Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-10, 10:12 PM   #26
CiK
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You guys are talking about casting distance and line slap with an overhand cast.......I wonder what the benefits/downsides would be for micros on a pitching stick?
CiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 04:28 PM   #27
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
This is done because the guides are so close to the blank. It's better to have a gradual slope from the reel instead of a hard angle down. The idea is to have the line follow the curve of the blank as smoothly as possible when stress is applied, from the first guide to the last.
This is one thing I am going to have to echo. I recently replaced conventional guides with micros on a rod designed for senkos, small weightless plastics and the like. I have been and am still having a bit of trouble with small backlashes or loops in my 10# PP. Originally, the first micro, a size 3.5 was about 17 inches from the reel. This created a shallow but very odd looking angle from where the line comes off the round reel feeding into the guides.

I'll be playing with where to put that first guide for a while I think, but looking at a E21 rod it seems they are around 20" from the reel on a similar rod. I did cut the first guide off a few moments ago and even with one less guide (which now means the first guide is around 26" from the reel) it seems to be doing a little better.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-10, 06:00 PM   #28
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
This is one thing I am going to have to echo. I recently replaced conventional guides with micros on a rod designed for senkos, small weightless plastics and the like. I have been and am still having a bit of trouble with small backlashes or loops in my 10# PP. Originally, the first micro, a size 3.5 was about 17 inches from the reel. This created a shallow but very odd looking angle from where the line comes off the round reel feeding into the guides.

I'll be playing with where to put that first guide for a while I think, but looking at a E21 rod it seems they are around 20" from the reel on a similar rod. I did cut the first guide off a few moments ago and even with one less guide (which now means the first guide is around 26" from the reel) it seems to be doing a little better.
My first guide is somewhere in the neighborhood of 23" from the reel seat. You might try it with another line as well, 10lb Power Pro has to have the diameter of like 2 lb mono. This could be part of the problem.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:24 PM   #29
CiK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I recently replaced conventional guides with micros on a rod designed for senkos, small weightless plastics and the like.
What do you do to replace conventional guides with micros? What tools do you use to get through the old finish and thread without damaging the rod?

T
Old 03-02-10, 10:02 PM   #30
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
My first guide is somewhere in the neighborhood of 23" from the reel seat. You might try it with another line as well, 10lb Power Pro has to have the diameter of like 2 lb mono. This could be part of the problem.
Haha, the 10lbish braid is non-negotiable on this rod. The guides better get their mind right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiK View Post
What do you do to replace conventional guides with micros? What tools do you use to get through the old finish and thread without damaging the rod?

T

I used and exacto knife and cut the thread along the top foot of the guide. That loosens the guide enough that it comes off, then I carefully remove the rest of the epoxy. Not too tough.

Then, its a matter of placing and threading the new micros on, which is tough cause they are so small. We have discussed this at length throughout this and the rod build post that is also on or near the top of this particular board.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 11:02 PM   #31
Wishing2BFishing

I don't want to like the micro guides because if I do, I will want to replace my existing rods that I like so much.

The only positive that I see, is that with the micros, there are less rod-to-rod tangles. But, I recently got a bunch of Stick Jackets and they do the job just fine.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 01:39 PM   #32
CiK

Do all the major component suppliers make micro tip-tops too? I haven't seen to many of them. Any recommendations on which to use?
Old 03-15-10, 01:51 PM   #33
Jrob78

Quote:
Do all the major component suppliers make micro tip-tops too? I haven't seen to many of them. Any recommendations on which to use?
I use the Fuji Alconites, part code BMCAT. I know several other companies make them but these are the only ones I have ever used and probably will ever use as I really like Fuji Alconite guides.
Old 03-15-10, 02:19 PM   #34
CiK

I will check them out.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on buying the components for my first rod build. I have spent the last 2 months buying the "essentials" and practicing on some of my current rods. Strange enough, none of them had hook keepers on them, but they do now!

I am going to make a shaky head rod and I am really excited to get started on it.
Old 03-15-10, 03:01 PM   #35
Jrob78

Quote:
I will check them out.

I am almost ready to pull the trigger on buying the components for my first rod build. I have spent the last 2 months buying the "essentials" and practicing on some of my current rods. Strange enough, none of them had hook keepers on them, but they do now!

