Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-10, 03:10 PM   #1
mike234
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Which Swimbait

I am going to start using swimbaits next spring quite a bit. I already have the rod and reels to use but would like to get some recommendations on which swimbaits to start with like the Rago's, Spro's and etc. Have used some of the soft swimbaits and would like everyone's recommendations on those also.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 03:39 PM   #2
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mike, what area of the country or what lakes do you fish at? What are the water conditions you have most often? Also, the prevalent baitfish makes a big difference to which swim baits work best also. The BB1 is a great bait for lakes with small 3-4 inch baitfish. I use a lot of hollow bodied swim baits and i actually prefer them for most conditions.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 04:24 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with pro reel, I prefer the soft hollow bodies versions. I have been using several the past year and think I like the 5 inch Basstrix swimbaits best. I have the Spro BB1 and so far have had only one hit on it this year. But to be honest, I don't give it the time to prove itself. After throwing it about half an hour I'm switching to something else.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 04:34 PM   #4
mike234

I am in East TN and fish deep clear TVA lakes with threadfin shad, alewives, and blueback herring. The water here is most always clear and see from 6-8 ft deep.

Last edited by mike234; 11-14-10 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Change shad to threadfin shad
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 08:17 PM   #5
keithdog

Well, you could try adding a 1/2-3/4 oz tungsten weight pegged to the nose of your soft swimbait. Cast it out past your target and let it sink to the desired depth and start a slow rythemic retrieve.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 08:54 PM   #6
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats prime swim bait waters. If you know of or can find some points with submerged trees, that would be ideal. Swimming a swim bait right through the tops of submerged trees is a great way to get suspended bass. I like the lucky strike bass magic brand. They are a little cheaper than most and are just as good as any I have tried. The trick with these baits is finding a good hook. I have tried a bunch and i prefer a screw lock hook. I recently found a small mom and pop dealer that started thier own line of hooks. It's called Moaner hooks. They have some of the best swimbait hooks I have found. They also have the best un weighted screw lock hooks for toads or large plastics. I started using the 5/0 screw lock on lasrge craw baits and found that they last a lot longer with these hooks. Check them out for swim bait and other plastic screw locks. As for size of swim baits. I try to match or go one size larger than the average size of the baitfish in the area. I also match the color pattern of the bait.
http://www.moanerhooks.com/
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 08:46 AM   #7
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I so far have only caught fish on smaller swimbaits on jig heads, but do have some bigger strike king shadalicious swim baits. Have not had conditions suitable to a big hollwo body swim bait as the water conditions were all screwed up this year. The action the shadlicious is amazing even at super slow retrieves. The Yum Money Minnows I have on the other hand have NO action unless you burn em...

The only hard swim bait I own is a Strike King Sexy Swimmer. It is awesome. And so much cheaper than most swim baits....
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 10:54 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I haven't used them yet,but I've heard nothing but good about Hudds. You can also go with a hollow belly like the YUM Money minnow. I've also heard lots of good about the RI Skinny Dipper.

As for hard baits, the Spros are my favorites of the couple I've used. I really like the BBZ-1 Shad, and want to pick up a couple of the new Baby Shads, and possibly a BBZ-1 6" for next year.

BB
Old 11-15-10, 10:55 AM   #9
danielbasspro

I Love to throw a YUM money minnow of all sizes, Spro BBZ-1, Strike King King Shad and KingKong swimbaits. My alltime favorite would be Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper.
Old 11-15-10, 12:26 PM   #10
LilJakeC
BassFishin.Com Member

I really like the Lake Fork Tackle Magic Shads for my soft swimbaits. As for hard swimbaits, I like the Spro BBZ-1 and Sebile Magic Swimmer.
Old 11-15-10, 12:56 PM   #11
Bassboss

Love the 4" spros! I caught loads of fish on them when I loved in florida. Once I got nothing under 3 on it, and 1 over five. I like I probably caught about 7 of that day. I was casting on the deeper end of blue gill beds.
Old 11-15-10, 01:09 PM   #12
cassidyta

I throw swimbaits ALOT. I use everything from the 2.5" spros upto the 12" Rago's.
So before I answer the which bait question, I would want to know what rod and reel they are going on.

