Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-21-06, 11:55 AM   #26
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I couldn't tell you for sure, but the guys made some very valid points.I believe as NCYankee does. I have had bass bite the jig so hard, that when you hookset , all you do is move the fish, the hook never sets.the other thing to consider is the distance when using mono. As Rebbasser said, the stretch is a factor.I know when fishing mono, I never cast as far as the reel can cast, it will usually be beyond getting a good hookset while using mono.The thing is you were using a craw imitator bait, which leads to my first theory. The bass hit them so hard to crush the craw against the roof of their mouth. I doubt you could have moved the hook on light mono line to get a good hookset, I use braid and still have difficulty at times.It's all a part of fishing.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 01:37 PM   #27
flfireman

To many well educated answers for me to add to, but Ill try. My first impression was the hook, the 2nd, happens to me- not a wide enough gap with a creature bait and it bunches up on the hook. Other than this humble opinion, go back and reread, most were very valid points.
Old 03-21-06, 02:39 PM   #28
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Again, to all of you, thanks for your comments, I appreciate your thoughts and for taking the time to share them. I was looking for an excuse to get me another rod anyway, now I can justify the cost for a new MED/HEAVY baitcaster....

By the way, the fish was approximately 25 feet away when I set the hook and I was using 15#Pline Co Poly on a med/med Airrus rod. The headshake was only about 15 feet from the boat, no, I did not bow to the fish, I was too excited as usual. And, by the way JB, yes it was windy out there.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 02:55 PM   #29
pig n jig

I had to learn to not be so cheap when using tube baits, just because it stayed on the hook after catching a few fish,you should change it for a new one. The plastic nose of the tube starts to bulge on the rapid hookset which blocked the hookpoint to properly set in the fishes mouth.I lost alot of fish before I came to that conclusion. The tell tale sign was the well hooked fish increased with a newer baits and faded as I kept using the same bait. I doubt it would be the problem on a solid bait, but hollow tube baits, it happens.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 03:13 PM   #30
Wishing2BFishing

Last year, I received information regarding a secret memo circulated to all Largemouth Bass. I was unable to unearth a copy but have been informed that it reads "ATTENTION ALL BASS . . . If you are hooked, swim towards the boat rather than away. This will increase your chance of a successful escape".
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 11:30 PM   #31
H2O
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Great analysis, folks. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is line. Mono has a lot of stretch-that also might be a factor if that is the type of line you are using.
Great point! IMO, mono is a bit hard to control the hooked fish, especially when I use topwater lures.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 08:34 AM   #32
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I had to learn to not be so cheap when using tube baits, just because it stayed on the hook after catching a few fish,you should change it for a new one. The plastic nose of the tube starts to bulge on the rapid hookset which blocked the hookpoint to properly set in the fishes mouth.I lost alot of fish before I came to that conclusion. The tell tale sign was the well hooked fish increased with a newer baits and faded as I kept using the same bait. I doubt it would be the problem on a solid bait, but hollow tube baits, it happens.P N J
Excellant point there buddy!!!
Old 03-22-06, 05:00 PM   #33
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

well i think the fish were just camera shy is all.....they knew we wanted to take their picture and they didn't want to pose so that's why they didn't let us get em in the boat.....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.