Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-06, 03:25 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Biggest disappointment of 2006?

After reading rebs post I thought I'd reverse the idea and see what was the biggest disappointment for fellow anglers this past years...Ideas like going to that big lake you've always heard about, but when you fished it a keeper was hard to come by...Or...more like what comes to mind for me is the dif. lures that everyone brags about, yet when I try it, its mediocre at best...
The Rapala X-Rap sure gets lots of attention here, so I go out and get 3 dif colors that always worked well in jerkbaits like the rogue, or stick baits..
Yet the more I threw them this spring the smaller the fish got! After talking to some members that were used to the X-rap, they told me to slow it down and pause it longer, and that did help somewhat..
But, after hooking up with a half dozen new lures(to me) that worked like a charm, the xrap has been the only disappointment so far. And thats not to mean it wont work great for me later down the road, but after ya purchase a lure you've been looking for a long time, its a let down when that lunker doesn't hit it, and yes, I know there's no "magic lure" out there.
So...anyone else like to share some letdowns for the past year, after having high expectations beforehand?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 04:27 PM   #2
Rebbasser

Probably the Chatterbait. It was supposed to set the fishing world on fire but apparently landed with a resounding thud.
Old 12-09-06, 05:02 PM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i agree with rebbasser on that one!!!got rid of all of mine.
Old 12-09-06, 05:04 PM   #4
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Probably the T-rig.
last year had along of bass with it, and this year not as much.
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 05:12 PM   #5
pig n jig

I can't think of anything except my new pair of sunglasses.that fit over my regular glasses from a local optical store..My cocoons got lost, either left in a friends vehicle, or left in the boat and blew out in transition from the lake.Next year will be another set, there is no substitute for a good pair of glasses.JB and Rebbasser, I actually like both baits you mentioned. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 07:26 PM   #6
crankybait

hmmm... most likely the spinnerbait. I tried so hard, fished it like a madman, yet nothing on it. not even a bite.
Old 12-09-06, 07:38 PM   #7
WTL

Flippin and pitchin bite.

I tore them up last year, this year it never got unhinged. Spent 2 weeks in florida and caught zero bass on the techinique. All told I caught 3 fish all year using it. It just dried up for me this year. But maybe I didn't stick with it enough.

And also my best rig sitting on the bottom of wheeler lake. I'm still pissed about that.
Old 12-09-06, 07:41 PM   #8
weaverml34
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have two actually.

1. I didn't get to fish near as much as I would have liked.

2. Last year my friends and I caught a lot of nice 2-3 lb. bass in my buddies pond. We figured that these fish would grow into nice 4-5 lbers. If they did we sure as heck didn't catch them. I'm not sure if they got real selective, didn't make through the winter or what. All I know is that we didn't catch them.
weaverml34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 08:58 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
I can't think of anything except my new pair of sunglasses.that fit over my regular glasses from a local optical store..My cocoons got lost, either left in a friends vehicle, or left in the boat and blew out in transition from the lake.Next year will be another set, there is no substitute for a good pair of glasses.JB and Rebbasser, I actually like both baits you mentioned. P N J

I have a spare set of Cocoons in Camoflage, just resend me your addy and they'll be in the mail

And my biggest disapointment was not to get to fish with some of the folks from this site, and only a couple of days with Bassintom. Perhaps next year will bring more fishing freinds into the fold.

Lizards
Old 12-09-06, 09:04 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Probably the Chatterbait. It was supposed to set the fishing world on fire but apparently landed with a resounding thud.

same here..

zooker
Old 12-09-06, 09:39 PM   #11
ToPwAt'R GuY

Definetly the chatterbait.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 10:13 PM   #12
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

I think my biggest disappointment this year, fishing wise, started out being the chatterbait, I really wanted it to work so I made a few of my own, instilled that little bit of confidence, and voila, I fished it more, and caught a few, still not entirely sold on it, but I think it has it's time and place, especially when you get creative with it.

My next biggest is probably fishing time, don't get me wrong, I fish somewhere around 125 days a year, but with our funny work schedules, I was unable to get on the water as much as I would have liked to!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 09:28 PM   #13
skeeter944

i fished almost every day this year! i usaully get out a about 15 times a month. my biggest disapointment this year is that i didnt keep as many fishing logs as i did last year. but i did catch about 250 bass, and about 100 being under 12'' and getting thrown out of the lake.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 06:11 PM   #14
CAHughes
BassFishin.Com Member

disappointment, only weighing in one fish at the three tournaments I got to fish in last year, also not getting the ONE bass in the boat at Amistad!!!
CAHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 09:09 PM   #15
CMorg

My biggest disappointment would be people that dont catch big fish with chatterbaits..haha.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 10:58 AM   #16
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

Well, let's see, there's the time I got wrote up for tresspassing on my favorite neighborhood fishing hole, then there was my second favorite fishing hole locked up by new owners for proposed housing construction.
The little retension ponds we fished around town here have all been drained or polluted with chemicals and the overall drop in numbers of fish we caught this year, yeah...I've had a few disappointments myself, and of course that other HUGE disappointment the biggest flop of the year.....Drum Roll Please.........Wait fer it.........The Chatterbait......TaaaDa
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 09:57 PM   #17
Rodman_Rob

To those folks who are disappointed with the chatterbait, maybe you should take a step back. The Chatterbait won the Classic this year. It definately started out with a bang. Instead of blaming the chatterbait, blame your technique. Nothing wrong with admitting your shortfalls, it gives you something to work on next year.

I have no disappointments this year, I'm a perfect fisherman.......other than being disappointed that I didn't catch the state and world record bass this year.
Old 12-12-06, 10:17 PM   #18
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

No it didn't, a hardnose worm won the Classic, the c-bait came in second (if memory serves me right, and i'm an old bastard)
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 10:24 PM   #19
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
No it didn't, a hardnose worm won the Classic, the c-bait came in second (if memory serves me right, and i'm an old bastard)
yep, you're right, still a very respectable finish for a new lure.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.