Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-08-10, 01:17 PM   #1
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing a Frog

Is a frog only good for heavy grass and lily pads? I fish a lake that has very little green vegetation at the surface, and most of teh stand up timber is buzz bait safe. Is there any advantage to this bait in open water situations?
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 01:39 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I like throwing them in open water and throwing them a couple of feet on the bank and dragging them in the water to eliminate splash. Try a few different retrieves too. Twitch it a little, twitch aggressive, or run a constant speed for a reaction bite. Good luck on the frogging, when they are on, it is non stop excitement.
Old 04-08-10, 01:41 PM   #3
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I like throwing them in open water and throwing them a couple of feet on the bank and dragging them in the water to eliminate splash. Try a few different retrieves too. Twitch it a little, twitch aggressive, or run a constant speed for a reaction bite. Good luck on the frogging, when they are on, it is non stop excitement.

Definitely agree there. Personally, I only fish them on top of pads or throw them at reeds.
Old 04-08-10, 02:24 PM   #4
Jrob78

I generally only fish frogs in places where other top water baits won't work well, pads and anywhere that vegetation breaks the surface. I like working them over the holes in the vegetation.

I will throw toads in open water though. They have more of buzzbait action so they work well in open water with maybe slight vegetation under the surface.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-10, 04:27 PM   #5
bassinbob

I'm more of a slop/weed/pads/etc frog thrower. The only time I caught anything in open water on a frog was a muskie. That fish came up like a sub surfacing. Scared the heck outta me.
I'm thinking open water that isn't very deep might be good. Like around shore or between the pads or weeds and shore.
Old 04-08-10, 05:14 PM   #6
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
I'm more of a slop/weed/pads/etc frog thrower. The only time I caught anything in open water on a frog was a muskie. That fish came up like a sub surfacing. Scared the heck outta me.
I'm thinking open water that isn't very deep might be good. Like around shore or between the pads or weeds and shore.

I fished the frog a ton last year. Only had one blow up in open water. And of course, I didn't hook up on him
Old 04-08-10, 06:22 PM   #7
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I mostly use it on moss and crass but I do use it in open water in ponds. I throw it on the bank and then reel it really fast into the water making try to make it skip out about 10 feet in the water and let it sit for about 10 seconds (that's when I get 90%of the strikes) then I swim it back real slow and stop it every foot. If you ever walk around a pond and see frogs jump in you will know what I'm talking about. It has worked well for me.
Old 04-09-10, 12:46 AM   #8
screwballl

Depends on the location...
Pretty much anywhere close to shore or smaller ponds... Otherwise I have better luck in small backwater areas.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-10, 07:27 AM   #9
rrw4258

A frog has to be one of my favorite baits to fish, and last year me and Cavs found a reservoir a little ways away from here. Anyway this reservoir had little to no vegetation in it at all and the water was very muddy all the time. It was all lined with rip-rap and those fish were hitting a frog like nothing I have ever seen before. I would throw it up on the bank and drag it off to eliminate a splash, give it a couple twitches, and those fish would just come unglued and smash the fire out of it.

Thrown any other topwater at them, spooks, poppers, prop baits, buzzbaits and they wouldnt touch it, but throw that frog at em' and boy howdy was it on!

Speaking of which, I can't wait to get back out there with a big ol stick, braided line and a hookset like no other. It will be a fun summer!

Ryan
Old 04-09-10, 08:09 AM   #10
fishin spro

I throw them in laydowns and next to/across logs alot. Also throw them around piers a little bit...I have had most of my luck in pad fields and on laydowns though.
Old 04-10-10, 10:42 AM   #11
keithdog

I mostly fish frog baits around vegitation or other forms of cover. Especially dense cover. However, they can be affective in more open water when using a walk the dog retrieve such as you would with a spook. I did find out a frog can catch a fish without doing anything at all, lol. I was casting/skipping a Yum buzz frog under low overhanging tree branches on a sunny bank. On one cast my frog skipped up to within a foot of the shoreline, while my reel left me sitting there clearing out a backlash, and a good one at that. It took me at least two minutes to clear up that backlash. Once I got the line back in order I started to retrieve my frog, only to find it had already found it's way into the mouth of a nice 5 pound bass! I had never even twitched that frog. It was just laying on the bottom up near the bank.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-10, 03:36 PM   #12
lilmule

Each frog is a little different some work in open water (spro poppin frog) some do not.
Tossing near vegetation is tops but they work near the bank and around any type of cover(buckbrush).
One that has a wide side wobble works when spooks do,in any of the same places.
Then theres the sinking frogs made in a mold like your worm,can be retireved on top or stop and go under(horney toad,ribbet)
It is a natural bait available to them anytime after the water starts warming say mid fifties,less on a bank in the sun.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.