Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-13-10, 10:42 AM   #1
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Pick Four, Please

No, this isn't the lottery, it's just something I thought would help me (and other members) get a better feel for rod choices. Chances are, variations of this question have already been asked and answered, but if I may beg your indulgence, let's do it again for the newer members:

Suppose you were stuck on this deserted island -- not Tom Hanks' relatively small 'castaway' island -- but an island large enough to have a large freshwater lake somewhere near the middle of it. This lake happens to be loaded with Largemouth of all sizes, and there is a variety of underwater structure in the lake, as well as scattered vegetation around much of the banks. (This is beginning to sound like a good place to be stuck.)

So here's the kicker: If you had to choose just FOUR (4) fishing rods that you could have with you during your incarceration on this island, what four would you choose? Your rod choices can be based on technique only, what you can realistically afford, or a combination of these two criteria. You also get to decide how large the lake is and whether you will be fishing from a boat or from the banks. You may have your choice of reels and your tackle box with whatever baits you prefer to use.

Why only FOUR rods? The answer to that comes later...
Old 09-13-10, 10:59 AM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

7ft MH/F-casting x2
7ft Med/Mod-fast
6'3 Med/fast

The reason I chose two of the first one is because since Im on a deserted island,I can only imagine be surrounded by trees,rocks,and untamed wildlife...After days of seclusion and madness from the sun,I would lose my focus and snap a rod by running into a coconut tree or by defending myself from the local wildlife..Monkeys,bears,dinosaurs,etc..Its good to have a backup.

The shorter rod is also due to trees and casting availibility till I build a floating raft with beavers tied together as a trolling motor.
Old 09-13-10, 11:07 AM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't need four rods. Only two.

While more rods definitely helps, and is a convenience (trust me, I own far more than I probably need), I could get by with the following in a pinch.

7' MH/Fast with a baitcaster
6'6" M/XFast with a small spinning reel.

I feel like there isn't much I couldn't catch with this pair of rods. And if I could only have one, I'd take the 7' MH/Fast.
Old 09-13-10, 11:26 AM   #4
Jrob78

7' MH/F casting
7'6" H/F casting
7' ML/F casting
7'4" MH/M casting

I think I could cover all my needs with these 4 rods. I don't like spinning gear so I would need a reel that can handle light baits for the ML rod. I'm thinking something like a Pixy. I would also want a low gear ratio reel for the moderate action rod. The other 2 reels can be 6.3:1. I would also want drag and bearing upgrades on my reels with a supply of lubricants to keep them all running properly.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-13-10 at 11:43 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 11:40 AM   #5
bassboogieman

One spin & one cast would get me by. Both 6'9", M/F spin and a MH/F casting. I'm not there for fun or a tournament, but to survive. If i could only have one it would be the spinning rod, because if it's an island. . . . . . the WIND WILL BE BLOWING.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 01:25 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I could get by with two.

7'4" MH F; casting
7' ML F; casting (more specifically, a Pixy)

Additionally, since you asked for 4:

A shorter rod would help in confined areas, so:
6'3" MH F; casting.

And to round it up, throw in a 7' M XF casting rod just for fun.

BB
Old 09-13-10, 03:57 PM   #7
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Casting

6'6" MH/F
7' M/MF
7'4' MH/F

Spinning

6'8" MH/XF

I could easily cover all my basis with these. I'm just glad I don't have to!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 04:51 PM   #8
bamabassman

Since I am supposed to be on a deserted island.... I will take a med-heavy 7 footer fast tip, med fast tip 7 footer. Then the same in a 6 footer.
Old 09-13-10, 05:58 PM   #9
keithdog

Well, taking into account "how" I like to fish, I'd say the following.
1 6'10" heavy-xtra fast
1 6'6" Hed Heavy-fast
1 6'6" med-fast
1 7"0" Medium-moderate
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 06:06 PM   #10
thekevster
BassFishin.Com Member

Hmmmm I would go with the following and I think I would do well.

casting

7'6" MH/Fast action
7' MH/Moderate action
7' M/Fast action

spinning

6'6" M/Fast action
thekevster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 09:31 PM   #11
walkeraviator

I assume there is no game warden... so i could get by on three rods

T
N
T
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-10, 10:58 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

7' XH
6'6 Med-Mod
7' MH-Fast

and a spinning rod- 6'6 M-Fast
Old 09-14-10, 07:14 PM   #13
Dominic
BassFishin.Com Member

6' Spinning rod w/ 8lb line
6' Baitcaster w/ 10lb line
6'6" Baitcaster w/ 12lb line
7' Baitcaster w/ braid
Dominic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 08:21 PM   #14
Ebbetsguy

6'6" MH/Fast Baitcaster
6'6" Med/fast Baitcaste
6'6" med/fast spinning

A big wooden rod to beat the gators off at night
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 08:29 PM   #15
bcklash

The rods named after me---UGLY STICKS in 7' med and mh. Ifin your going to be stranded awhile, you had better have a rod that will last. Even on a deserted island there's a Wally World.
Old 09-14-10, 11:01 PM   #16
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post

The shorter rod is also due to trees and casting availibility till I build a floating raft with beavers tied together as a trolling motor.
I have one of those in the garage. It's yours if you can haul it away.
Old 09-17-10, 06:34 PM   #17
HarveysMinnow

OK, it looks like this thread has run its course. Thanks to all of you who responded. My primary reason for asking for FOUR rods was because I'm going to design and build my own rod carrier, and I can't imagine that I would want to carry more than four rods on my average fishing excursion. So, I wanted to get you guys opinions on what you considered your four 'essential' rods.

