Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-11, 09:57 AM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default new lews

who has any of the new lews and what's you thoughts on them. looking at curado's e series vrs lews
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 10:28 AM   #2
DVT Mike

I don't own any but as far as I can see there is nothing inherently wrong with the new Lews Speed spool line. However, the current close out deals available on Curado E's makes them too good to pass up. They're tried and true.
Old 10-06-11, 06:41 PM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have 4 of the new speed spools, 3 of the Tournament Pro Speed Spools and the Cranking version of the Speed Spool with the longer 95mm handle. Depends of which model you are talking about as to how it compares to a Curado E.

Let me start off by saying that I also own a few Shimano reels as well, the Curado E, Citica E and 50E, I fish these on a fairly regular basis.

All the reels I own go through the same process of flushing and cleaning bearings, and proper lubrication.

The Lew's reels resemble ABU in their design, other than they do not have a two piece spool shaft, so they are closer to the older model Revo series, however they do have models that support dual braking.

At one point I liked the Lew's reels enough to seriously consider getting rid of my ABU reels and moving solely to Lew's, I have changed my mind since the purchase of the new Premier. IMHO the Lew's are much smoother than the Curado on both retrieve and casting, I believe this is due to Lew's placing quality bearings in key places that both enhance the cast and retrieve. The dual braking on the upper end Lew's is also a nice feature that further enhances the casting of the reel. The Lew's reels also come in a number of gear ratio's that will support most fishing situations. The drag in the Lew's is superior to the Curado as well IMO, it is a multi-disc carbon drag, and when made into a wet drag is very smooth, when dry it can be a little jerky, but mostly when the drag is set to the higher settings. The Lew's is a light reel that has nice looks and comes with a carbon fiber handle, overall I much prefer the total package of the upper end Lew's to the Curado.

Last edited by Tavery5; 10-06-11 at 09:57 PM.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 07:50 PM   #4
kennethdaysale

Who owns Lew's now and where do they make them. I had a couple of the original BB1n"s ?? that I really liked but I know they've changed hands a few times since then.
Old 10-06-11, 08:33 PM   #5
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Who owns Lew's now and where do they make them. I had a couple of the original BB1n"s ?? that I really liked but I know they've changed hands a few times since then.
Check out this link http://www.lews.com/lews-today.htm
Old 10-06-11, 09:47 PM   #6
lilmule

I havnt worn out my bb1 yet
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-11, 11:54 AM   #7
3dkicker

Haven't purchased one but got to give one, forget which model, a test drive. Sweet reel for under $100 (10% discount from shop owner offered).
Old 10-12-11, 03:15 PM   #8
Fish30114

Crank, I have the Lews Speed Spool Casting Reel, their enty level reel. It is about $90-100. I bought it in RH retrieve, which is counter to almost all my other reels, but it was all they had at my local Dick's. I like it a lot. I have a couple Curado's and Citica's and a BPS Prolite among a few others. I like the flat matte black color of the reel to start with--wish Shimano would dump the GREEN on the Curado.

Anyway, it is a sharp looking reel and performs well. I don't think it's a fair comparison to my Curados on casting distance, as I set the Lews up with Fireline braid and use it mainly to throw crankbaits a long ways out there, but set up for that application it shines--I can toss a 3/4 oz crankbait a long way with it--only 6' rod. I will say it took a fair bit more fiddling about to reduce it's desire to backlash, but once I got it dialed in it has stayed there, and I hardly have to get my thumb in the program at all with it.

The drag seems fine to me, perhaps just a pinch less smooth than my Curados. Again, I haven't done this a lot with it, but it does seem a fair bit easier to toss a light bait with my Curados and Citicas even, but I didn't do that a lot with my Lews, it is for ripping the crankbaits out there as I said. I think that one of the Lews a step or two up the ladder, to where the price is on the new Curado's (or the old ones before closeout prices) would give you a heck of a reel. At $180 I think, the Lews tournament Pro Speed Spool would be a heck of a reel. That is in fact what I think my next purchase is going to be, one of those in LH retrieve.........now what rod to try with it
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-11, 04:45 PM   #9
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish30114 View Post
I like the flat matte black color of the reel to start with--wish Shimano would dump the GREEN on the Curado.