I am going to make a shaky head rod and I am really excited to get started on it.
That's awesome man! Is it going to be a casting rod or are you considering a micro spinning rod? I'm finishing up a micro spinning rod now, I'm looking forward to trying it out. If you have any questions or get stumped along the way feel free to pm me or make a post and I'm sure that myself or one of the other builders on the site can help you out.
Old 03-15-10, 03:07 PM   #36
Cavs1123

They look awesome and the concept makes sense to me but like a couple others said i would like to cast one first. Thats a great lookin rod JRob!
Old 03-15-10, 03:14 PM   #37
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
They look awesome and the concept makes sense to me but like a couple others said i would like to cast one first. Thats a great lookin rod JRob!
Thanks Cavs! I don't really think it will make a huge difference but like I said, I do feel as though I get a little added distance. I do like how they don't tangle and hang up with other rods so much and the weight decrease is pretty substantial. I think they are cool and I will continue to build with micros until I see a reason not to.
Old 03-15-10, 03:30 PM   #38
CiK

Quote:
That's awesome man! Is it going to be a casting rod or are you considering a micro spinning rod? I'm finishing up a micro spinning rod now, I'm looking forward to trying it out. If you have any questions or get stumped along the way feel free to pm me or make a post and I'm sure that myself or one of the other builders on the site can help you out.
Its going to be a spinning rod. Let us know how yours turns out. I will for sure hit you guys up if I have questions along the way.
Old 03-15-10, 03:59 PM   #39
Jrob78

Quote:
Its going to be a spinning rod. Let us know how yours turns out. I will for sure hit you guys up if I have questions along the way.
This is the method I used for guide placement.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/spinningNGC.pdf
Old 03-15-10, 05:16 PM   #40
WaffleJaw

Im still waiting for Jrob to post the rest of the pics of this rod.
Old 03-15-10, 05:49 PM   #41
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Im still waiting for Jrob to post the rest of the pics of this rod.
Haha, which rod would that be? The micro guide rod? I've got pics of all my rods, I just haven't posted them. I'm a little shy about posting pics of my rods I guess, it's a little hard to follow your work. I don't want to get heckled!! "You suck Jrob!!"
Old 03-15-10, 06:38 PM   #42
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Haha, which rod would that be? The micro guide rod? I've got pics of all my rods, I just haven't posted them. I'm a little shy about posting pics of my rods I guess, it's a little hard to follow your work. I don't want to get heckled!! "You suck Jrob!!"
Yea the micro rod,(and the other rods)You never posted the kick*** handle work with the tiger wrap!....My work aint nothing to follow (I appreciate the comment though).... Your work is just as clean,if not cleaner.

This is the deicated area where I make some kind of vag joke.....But Ive matured this weekend.

poppycock.
Old 03-15-10, 06:56 PM   #43
Jrob78

Quote:
Yea the micro rod,(and the other rods)You never posted the kick*** handle work with the tiger wrap!....My work aint nothing to follow (I appreciate the comment though).... Your work is just as clean,if not cleaner.

This is the deicated area where I make some kind of vag joke.....But Ive matured this weekend.

poppycock.
Wow, I am quite impressed! I was waiting for the tampon joke or the, hey Jrob, you spilled some salad on your skirt comment, you really have done a lot of growing and maturing over the weekend!

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. Maybe I will do a rod building pic montage after I get the spinning rod finished.
Old 03-15-10, 07:09 PM   #44
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Wow, I am quite impressed! I was waiting for the tampon joke or the, hey Jrob, you spilled some salad on your skirt comment, you really have done a lot of growing and maturing over the weekend!

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. Maybe I will do a rod building pic montage after I get the spinning rod finished.

Actually I was gonna call Webster and add a new word to the english language:

Jrob-(noun) The middle area of a woman.
Old 03-15-10, 07:23 PM   #45
Jrob78

Quote:
Actually I was gonna call Webster and add a new word to the english language:

Jrob-(noun) The middle area of a woman.
Hahahaha
Old 03-15-10, 07:34 PM   #46
CiK

Quote:
This is the method I used for guide placement.

http://www.rodbuilding.org/library/spinningNGC.pdf
What size guides are you using for the micro spinning rod? Are you starting with normal guides then transitioning to micros as you go down the rod?
Old 03-15-10, 07:52 PM   #47
Jrob78

Quote:
What size guides are you using for the micro spinning rod? Are you starting with normal guides then transitioning to micros as you go down the rod?
I'm using a 25, 16, 10 and then 6 size 4's. If you use the 27X choker guide method your results will probably be different. It all depends on what reel you use. Figure out where your choker guide is placed based on your reel spool diameter and reel location on the rod. After that the reduction guides fall into place exactly how they need to. I would order one of every size guide from 25 on down to 10, you won't use them all but you won't know which ones you will need until you get your reel mounted and your choker guide in place. The running guides just go on evenly spaced from the choker to the tip, however many it takes to get them 4-5" apart.

If you decide to use this method read the link I posted and it is really pretty simple once you get started. You do have to already have your reel though.
Old 03-15-10, 08:15 PM   #48
CiK

Great article!! I need to order the back issues of RodMaker!
Old 03-15-10, 08:17 PM   #49
Jrob78

Quote:
Great article!! I need to order the back issues of RodMaker!
I've been meaning to get a subscription, just haven't done it yet. Go to rodbuilding.org and look in the library, there is lots of great info.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.