It's interesting that all you 'heavyweights' use mostly the heavy stiff action rods that I associate with lunker bass fishing. (I'm defining 'heavyweights' in this case as those posters who have talleys of 500+ posts...feel free to disagree with that arbitrary boundary.) Nothing against lunker bass, but I fish mostly farm ponds and smaller lakes, and in most of these in this area, the bass just don't seem to get that big.

I rarely go fishing without taking a fly rod along and most of the time I would also carry an ultralight setup. That's in case the bass just refuse to cooperate, in which case I might turn to panfish - bluegill, etc. - great fun on a fly rod. I would round out my other two with a 6' med action spinning rod and maybe a 6.5' bait caster med/fast setup.

I just have not seen anything I was really wild about in rod quivers or other carriers, so I'll let you know how my homemade carrier turns out..

Old 09-17-10, 07:58 PM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
It's interesting that all you 'heavyweights' use mostly the heavy stiff action rods that I associate with lunker bass fishing. (I'm defining 'heavyweights' in this case as those posters who have talleys of 500+ posts...feel free to disagree with that arbitrary boundary.) Nothing against lunker bass, but I fish mostly farm ponds and smaller lakes, and in most of these in this area, the bass just don't seem to get that big.
The action and power of rods used for bass fishing has far more to do with baits used and cover fished than size of fish caught. Notice that most everyone included a M power casting rod or a spinning set up in their 4 rod arsenal to cover lighter baits that might be used.

Quote:
Suppose you were stuck on this deserted island -- not Tom Hanks' relatively small 'castaway' island -- but an island large enough to have a large freshwater lake somewhere near the middle of it. This lake happens to be loaded with Largemouth of all sizes, and there is a variety of underwater structure in the lake, as well as scattered vegetation around much of the banks. (This is beginning to sound like a good place to be stuck.)
Your original scenario described a well rounded lake, fished from a boat, with "underwater structure, vegatation and largemouths of all sizes." If you had said, "small farm ponds with mostly small bass fished from the shore," you probably would have gotten different answers.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-17-10 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 09:11 AM   #19
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
The action and power of rods used for bass fishing has far more to do with baits used and cover fished than size of fish caught. Notice that most everyone included a M power casting rod or a spinning set up in their 4 rod arsenal to cover lighter baits that might be used.
Ok, point taken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Your original scenario described a well rounded lake, fished from a boat, with "underwater structure, vegatation and largemouths of all sizes." If you had said, "small farm ponds with mostly small bass fished from the shore," you probably would have gotten different answers.
I dislike quoting myself, but maybe that's the easiest option in this case:

"Your rod choices can be based on technique only, what you can realistically afford, or a combination of these two criteria. You also get to decide how large the lake is and whether you will be fishing from a boat or from the banks."

I guess I made this more complicated than necessary, but I thought some respondants might enjoy building their own fantasy fishing spot. It probably would have been more suitable to simply say, "If you had to choose only four rods to use at your favorite fishing spot, what would they be?"

Oh well, no harm, no foul...

Old 09-18-10, 11:48 AM   #20
Jrob78

It was a fun "what if" anyway. Sorry you didn't exactly get the answers you were hoping for.

Last edited by Jrob78; 09-18-10 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-18-10, 01:36 PM   #21
walkeraviator

If i were a fram pond fisherman like you say you are and had a four rod setup to go with... this is my thought...

6' ML Spinning Rod
6' M Casting Rod
7' MH Rod
and...

well actually i could get away with just those three... but that is based on your later post that you fish from the bank in smaller ponds... the shorter rods are gonna keep you from dealing with overhangs, and you dont need quite as much casting distance since the ponds are usually smaller and shallower...
Old 09-18-10, 01:55 PM   #22
HarveysMinnow

Certainly wise and worthwhile choices, Walker. My 4th rod is always one of my fly rods...I just don't go fishing without them. May not always use them, but as some other wise man once said: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

Old 09-18-10, 04:52 PM   #23
walkeraviator

Yeah fly rods are new to me... still learning the art of casting... as a matter of fact i may go practice right now... c'ya
Old 09-19-10, 10:00 PM   #24
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I could get by with two.

7'4" MH F; casting
7' ML F; casting (more specifically, a Pixy)

Additionally, since you asked for 4:

A shorter rod would help in confined areas, so:
6'3" MH F; casting.

And to round it up, throw in a 7' M XF casting rod just for fun.

BB
Farm pond or not, my choices would probably be the same, or very similar.

BB
Old 09-20-10, 11:11 AM   #25
HarveysMinnow

Thanks BB... now I'm curious: Is a Pixy a casting reel, or a specific model of casting rod? I'm not familiar with it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.