Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-09, 08:42 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Rod socks and Reel covers?

In our little 16' v-hull boat, there's only two rod locker, one of which is only 6'6" (the other is 7'). So this means most of our rods get put into the longer of the two. Not only is this a pain to get out, but it's also bad for the rods and reels, as I've learned recently when I pulled my new Mojo Bass rod out and found some scratches between the handle and the first guide.

So I've been slowly acquiring rod socks and reel cover, but want some input on some good ones. The only reel covers I have right now are the one that came with my Revo and one I bought for my supreme 8030mg. I figure when I get enough money, I'll order some Daiwa neoprene ones from TW.

I've only got two rod socks, both similar to these:

I've got one on my Mojo and one of my jig/pitching rod. I'm going back to gander mtn soon to get a couple more. I really want one on my Crucial DS rod. My dad has a couple cheaper nylon socks from BPS, but they aren't that great at protecting the lower portion of the rods.

So, what are your inputs on rod socks and reel covers? any suggestions on some good ones?

BB
Old 10-24-09, 09:57 AM   #2
usngsm2
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to usngsm2

I have just started using stickjackets and reel socks. I love the combination of the two although if you're like me I try to put them back on after I have used the reel and rod combo. Its hard to keep up with them but it pays in the protection of your equipment from the elements. So far as the socks the rods are more easily accessible and I cringe less when taking them in and out of the rod locker.

They pay for themselves IMO
usngsm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 10:03 AM   #3
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use the ones at Gander Mt as well. Black for baitcasting, blue for spinning. At $10, they're a pretty good deal considering the value of many peoples rods and the $50+ it costs to get them replaced with the programs offered by G. Loomis and St. Croix.

I need them to slip all my rods in my boat's rod locker, or else they will hang up on each other when I try to pull one out.

I don't actually use any sort of reel cover. I set 5 rods down in the locker, put a small towel down that covers the reels, and set a few more on top.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 10:44 AM   #4
MIbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use the cheap BPS rod socks. They work, they are cheap and I can fit 14 rods in my locker with most of them being 7'. I don't use reel covers.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-09, 07:37 PM   #5
bassboogieman

I also use the BPS socks, have for years. They are a big help with a lot of rods in the locker. I took my rod rack out, the socks are better in my opinion - I get more in and have room left over for life jackets, and I can pull out any rod I want without removing a rod or two above it when I had the rack. I'm not a fan of the "chineese finger cuff", jackets as they are more difficult to get on and off in my experience.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 01:12 AM   #6
MississippiBoy

BB, I've seen somewhere online, maybe this site, where someone gave step-by-step directions on making your own reel cover. It was nothing but one of those cheap tarps from Walmart and a few pieces of Velcro. Cut the tarp in an oval shape, big enough to cover the reel and a section of the rod. Glue the Velcro to the long sides of the oval, slip it over the rod/reel, and stick it together. It's like making a reel taco...cheap and easy...
Old 10-25-09, 09:01 AM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Thanks guys, I like the "chinese hand cuff" type rod socks so far. I Actually find them easy to get on and off and like that they almost reach the forgrip on most of my rods. The only thing is, they get caught on hooks very easily, so I normally can't slide them all the way down to the foregrip anyways.

MB, I'll have to check out that think with the reel cover, it may be a good alternative until I can afford to get more neoprene ones.

BB
Old 10-25-09, 09:50 PM   #8
bigjim5589
BassFishin.Com Member

I got lucky with rod covers, I purchased a bunch on Ebay that were made for 9' GLoomis fly rods, and they work fine for my baitcasters as well. I have to fold them over on some of the shorter rods, but it's not a problem. My boat doesn't have rod lockers anyway.

Most of the reel covers I have are Shimano neoprene covers, but they're rather expensive, & I also have a couple of BPS covers. The Bass Pro Shop are similar to the Shimano, and right now they're on sale for less than $3 each. I have both round & low profile reels that I use, and the BPS covers work just fine for both.
bigjim5589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 11:40 PM   #9
Bender

BB,
I have about a dozen of these Cabela's ones with the hook guard and love them:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...378&id=0037306

The other rods have the BPS ones without the hook guards that I got first. There was a sponsor of this site a while ago that made really nice looking ones that I would like to try in the future. The only issue I have with any of them is that on my 7'6" Maglight tube rod they kind of bend it. The BPS ones won't fit at all and the Cabela's ones are not bad but the rod is very light action so it deflects.

BTW, those Cabela's ones go one sale sometimes and I think I got a bunch for $3.99 or so last winter.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 01:15 AM   #10
66KingFisher

I've never used a rod sock, but i've been using reel covers for years.....the most recent ones I got from BPS are made of neoprene and work great.....My equipment see's the bed of a pickup truck as much or more then it see's the deck of a boat,and I know what my reels look like after bouncin around some backroads for awhile without any protection....lol....so a reel cover is cheap protection in my book, just for the sole purpose of keepin my reels lookin nice.
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.