Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-07, 05:35 PM   #1
texasbasser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser
Default My Yak

Well I havent had much time to work on my 'yak much, but here it is so far... I will probably mount some more scotty rodholders hear the front. Sorry, its pretty dirty I havent washed it off since my last trip yet.

texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-07, 05:43 PM   #2
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Thats 'yaktastic!

Anyways whats up with the ropes going into the rodholders? Dont quite understand that...
Old 09-13-07, 05:44 PM   #3
texasbasser

Well, For now, those are my cheapo rod leashes. So If I dump or forget to set my drag for some reason while trolling, I dont loose my rod/reel.
Old 09-13-07, 05:54 PM   #4
bassfisher02

Haha, trolling in the 'yak. Something bigs gunna hit and instantly send your kayak in the opposite direction.
Old 09-13-07, 05:57 PM   #5
texasbasser

Its done all the time BTB for kings and tarpon and the such. Just gotta set your drag appropriately and hold on, its pretty fun to be dragged around in a yak by a king.
Old 09-14-07, 06:58 PM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default grab life by the horns....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbasser View Post
Its done all the time BTB for kings and tarpon and the such. Just gotta set your drag appropriately and hold on, its pretty fun to be dragged around in a yak by a king.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 08:14 PM   #7
texasbasser

Lmao! Pretty funny JB!

tb
Old 09-14-07, 09:35 PM   #8
lizardsrule

I ran into a guy today who had a depthfinder on his, along with rod holders, net, and cooler. He had the cooler full of beer too. Anyways he can get some places that I can't, even in my skinny shallow draft boat. However I have 2 motors, and he has a paddle rotfl.

Lizards
Old 09-15-07, 03:01 PM   #9
brushhog

JB, that is awesome! Tex - keep us posted on how things go in the new Yak!
Old 09-15-07, 08:23 PM   #10
texasbasser

Lizards- yea, you wont believe all the stuff some guys figure out how to mount on thier yaks... I dont have THAT much confidence in mine yet lol.

Brushhog- thanks, Im going to the coast this next weekend, hopefully I'll have a good report to post up.

tb
Old 09-16-07, 01:41 AM   #11
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

Very nice. i just picked up mine the 3rd week of august and only have been out less then 10 times, one time fishing salt in a local inlet. I haven't rigged it yet, as i am still figuring out where i will want certain things. The other being cash. I will definitely have a fish finder by, on or soon after Christmas and possibly gps at a later date. Depth finder is a necessity for finding fish ie structure.

Kayak fishing is amazing. I am hooked for life now. My only issue is still mastering the art of drifting and fishing at the same time(hard to due with some baits). I find bass fishing much harder from the yak as its more demanding in presentation(soft plastics) rather than inshore fishing where drifting is easier and fishing with live bait or gulp, spoons, cranks, etc doesn't require as precise of placement. Fishing a soft plastic in the wind is a pain, and requires anchoring which is a pain, in order for me to work a section of lily pads or a fallen tree. Even with that issue, its still beats the pants off of fishing from the banks.
sayn3ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 11:35 AM   #12
texasbasser

I have that problem too. What I do is, cruise around the river with a fast moving bait, like a spinnerbait, crankbait etc.. And if I find a good spot that looks promising, I pull over onto the bank and fish it a bit with a slower presentation. I have rigged a anchor on mine, havent tried it out yet... I have a little leak on the right scupper hole that I need to seal first.
Old 09-16-07, 01:48 PM   #13
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default depth finder

i am puzzled why depth finders on on yaks? oh don't worry, i a certified as being crazy by my employer.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 01:50 PM   #14
texasbasser

Why are depth finders on boats?

Same reason...I might get one once I get a waterproof hatch. Hell i know people who have GPS, Radio, Depthfinder, fishfinder, outriggers, EVERYTHING on their kayaks.
Old 09-16-07, 03:28 PM   #15
bassfisher02

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
i am puzzled why depth finders on on yaks? oh don't worry, i a certified as being crazy by my employer.
Has someone been hitting the booze early???

Why not have the same electronics on kayaks?? Just dont be an idiot and flip it, and you'll be fine.
Old 09-16-07, 03:34 PM   #16
JB

maybe a drift sock or a 5 gal bucket over the side would slow your drift, pain in the butt, but they work
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-07, 03:54 PM   #17
texasbasser

My anchor rope is a dog leash that extends to 25'.. worked beautifully today. in 10' of water.

tb
Old 09-16-07, 05:01 PM   #18
bassfisher02

Those retractable dog leash things? Weird.. Thats not going to work so good for you one day when you get snagged. As well, I hope you've attached atleast 2 feet of some kind of chain to the anchor before adding on you make-shift dogleash anchor rope haha. I'd just get some regular anchor rope, makes it easy to pull up plus its good and strong. The chain doesnt have to be heavy, infact I suggest it was fairly light chain, styrong enough so that the links wont break on a snag and light enough for the size of the anchor.
Old 09-16-07, 08:24 PM   #19
texasbasser

Hey, you gotta use your resources Actually, it worked great today and I will probably only use it where I know there is nothing but sand bottom.
Old 09-19-07, 07:52 AM   #20
The Bateman

Default Love the yakking!

Here's my set up. BTW, I troll for bass in it all the time! I've had two on at one time a couple of times. Talk about a Chinese fire drill!!
Old 09-19-07, 08:50 AM   #21
JRL

Nice kayaks!

Heres mine. Used a foam letter "D" from wal mart, and some clear silicone as my transducer mount. My next project is a carbon transom (for windy days).

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/dat...26IMG_2537.jpg
Old 09-19-07, 10:14 AM   #22
brushhog

Great Pictures! Man, you guys are getting me interested in a yak! my canoes are tough to transport and portage by myself.... Hmmm, I think my cousin has Kayaks at his camp that are rarely used! If I can hook up with one, I'll be modeling it after what I've seen here!
Old 09-19-07, 01:02 PM   #23
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

A depth finder is used to find holes, structure, schools of fish, etc etc. We yak fishers fish the same waters as regular boats, so why not? Most of the depth finders are water proof/resistant and will easily handle a flip. Outside of off-shore fishing which is obviously just not for yak fishing(distance), we can fish everywhere else(including BYB), and believe me, although i've only fished salt water once so far, its a necessity to find where the fish are. Freshwater bass fishing is easier in that respect, you just find structure. Fallen trees, pads, muck, ledges, cliffs, etc. But when there is non of that, you need to look for holes, drop offs, etc on the bottom to find the fish, and its easier to do that with a depth finder vs guessing/goggles/etc.

Kayak fishing is just amazing, period. Its environmentally friendly(no gas, no oil, no chemicals on or in the water), its quiet, its healthy for the person paddling, its advantageous because you can fish places conventional boats can't, and its way cheaper than owning and up keeping a power boat(no registration required either).

Not to mention there is just a connection you have to the environment you're fishing in when you're that close to the water, or if you land a big fish and its literally right next to your kayak after it just spent 5 minutes pulling you all over the place.
Old 09-19-07, 05:50 PM   #24
zooker

texas the guys here rig 4 scotty rod holders on there yaks for trollin. these things screw in and you can move them in all kinds of angles the nice thing is the rod is kinda locked into the scotty rod holder. ya have to pull up to get them to release.. you can remove the rod holder and have just a small base when you don't want to troll.

zooker
Old 09-19-07, 10:38 PM   #25
sayn3ver
BassFishin.Com Member

yea, those scotties are nice. And with the flush/mini mounts they are attractive too.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.