Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 07-07-09, 06:08 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Cabelas XML Casting Rods

As was mentioned in a couple previous posts, Cabelas has most of their Fish Eagle XML casting rods on sale in the Bargain Cave section of their website. Normally $139.00 each, many are now being sold for $39.00 and up. One model is only $29.00. Thats a HUGE price savings. Anyways, I had never handled the XML rods and so I was leary about ordering one. But after delaying my decision for several days and reading up on the rods and reading what owners of those rods had to say I decided to take a gamble and buy two. I purchased a 7 foot one piece heavy action model with a fast tip. I also picked up a one piece 6 1/2 foot MH action casting rod. Truthfully I was nervous about whether I had made a mistake. Just in case there are others in this forum who have thought about buying one of these rods but was holding back, I can tell you that you can rest assured, they are well worth the money. I have not had the chance to use them yet as they just arrived a couple hours ago, but after checking them out in my own hands I am very impressed with the weight, action and quality of build. I would feel VERY confident in suggesting this line of rods from Cabelas. If your on the fence as to whether you should buy one, go for it. And the heavy duty travel tube it comes with is really sturdy and made to last for many years.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 11:05 PM   #2
nofearengineer

Ya sold me, Keith. I just bought two more, for a total of three. I still kick myself for not buying the Flippin' Stick before they sold out.
Old 07-08-09, 09:59 AM   #3
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

man those dont look bad at all.....tons of good reviews are always a good sign....and that price is gold!!......I might have to order the pitching rod myself this weekend if i can!
Old 07-08-09, 09:59 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

they do have some good sales going on right now. i just bought a new frog rod off of them. normally 79.99 marked down to 29.99.

7' MH rod. there was a 7'6" rod i considered getting, but thats a mighty big rod for such a little fella to try to cast all day.. lol
Old 07-08-09, 10:10 PM   #5
keithdog

A 7 foot rod is about as long as I want also spro, lol Not very tall here either. I do have a 7 1/2 flippin rod but I prefer the 7 foot rods now.
Old 07-08-09, 10:14 PM   #6
nofearengineer

I'm tall as the day is long, but I can't get anything over 7' in my rod lockers on my boat.
Old 07-08-09, 10:25 PM   #7
fishin spro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
A 7 foot rod is about as long as I want also spro, lol Not very tall here either. I do have a 7 1/2 flippin rod but I prefer the 7 foot rods now.
i hear ya keith...i bought a 7' 3" pitchin rod a while back and it was just a hair to long for me...ended up selling it to a buddy.
Old 07-08-09, 10:30 PM   #8
fishin spro

now i just gotta decide what kind of reel i wanna match it with...unless i find a really good deal on something else i am thinking another revo will fit it nicely. lol
Old 07-09-09, 01:16 AM   #9
islandbass

I saw the deal too. However, I think I am going to go with the $49 mag touches. I just need to decide either the 7' M or MH 2-piece.
Old 07-09-09, 08:43 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I'm tall as the day is long, but I can't get anything over 7' in my rod lockers on my boat.
Dontcha hate that! Your tracker has two rod locker, one 7' (barely) and one 6'6" That means I gotta leave my 7'2" dropshot rod floor of the boat while driving to and from the lake.

IB, I'd go with the one piece rod. That's the one thing I don't like about Cabela's rods is so many of them are two piece, but I guess if you're fitting one in a car, then it's good.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 09:42 AM   #11
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Dontcha hate that! Your tracker has two rod locker, one 7' (barely) and one 6'6" That means I gotta leave my 7'2" dropshot rod floor of the boat while driving to and from the lake.
Yeah. And there is also the matter of the power cables to the trolling motor and night-time lights in the front of the starboard locker. I discovered this when I snapped the top foot off of one of my St. Croix sinning rods.

I really need to put in a tube system. However, I'll have to modify (read: melt) some of the tubes to fit spinning rods and their larger guides.
Old 07-09-09, 06:14 PM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I saw the deal too. However, I think I am going to go with the $49 mag touches. I just need to decide either the 7' M or MH 2-piece.
Lemme know what you think of those! I've been eyeing up a spinning version but didn't know whether or not to try one out.
On the subject of the XML rods, (in my best Cartman voice) sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet............... ........I love the spinning rod I got during the sale
Old 07-09-09, 06:37 PM   #13
islandbass

I hear you BB, but I need a two-piecer for a casting trunk rod.

