Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-13-05, 07:42 PM   #1
morrow50
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to morrow50
Default Virginia Fishing

Anybody braved the cold to try there luck yet? :P

Mike
morrow50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-05, 07:58 PM   #2
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16
Default Re: Virginia Fishing

Mike, I think the only Va. fisherman here besides you is KShort. P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 12:40 PM   #3
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey,

There are a couple of people from Va in here, I know cajunbass is from Va. I finally go to go out fishing yesterday. It was raining/snowing first thing in the morning, but we didn't launch until about noon. We went to the pamunkey river. There was 3 of us. We only caught 4 largemouth and 1 striper. The largemouth were about 1lb to 2lb. I didn't catch any largemouth, but I did catch my first striper. It was about 3lbs. All the fish were caught on crankbaits. We fished them slow with pauses every so often and giving the crankbaits a few twitches on the retireve. I was just glad to be fishing and catching a couple of fish was even better. The boat ride was damn cold though. We ran about 40 miles up the river. The water temp was 44 and the air was about 47.
nb122679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 03:08 PM   #4
gallenl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to gallenl

I was out at one of the local ponds on sunday
to try out some reels and tackle I had bought over the winter.Caught nothing,but still had a great time.

flippin4it
gallenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 04:56 PM   #5
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

40 miles up the Pamunkey? Where'd you launch?
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-05, 05:18 PM   #6
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun,

There is a little public boat landing off of rt 30. It is down below Williams landing on the opposite side of the river, if you know where that is.

By the way, have you every fished the chickahominy river. I was looking for some tips for there. I have a tournament there on Saturday. We launch from powhatan resort off of rt 5. Any tips would be great. Thanks

Kevin
Old 03-16-05, 07:24 AM   #7
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok. I know the ramp. Can't think of the name of it off the top of my head. Man. I was wondering if you went to Lake Anna if you launched at Williams and ran upriver 40 miles.

I've fished the Chick a lot until about 5 years ago when the fishing really crashed there, but I never fished it this time of the year. This time of year, I was either up on the James at Dutch Gap, or down at Buggs Island. "Fraid I can't help you much, brother. Sorry. I guess I'd start looking in the back of the creeks looking for warmer water. Hope you have a falling tide.
Old 03-16-05, 08:56 AM   #8
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Cajun,

I think the name is Kent Ramp, however, another person I know called it Lucks. I think it is Kent though. Thank you.
Old 03-16-05, 10:28 AM   #9
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

I just looked it up on the game comission's website. It's Lester Manor Landing.

Man I love the Pamunkey River. I've been fishing down there as long as I've been fishing. Won many a club tournament there over the 15 years of so I fished with my club.

You ever fished "Big Creek"? I had a day in there a few years ago, that people dream of. I'll bet I had 100 lbs of bass. Probably averaged 4 lbs or so. The fellow with me had almost that many. Never hit 'em there again that like. Every little stick in the water had a GOOD fish on it. Of course they were gone the next week when we went back for a tournament.

I don't get that far down the river much. I normally fish upriver from the White House, especially with my little boat I've got now. If you ever see a J-16 Carolina Skiff with a cute red haired lady, and an old fat guy in it, come on over. It's probably Misty and I.
Old 03-16-05, 10:44 PM   #10
nb122679
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Cajun,

That was the first time I fished the pamunkey. The 2 guys I was with fish it quite a bit. They showed me some of there spots that the like, but I don't know where they are. I was wrong about how far we went, it was 40 miles round trip. We went up the river and almost made it to the 360 bridge. A couple of miles shy of the bridge. If I see a boat like the one you discribed, I will come say Hello. The club I joined has a tournament there in June or July, and then the Mattoponi is right after that. BTW, where is Big Creek? It might be the creek we stopped and fished right at the mouth of it the other day.
Old 03-17-05, 06:43 PM   #11
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Big Creek can't be seen from the main river. It's just upriver from Lestor Manor, on the same side of the river as the throughfare. You have to blast across about a 1/2 mile or so of mud flat to get into it. I found it on a USGS chart, and poled my boat across the flat while feeling my way. At high tide there might be three feet of water over the flat, maybe four. At low tide there is 1/2 to 1 foot. There are a couple of old duck blinds out on the flat that are hidden at high tide, or almost hidden. It's a trickey creek to get into. Once you get in, there is good water all the way to the back, which is a couple of miles, so you can spend the day in there. It's just getting in there.

I don't get to the Pamunkey as much as I used to when I lived in Richmond. It's about a 90 mile one way trip for me now, but I do love that river. I've won three or four tournaments and never put the boat on plane when we launched at Williams Landing.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.