They did, it's now black and white and says Chronarch on it....
Old 10-12-11, 05:02 PM   #10
Fish30114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
They did, it's now black and white and says Chronarch on it....
Ha--Classic!! I think you are pretty right!
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-11, 06:26 PM   #11
Crankbait

What brakes do they have?
Old 10-13-11, 07:07 PM   #12
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
What brakes do they have?
The Team Speed Spool, Tournament Pro Speed Spool, and Tournament Speed Spool have duel breaks with Mag. and centrifugal (with 4 pins). The Tournament MG have magnetic breaks which is the same reel as the TSS minus the centrifugal breaks. The regular Speed Spools only have centrifugal breaks.
Old 10-14-11, 02:38 AM   #13
Crankbait

awesome thanks Bassboss
Old 10-14-11, 08:53 PM   #14
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
The Team Speed Spool, Tournament Pro Speed Spool, and Tournament Speed Spool have duel breaks with Mag. and centrifugal (with 4 pins). The Tournament MG have magnetic breaks which is the same reel as the TSS minus the centrifugal breaks. The regular Speed Spools only have centrifugal breaks.

The Speed Spool is a mag brake reel.
Old 10-14-11, 10:53 PM   #15
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
The Speed Spool is a mag brake reel.
Well by golly you're right, lol. Thanks!
Old 10-18-11, 09:27 PM   #16
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
I was checking them out at the tackle shop today , they are made in Korea and look a lot like revos.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 09:49 PM   #17
Tavery5

I used my Speed Spool 5.4:1 reel quite allot this past weekend for throwing Norman DD22.
I had a small problem with the correct tension and brake adjustment to start with and had a couple of backlashes at the beginning of the cast. Once I added some spool tension, I was able to back off the mag brakes slightly and never had any other problems with casting throughout the day. The reel was very smooth on the retrieve, I did not catch any sizable fish to really give it a good test but I was able to land a few bass in the 2lb range. The over sized paddle grips and the longer handle made it very nice for cranking the deep diving cranks. All in all I was very satisfied with the performance of the reel.
Old 10-19-11, 05:31 AM   #18
Crankbait

Tavery That sounds good. Only problem is i dont know if i can match a low gear ratio in the 5's to a left hand model. i may have to off the bat start looking for a main/pinion gear swap......if possible.
Old 10-19-11, 07:32 AM   #19
Tavery5

lowest ratio in a wrong hander is 6.4:1
Old 10-19-11, 12:59 PM   #20
Crankbait

Quote:
lowest ratio in a wrong hander is 6.4:1
That's wrong and another post is there a difference in a left and right pinion gear?
Old 10-19-11, 01:36 PM   #21
Tavery5

Not sure of the exact differences but all reels I have researched had different part numbers for the LH and RH gear sets.
Old 10-19-11, 03:46 PM   #22
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Main and pinion gears are cut in a helical patern. This means the teeth are at an angle. You can't use RH gears in a LH reel because the teeth are cut at the opposite angle.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 06:11 PM   #23
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

revo gears(except infini spool) fit just fine if you want a lefty. So will the BPS gears. But I just bought the BPS and skipped spending extra on the gear set.

IMHO lefty is the right way when cranking. No wasted time swapping hands for me! Cast and crank cast and crank til ya get um!

By the way the reason for the different gear cut is noise. You can use a right hand set in a left real but it will sound horrid!
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-11, 07:28 PM   #24
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
Main and pinion gears are cut in a helical patern. This means the teeth are at an angle. You can't use RH gears in a LH reel because the teeth are cut at the opposite angle.
Really even the main gear?......why didn't i just ask you

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.