I also missed the XML party. They are no longer $29.00. I also didn't realize that I have a $25 credit at cabelas. That would have made the rod cost only $4! Wahhh!!!!!
Old 07-09-09, 06:42 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Not all of them were 30, just a couple. And now I'm mad cause they're out of the one I wanted. but I guess that's ok since I don't have the money to spend, even on a 30 dollar rod.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 07:41 PM   #15
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
I hear you BB, but I need a two-piecer for a casting trunk rod.

I also missed the XML party. They are no longer $29.00. I also didn't realize that I have a $25 credit at cabelas. That would have made the rod cost only $4! Wahhh!!!!!
IB, I'll make you feel a little bit better (not a lot, but a little ). There was also shipping, plus an additional $8 per rod for the tube. So it worked out to around $45 per $29 rod.
Old 07-09-09, 08:46 PM   #16
islandbass

Nofear,

I am having it sent to the Cabelas near me. When done this way, they eat the shipping. Yee hah! well, I'll probably be eating the $8 rod tube thingy.
Old 07-09-09, 09:11 PM   #17
nofearengineer

That's awesome, IB!

Unfortunately for me...we have no Cabela's near where I live.
Old 07-09-09, 10:33 PM   #18
TEDLASCALA
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought the XML casting rod for jig/worm at $29. This is my first casting rod so is there any recomandations for a good beginners reel. and can i still cast my senkos and soft plastics weightless because i've heard baitcasters don't cast light lures well. Thanks for the help
TEDLASCALA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-09, 10:39 PM   #19
BigBassin144

For a beginner, I'd spend about 100-150 bucks.

Daiwa Tierra, Daiwa Advantage A, Shimano Citica, Abu Garcia Revo S.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 10:40 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Oh yeah, you should be able to throw normal sized senkos (5-7") fine, but other weightless plastics, you should probably stick with a spinning set-up.

BB
Old 07-09-09, 11:01 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDLASCALA View Post
I just bought the XML casting rod for jig/worm at $29. This is my first casting rod so is there any recomandations for a good beginners reel. and can i still cast my senkos and soft plastics weightless because i've heard baitcasters don't cast light lures well. Thanks for the help

Your going to get a lot of replies about what makes a good beginners casting reel. Here is my advice. Don't go cheap thinking your doing yourself a favor. A cheap poorly designed casting reel will cause a new baitcaster frustration beyong belief. Do yourself a favor and get a decent reel with a good megnetic anti back lash system. That being said, you don't have to rob the bank for this. There are some very good reels out there that are not overly expensive for your first baitcaster. The Bass Pro Shops Extreme reel is a real dandy at only $79.00 and there are many Extreme users in these forums who will verify to their quality. Another excellent reel is the Cabelas Prodegy reel. It sells for $99.00. I bought one and like it so much I now have 3 of them. They are a great reel for the price and easily compares with my more expensive reels when it comes to performance. I easily cast 6 inch lizards with just a 3/16 oz weight with my Prodegy reels.

Last edited by keithdog; 07-10-09 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-09-09, 11:57 PM   #22
nofearengineer

I have a couple Abu-Garcia Silver Max reels that seem to be pretty good. They retail for around $60.
Old 07-10-09, 03:34 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
IB, I'll make you feel a little bit better (not a lot, but a little ). There was also shipping, plus an additional $8 per rod for the tube. So it worked out to around $45 per $29 rod.
How did the extra 8 bucks show up on your bill? I got curious and just went over my invoice and it shows no charge for the tube. Unless it was included in the shipping cost, I wasn't charged for it
Old 07-10-09, 04:39 PM   #24
nofearengineer

It was a "special" shipping and handling charge. It got added into the regular shipping rate.
Old 07-10-09, 06:05 PM   #25
WaffleJaw

Quote:
I have a couple Abu-Garcia Silver Max reels that seem to be pretty good. They retail for around $60.
I like the silver max so much i bought the black max on wed.....Im going set that one up tonight (because i havent told my wife i bought it,and she wont be home).......I have yet to have any issues with the silver max....and for 60 bucks...thats hard to beat for the budget angler.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.