Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-29-10, 12:30 PM   #1
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default GLoomis NRX

This one looks interesting. Unfortunately the price tag will be prohibitive to many, including me ($520 - $540). I'd sure like to hear some of the rod builder's take on this rod, particularly on the mixed guide types to "increase sensitivity." Tackle Tour did a write-up on it that had good info in it, but you'll have to wade through the lather that they worked themselves into while doing so. I didn't quite understand the doublespeak (to me) regarding rod composition that enabled it to be 15% lighter, & 20% stronger. Hopefully you builders can shed some light on the validity of that too. Do you builders think these blanks will be available to you soon? Would you even be interested in them if they were? Your thoughts, please. Any others who have an opinion on the subject, sound off.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 03:36 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer1 View Post
This one looks interesting. Unfortunately the price tag will be prohibitive to many, including me ($520 - $540). I'd sure like to hear some of the rod builder's take on this rod, particularly on the mixed guide types to "increase sensitivity." Tackle Tour did a write-up on it that had good info in it, but you'll have to wade through the lather that they worked themselves into while doing so. I didn't quite understand the doublespeak (to me) regarding rod composition that enabled it to be 15% lighter, & 20% stronger. Hopefully you builders can shed some light on the validity of that too. Do you builders think these blanks will be available to you soon? Would you even be interested in them if they were? Your thoughts, please. Any others who have an opinion on the subject, sound off.
I'm pretty sure they around 450.. maybe they changed it!

But I'd love to see what the rod builders here have gotta say about this stick and the guides on her, too.
Old 07-29-10, 04:01 PM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A little read on the nano resin.

http://www.rodmakermagazine.com/blog/

As far as the hybrid guides...I cant say.Ive never used recoils...People claim theyre more sensistive being one piece,but I really dont know....Its an interesting concept...I like to hold one in person soon.

They had a testing tank at Icast to let people test thier sensitivity by draggin jigs over different terrains....I thought that was neat...I dont think it had water in it though?

As far as buying the blank...Loomis wont offer it...Even if they did...****!..You might as well buy the whole rod for the price they would ask for the blank.

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 07-29-10 at 04:22 PM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-10, 08:50 PM   #4
geezer1

Good read on the nano resin Waffle...I have recoils on a custom made spiral wrap. Was wondering how the mixed guides would work on a spiral wrap (my initial thoughts are that there should be little to no difference between it & an in-line setup).
Old 07-29-10, 09:11 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
A little read on the nano resin.

http://www.rodmakermagazine.com/blog/

As far as the hybrid guides...I cant say.Ive never used recoils...People claim theyre more sensistive being one piece,but I really dont know....Its an interesting concept...I like to hold one in person soon.

They had a testing tank at Icast to let people test thier sensitivity by draggin jigs over different terrains....I thought that was neat...I dont think it had water in it though?

As far as buying the blank...Loomis wont offer it...Even if they did...****!..You might as well buy the whole rod for the price they would ask for the blank.
Hmmm... good read. Apparently this is a little more gimmicky than I thought.

That is if I read it right.

So basically, the nano resin is not something that will make the rod more sensitive necessarily, just a stronger rod? The NRX just uses a bad bass blank with the resin stuff, and it's the accrual graphite that'll make the rod more sensitive, the resin to make it stronger and lighter?

Correct?
Old 08-03-10, 12:51 PM   #6
Vegasspider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just bought two MODEL NRX 822S SYR's will let you know what I think once I get them on the water.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-10, 01:04 PM   #7
geezer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasspider View Post
I just bought two MODEL NRX 822S SYR's will let you know what I think once I get them on the water.
Good deal, Vegas! Your initial impression must have been favorable if you bought two of them. Looking forward to reading your review.
Old 08-03-10, 03:32 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Loomis is not the company it once was. All they are now is an over priced Shimano. Hell Gary Loomis theese days designs rods for TFO. Saying all that i've owned 2 loomis rods. When they mean life time warranty they mean it. I had a 1988 IM6 ultra light break early this spring. There replacing it no questions asked with it's newer counter part that cost 450.00. So as much as that rod cost your getting allot more then a good rod your getting a rod that will last you a life time. Or it's on them trying to do so.
Old 08-10-10, 07:04 PM   #9
Bender

Sorry to drift off topic a little, but I don't think I will be buying any more of them. They seem to have changed their warranty a bit and now the Xpeditor service is $100 and is only good once ever per rod.

While the NRX looks great, my buddy who buys a lot of Loomis rods has had a lot more trouble with breakage since Shimano took over. I hope the new line doesn't suffer this as well.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 07:10 PM   #10
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Does that affect all Loomis rods or just the ones bought since the change? or just the NRX?
Old 08-19-10, 10:53 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

Yesterday I went and looked at the NRX's at a local shop...I was very dissappointed....
First off,the rod was not nearly as light as I thought it would be...I compared it to a Cumulus, (A Shimnao rod Im not fimilar with but very impressed by) and the Cumulus was by far lighter,and also had better construction (100 dollars less than the NRX AT 350ish)....Every NRX I picked up (about 4) had sloppy construction...The first one I grab had crooked guides..I little crook I can handle,but two of them were real bad....One of the reel seats was peeling away from the blank...Epoxy was not clean on the reel seat and was streaking across the blank.....Gaps all in the thread work,and with that blue thread shows up really bad..
This is just a first impression of the rod...Im not saying thier bad.I was just dissapointed for the price tag.
Old 08-19-10, 11:03 AM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Waffle, how did the rods balance?

I've noticed some of these, especially the sloppy thread work on my IMX as well as the couple my dad uses. G. Loomis is not the company it once was.

Also, the price mentioned previously is not correct. They retail for $450-500 depending on the rod. Which is still ridiculous and more than I can spend on a rod.

BB
Old 08-19-10, 11:23 AM   #13
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Waffle, how did the rods balance?

I've noticed some of these, especially the sloppy thread work on my IMX as well as the couple my dad uses. G. Loomis is not the company it once was.

Also, the price mentioned previously is not correct. They retail for $450-500 depending on the rod. Which is still ridiculous and more than I can spend on a rod.

BB

I didnt check...I was blind sided by some used Revo's and Citica's for sale....

But yea the price was about 450...I think the biggest thing was the weight..It wasnt horrible by any means,just not up to the hype or expectations at all imo.I know its different in everyones hand,but too me,it was a let down.
Old 08-19-10, 08:53 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I didnt check...I was blind sided by some used Revo's and Citica's for sale....

But yea the price was about 450...I think the biggest thing was the weight..It wasnt horrible by any means,just not up to the hype or expectations at all imo.I know its different in everyones hand,but too me,it was a let down.
Yeah, I kind of expected most of it to be hype. To me, a balanced rod is much more important than a super light one.

BB
Old 08-19-10, 09:20 PM   #15
nofearengineer

I guess Shimano is doing to Loomis what AMX did to Harley-Davidson.

Maybe the Loomis fans will get their wish and Gary will end up buying the company back after ****mano runs it into the ground.
Old 08-19-10, 09:40 PM   #16
BigBassin144

I think Gary should just start producing quality rods under the NFC name. Then Shimano/G Loomis would actually have something to sue him for.

BB
Old 09-03-10, 01:43 PM   #17
Lilmoosecountry

Why he's getting paid pretty good by TFO. Now that's a working man's rod. Hell there 100.00 rods have the same Ask no questions Warranty. Shimano only hurt's there Loomis name. Not help it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.