you quite a bit.
Old 04-06-11, 11:13 AM   #49
BigBurlyBass

actually I did spray some of the KVD line and lure conditioner on my line, but I will spray some more on before I go out on the water.
Old 04-06-11, 11:37 AM   #50
MississippiBoy

Spray it on the night before, if you can, then again the morning of. That should give it enough time to work its magic.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.