Since your post says that you have used some of the soft bodied ones, I would suggest going to a hybrid bait like a catch-22. They have great action at all speeds and won't break the bank.
Old 11-22-10, 05:46 AM   #13
boloson

any advice on swimbait rods for 6" hudds & other baits around that size? would like to stay 7' and under if possible. a dual duty salt/ freshwater would be great as i plan on trying the salt for some strippers (first time by the way)
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 01:31 PM   #14
cassidyta

Honestly, I don't like to throw my swimbaits on a rod that small. (I prefer an 8')
I will say that hands down, the best swimbait rod that I have ever used is the dobyns champion swimbait rod. But the small one is 7'9"

I just haven't anything with enough backbone for heavy baits in a shorter size. I have a buddy who swears by the BPS nitro rods for all of his swimbaits. They didn't feel right to me, but they might work for you. Their small rod is 6'10" and is on clearance for $89 right now.
Old 11-27-10, 06:33 PM   #15
Jim80

I love the Keitech swing impacts and swing impact fats , for soft swimbaits .

Jim
Old 11-29-10, 04:26 PM   #16
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Honestly, I don't like to throw my swimbaits on a rod that small. (I prefer an 8')
I will say that hands down, the best swimbait rod that I have ever used is the dobyns champion swimbait rod. But the small one is 7'9"

I just haven't anything with enough backbone for heavy baits in a shorter size. I have a buddy who swears by the BPS nitro rods for all of his swimbaits. They didn't feel right to me, but they might work for you. Their small rod is 6'10" and is on clearance for $89 right now.
took your advice & bought a dobyns 795. some great reviews on it from fishing forum members. thanks again.
Old 11-29-10, 04:28 PM   #17
cassidyta

I can not imagine any situation where you wil be disappinted in that rod.
Old 11-29-10, 10:20 PM   #18
boloson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I can not imagine any situation where you wil be disappinted in that rod.
i wouldnt doubt it. transporting will be hard for me since i drive a camry but i'll manage somehow.

anyone have experience with 3:16 swim baits? expensive as all hell but looks very well build & realistic
Old 12-01-10, 12:36 AM   #19
Minda Lures
BassFishin.Com Member

Any picks for a Baby Bass imitation.
Maybe 5" to 6" - hollow or solid???
Minda Lures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 09:58 AM   #20
lilmule

Have fair amount of rubber swimbaits like mr money,few hard ones just started on those awhile back first was a strike king monster shad afterward several h20 a crappie a bluegill and one thats like a bb1 in american shad.Dont think they all in particular take an extra long rod to toss and those smaller or shorter people in the world a 7 fter can do nicely.
Mine is a 7 ft glass seeker rod custom made for me and does quite well with the smaller swimbaits.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 01:05 PM   #21
cassidyta

The matts lure baby bass is the best one that I have thrown.
The hard baits are pricey $60
http://www.mattlures.com/HardBass.htm

The softbaits work well too for $12 each or 3 for $30.
http://www.mattlures.com/babybass.htm
Old 12-01-10, 01:05 PM   #22
juggernoob
BassFishin.Com Member

What reels are you guys using for the larger swimbaits, ie Rago, Castaic, BBZ-1, and Huddlestons? I have a Quantum Energy PT that I was thinking about using with my Okuma Big Bait rod but I've seen people going with round reels. What's the advantage of a round reel over a low profile BC?
juggernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 01:33 PM   #23
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The only real advantage of a round reel (IMO) is larger line capacity. But I still don't throw swimbaits far enough to spool a LP casting reel, so I stick with those. Anything with 150yds of 12lb test or so should work fine.

BB
Old 12-01-10, 01:38 PM   #24
cassidyta

I use a Shimano Calcutta 400 B.
The biggest advantage for me is the line capacity. I throw most of my big baits on 20 lbs test. This gives me 160 yards of 20 lbs test on a full spool.
Now it is heavy at 11.7 oz, but I am okay with that weight since I am not casting as often as I would with something like a spinnerbait.
Old 12-01-10, 10:38 PM   #25
juggernoob
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The only real advantage of a round reel (IMO) is larger line capacity. But I still don't throw swimbaits far enough to spool a LP casting reel, so I stick with those. Anything with 150yds of 12lb test or so should work fine.

BB
Okay good to know, the Bait Monkey was telling me that I needed a new round reel to do the job.
juggernoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.