Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-22-07, 01:05 AM   #1
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Best line type for Soft Plastics

Planning on useing a Quantum Energy Baitcaster on a 6'6 rod. Just curious as to what you guys think is the way to go for line. I do alot of texas rigging but every now and then throw on a carolina rig. Thanks for the info
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 02:44 AM   #2
K-Driz

Send a message via AIM to K-Driz

Depends on how clear the water is and what type of cover you'll be fishing. If the water is pretty clear without a lot of cover like weeds, then you could go with monofilament, copolymer, or flourocarbon line, really, whatever you're most comfortable fishing with. If there's lots of cover like the weeds, then braid works pretty well since it cuts through the weeds better than the other lines. For the carolina rig, flourocarbon and copolymer lines are both more sensitive and stretch less than the mono and stay down better than braid.
K-Driz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 06:53 AM   #3
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

flouro doesn't stretch less than mono.that is a lie put out by the linemakers.i have posted line stretch test results that have proven that wrong.flouro is also not invisible as they claim either.
Old 02-22-07, 08:19 AM   #4
Vabass22
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

But it is less visible.....
I use flouro for weightless plastics, braid for heavy t-rigging+a little c-rigging. Great all around lines are copolymer or mono. If you want your baits to sink faster, flouro, or copolymer. Mono sinks, but slow, and braid sinks verrrrry slow. Braid is definitively the most sensitive, and strongest. Copolymer and flouro, depending on brand and and line size, usually have less stretch than mono, and also less memory. Mono is the most abrasive resistant.
Old 02-22-07, 10:18 AM   #5
mymomisbecky

i use braid in 80% of situations, and on about 80% of my reels. And yes, flouro is MUCH less visible than mono or braid. At the FLW weigh in they had some tests in a tank. The dropped a piece of mono in there and the bass purposefully avoided it, swam around it. Then they put a piece of flourocarbon line in there, and the bass were bumping up against it. I agree its not 100% invisible, but that test alone tells me the bass are much less aware of it being in the water.
Larry Nixon also spoke about how he did this sort of test on his own and got the same results. Most of the guys wont fish anything but flouro anymore.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-07, 10:22 AM   #6
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

wiubassin......it's plain to see here that it's mostly a matter of preference and what you have confidence in.....it's really a trial and error kind of selection i suppose....there are good and not so good lines out there....i say you should select something that you have buddy's that fish it and give it a go....and then try others until you find the one that makes you feel more confident.....good luck fishin bud......
Old 02-22-07, 11:46 PM   #7
Curado

If you're doin alot of t-rigging soft plastics I would use a fluorocarbon line. It has better sensitivity than mono and it's stronger with less stretch. And it's alot less visible than braid.
Old 02-23-07, 01:27 AM   #8
FlyRod

Uncle Fly sez:

I recommend using braid with a fluoro leader (Actual LEADER material, not regular fluoro line. See: P-Line Fluorcarbon Leader) joined with a well-tied J-Knot (See: the DuPont Stren Website for utterly mind-boggling instructions.)
I start with a leader not less than six feet in length, and usually no more than eight feet, so that I can retie several times before having to replace the leader (See: Pain in the...you know) Also, I take one less "pass through" when tying the J-knot. This reduces the bulk of the knot, makes it easier to tie, and has proven to be no less durable.
This combo provides the perfect balance of low stretch, low visibilty, and sensitivity. Also, when you suffer a break-off, due to snagging or hooking something that simply cannot be conquered, you lose only all or part of the leader, in most cases very little since most breaks occur at the knot. The advantage here is that you do not lose any "main" line so you're not faced with having to respool so often (Respool+price of good fluoro= )
I recommend the tiniest drop of a super-type glue be massaged into the J-Knot, BTW.
During these cooler/colder months, the mannerly behavior of braid means better casting, no coiling, no SlinkyToy(TM) effect. Backlashes are more easily cleared and braid does not kink.
(Kink+mono/fluoro=breakoff.)

F.Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 12:21 AM   #9
WIUbassin

Thanks for all of the good info fellas, I do like the idea of the braided line with the flouro leader. Is there a consensus around here as to best flouro? What brand do you guys have on your spool?
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 12:35 AM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I have been using Seguar Carbon Pro for a couple of years and really like it both as a main line and as a leader.
Old 02-24-07, 10:09 AM   #11
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

I have the same set up (Energy on 6'6") and I use braid.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 05:11 PM   #12
Curado

I also use Seaguar and BPS.
Old 02-25-07, 12:07 AM   #13
Vabass22

Seaguar, Gamma, P-line(100%), BPS are all good (moderately priced) flouros. If you are willing to spend the extra dollar, go with Sunline. I mainly use P-line and Gamma.
Old 02-25-07, 02:23 PM   #14
bassnman30

Who really knows what bass see ? Can they actually "see" flourocarbon line, or is it just we can see it ? People and fish see things differently, think about lure colors.
Chartreuse,purple, etc..what gives ?
Doesn't look like any bait fish that I ever saw.
Old 02-26-07, 01:05 PM   #15
skeeter944

i use 17lb berkley vanish transition and i love it. it is very good for soft plastics.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 02:22 PM   #16
mymomisbecky

well , like i mentioned, the bass ran in to the flouro line, they avoided regular mono. thats enough proof for me.
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 08:30 PM   #17
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mono over mono..

zooker
Old 03-06-07, 10:08 PM   #18
commanche

i use TRILENE XL here in pa. for bass..i dont jump around with floros or braids etc..for fishing pig/jig,spinnerbait,carolina rig i use TRILENE XT..

many in our tournaments use new lines but commanc stills does good on the old stand by, trilene, and i always come in high in the weights ..

i see no difference between new lines and trilene on bass..bass are not trout and lines dont seem to bother them ..

here is another one, i spray my lines on trilene spool with silicone spray ,keep them stored in basement which is cool and i am using trilene line from 6 years ago ..its still ok..

dont get all carried away with lines etc..most of time those bass pros are selling on those bass shows and will have you buying when its not needed..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 11:46 PM   #19
hackattack

vicious fluoro is some nasty stuff!!
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.