Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 04-05-13, 05:02 PM   #1
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default which type

i am going to buy a new deep crank bait rod. i have been read all i can on which is better glass. composite or graphite. just wondering which you prefer and why
Old 04-05-13, 05:52 PM   #2
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have two and both are S glass. Would never go back because using identical baits on a graphite rod and a glass rod one week apart the number of fish that stayed hooked up on the glass rod as opposed to the graphite rod won a tournament for me.
Old 04-05-13, 06:31 PM   #3
lilmule

Regardless if e glass or s glass glass ,tubular or solid of old is superior with crankbaits over graphite or composite
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 07:13 PM   #4
Jrob78

I have all 3. For deep cranking, I much prefer glass. Graphite would be my last choice. The glass helps make long, bomb casts, helps fish stay buttoned up because you always have tension on them, makes the retrieve less tiring because the rod absorbs most of the drag from the bait, plus, glass is just plain fun to fish. For me, the deeper I go, the slower I want my rod's action to be. I don't really like graphite for anything but shallow baits or really small baits.
Old 04-05-13, 07:45 PM   #5
Tavery5

I have composite and graphite, composite for deep cranks and graphite for all else, glass just don't do it for me. Glass in a lot of cases is heavy, has very little sensitivity and makes for too large of a diameter rod to be comfortable to me. I like a little sensitivity so I feel the wobble of bait, feel it ticking the top of grass or being able to tell if the hook is fouled with a leaf or such.

This is all highly subjective and anyone who tells you one is better than the other is fooling themselves, you have to determine what is right for you, and the only way I know to do that is get out and fish.
Old 04-08-13, 04:56 PM   #6
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I use a composite for deep cranking. At 7'6", it still loads up well enough to let sling baits out there. The fiberglass loads up very well and transitions smoothly into the powerful graphite backbone. Plus, I get the sensitivity from the graphite when I need it (like fishing lipless cranks)

BB
Old 04-08-13, 07:23 PM   #7
bassboogieman

Quote:
I have composite and graphite, composite for deep cranks and graphite for all else, glass just don't do it for me. Glass in a lot of cases is heavy, has very little sensitivity and makes for too large of a diameter rod to be comfortable to me. I like a little sensitivity so I feel the wobble of bait, feel it ticking the top of grass or being able to tell if the hook is fouled with a leaf or such.
BINGO! I know fiberglass has it's fans, but I don't like it. I've gotten to MUCH prefer light weight rods, 'glass is just too heavy and (I have no better word) "sloppy". I prefer graphite and mine happen to be designed as crank bait specific (basically moderate or mod/fast actions depending upon the depth of the crank) which I am happy with.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 01:39 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use graphite but they are designed for deep cranking. Both are Falcons, one a Cara and one a Lowrider. I find the reel is a lot more important-throwing a big bruiser like a DD-22 on a high speed reel is a real pain in the wrist-literally. Like Tav I don't like the weight and size of glass after using graphite. I picked up a KVD Quantum rod at wallyworld and felt like I was holding a saltwater rod. Still, it all comes to personal preference-use what works for YOU, not someone else.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.