Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-26-05, 01:05 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Best Line for Spinning

What is the best line for spinning reels, (iyo) I like stren and trilene XT.
Old 08-26-05, 01:30 PM   #2
Raul

Spinning reels have one drawback, if you spool heavier than specs or thicker than specs the line "jumps" from the spool when you open the bail, if you want to spool abrassion resistant line like XT then you need to downsize in poundage to deter the line from "jumping". My spinning reels are spooled with 10 & 12 pound XL for coverless and weedy lakes I purchased a couple of extra spools and spooled 10 & 12 pound Big Game in them for lakes with woody cover.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-05, 01:52 PM   #3
chuck n
BassFishin.Com Member

I use only Trilene on all my reels Now let me explain why. Back in the late 50's ,yes I said 50's, when tackle was hard to come by for a young school kid, I would go to the local millpond every Saturday morning and gather up any discarded line, hooks and sinkers that I could find. I would use this tackle to catch carp which I sold to the local black people. I would receive 25 cents per fish. I eventually took those quarters and bought me a brand new Garcia Mitchell 300 DL spinning reel. I believe Trilene was a fledgling line co. at that time and they would advertise their line in fishing publications for 25 cents per spool. They made it affordable for me then and so I still buy it today. Brand loyalty at it's best. Logical explanation? problably not but...........
Old 08-26-05, 08:47 PM   #4
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Good explanations especially about the spool and diameter of line. Now being not quite in the 50 years ago mode of my life LOL, I have tried lots of different lines in the last 4 years. I would have break off after break off with every mono I tried. I fish very heavy cover usually, and I could never get a fish over 3 1/2lbs to the boat. I was reccommended to Fireline (which is a FUSED line), which has no line memory(no more line twist type problems), and has absolutely the best vegetation cutting ability of any line including Braided IMO than any other line out there. The 20 lb test is what I buy, and it has 8lb diameter to it. I also buy larger reels(usually the 4000, 400 or some type of 4 series). I have tried braided and flourocarbon also, and nothing compares IMO. Now for those who are big fans of the line visibility issue, just tie on a flourocarbon leader or mono if you like. These are just my opinions of course. Until I just spooled up some Red Cajun, the only mono I have been using is Trilene 12lb. I hate fishing with light/weak line. I've lost to many fish to it, so if I can avoid anything less than 12lbs I do. Now the downside is if you get hung up, it isn't going to break like your mono, so watch what you do. A 1/16 oz lead weight flying off a tree limb at 80,000 mhp still hurts a lot.

Lizards
Old 08-26-05, 09:21 PM   #5
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

cajun red cast or power pro braid.
Old 08-26-05, 09:46 PM   #6
Rebbasser

I've tried a lot of different lines, and like Chuck I keep going back to Trilene XL. Not only is it good line, the company takes care of it's customers. I bought some Iron Silk a couple of years ago-worst line I ever tried-sent it back to Berkley and they replaced it with double the amount of XL at their expense. They have my mono business for life.
Old 08-26-05, 10:08 PM   #7
KH.

i love fireline but when ever iam using plasticks,i use berkley vanish transition

tis stuff rocks
Old 08-26-05, 10:30 PM   #8
Garrison
BassFishin.Com Member

I use Suffix Elite and will never go back to Trilene XL! It is strong, limp, and has excellent abraison resistance. Best line I've ever tried.
Old 08-26-05, 10:53 PM   #9
River stumps
BassFishin.Com Active Member

When fishing heavy cover, I use 20 and 30 Lb spider wire braid. Everything else is Berkley Trilene 12Lb mono XL.
River stumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 12:28 AM   #10
H2O

cajun red cast or spiderwire STEALTH!
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-05, 11:36 AM   #11
Curado

My favorite line for a spinning reel is 8lb. XPS fluorocarbon. It works great for what I use my spinning reels for mostly.
Old 08-28-05, 12:32 PM   #12
KH.

10 lb berkley vanish transition,youll be glad you did
and stren has way to much stretch if your talking about monofilament
Old 08-28-05, 02:06 PM   #13
haynesn12
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to haynesn12

fireline or either of the suffix lines. cause suffix is the best mono out
Old 08-29-05, 02:14 PM   #14
tko
BassFishin.Com Member

Yo-Zuri Hybrid "Soft Formula".. I use 4# which has a breaking strenght of about 6.5#. It is very small diameter, has the qualities of Floro in the sense of being pretty abraision resistance, very little stretch so it is very sensitive and also as very little memory issues.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-05, 10:39 PM   #15
the mud man
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah i use cabelas co polymer and its just as good as stren or berkley
Old 08-31-05, 06:29 AM   #16
1FASTLASER

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Been there done that Lizards. One question though how did you arrive at that speed. I actually thought they flew a little faster. But I gotta tella I dont think if it was faster or even slower it still wouldnt hurt anyless. Been nailed with worm weights,jigs etc..etc.. and literally knocked off my pedestal. Even got a scare right between my eyes from a 1/4oz bullet weight. Makes for some interesting discussions. LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-05, 07:42 AM   #17
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! Been there done that Lizards. One question though how did you arrive at that speed. I actually thought they flew a little faster. But
I just guesstimated by the impact, and how hard I had to yank to get it flying my way You may be right, it might have been faster LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curado
My favorite line for a spinning reel is 8lb. XPS fluorocarbon. It works great for what I use my spinning reels for mostly.
Very good point here. Use what line is best suited for the application you are using it for. If you are strictly drop shotting it, then smaller line is porbably more prevalent. If you are fishing a t-rig un heavy cover, need some umph to the line.

Lizards
Old 09-01-05, 01:05 AM   #18
islandbass

For me if I'm using:

Mono: Spiderwire EZ cast or XXX (10#) or Izorline 20# (salmon fishing for the last line)
To me, SW's mono resists memory longer than Stren, or Trilene. Other than that, stren or trilene are okay but SW EZ cast has them beat on price for performance. Never lost a fish on SW EZ cast.

Braid: SW Stealth or Power Pro. Both are great but the slight edge I give to power pro, 30# test. It seems "rounder" to me. Never a problem of line dig or pole wrap if you know the tricks.

Co-Polymer Lines: P-Line CX Fluorocarbon coated line 10#. I use it for the finesse stuff and drop shotting. This is great line but wish it were a bit more abrasion resistant. Gonna nail some river steelhead with this line as a leader with power pro or izorline backing.
Old 09-01-05, 11:34 AM   #19
angelus40

i used stren looonngggg ago then switched to berkley still with them today
will not change to any other
angelus40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.