Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 04-27-10, 09:59 PM   #1
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Title and registation transfer help

Guy's I seek your help again,
I'm looking into buying a boat from Tennessee, I'm from Texas, I was told by owner that Tennessee does not require title on boats, has anyone had to deal with this issue? Is it a real pain in the A$$ to resolve? I also know that I need a bill of sale, and notary. This is all new to me, so any other advice or help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited by JimmyDon; 04-27-10 at 10:12 PM.
JimmyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 11:26 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jimmy, I don't know you need a title for a boat in Texas, just for the trailer since it has to have a license tag. My boat is registered in Texas and the only title I have is for the trailer, and I've had it for several years. You might check with the local tax office and find out what you need.
Old 04-27-10, 11:40 PM   #3
justabassn
BassFishin.Com Member

live in tn here,,just bought a boat from private owner,,,all they require is a bill of sale,,,just go to the registration dept in your area,,they will make you fill out some paperwork,,,they will take original bill of sale,,and give you a copy,,then you will need to register it for 1/2/3 years depending on what you want to spend,,,,then they will give you a temp registration form to keep with you,,until you mail form into TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency),,,then they will send you a license in mail soon after.
justabassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-10, 07:02 AM   #4
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

the only reason u have to have a title on a boat is so if u owe money on it the bank can prove u owe them money, i just bought a boat and refused the title at the sec of state and all u do is sign a title refusal form and get ur registration, i live in MI so i think it saved me 45 or 50
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 08:32 AM   #5
bobbyb
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What is the Real Meaning of Clear Title....

My 1st post and I'm resurrecting an old thread - but before I get into some questions I want to say how much I have enjoyed reading many, many posts and am happy I made the right choice in joining this Forum.

So here come the Newbie Questions:
I want to buy a used Bass Boat from a private owner. He says he has title to both boat and trailer - (I think in Texas you also need title to the motor...no (??) not sure) - anyhow how do I know that that boat is not liened to say Bank of America or Chase or whomever. Last thing I need is to lay out 4 or 5 thousand and have a Bank come a knockin on my door.

What is the "best" procedure for a Newbie entering into the world of buying a used boat and trailer from a private source?

bobbyb
"convert from the world of walleye"
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:32 AM   #6
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

should be teh same as a car... the bank will have to sign a lien release form to teh state or the state will have a lien on file for that particular boat based on resistration number and serial number / VIN... at least in the state of kentucky, until the lien is cleared you have to have a tiltle for boat boat and outboard, but pay only one registration fee every year on the two... and thank God i live in Ky where we dont register or license trailers...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 09:46 AM   #7
bobbyb
BassFishin.Com Member

Thxs for comin back to me.
So what your saying is - ugh I hate to use the word Goverment - if there are no liens against that boat/motor I'm good to go.

So a buyer should ask/demand, whatever that the $$$$ going to the seller for the boat should be passed at the title office and if the seller doesn't want to take the trip to the County C House then it may be a good idea to walk away - correct (??). (He knows something that you don't....lol)

ps: I do like the way Ky handles the trailer issue by the way,

bobby
Old 08-20-10, 11:07 AM   #8
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here in Ky when yo ugo to the county clerk to transfer the boat to a new owner... just like a car.. the clerk will not process it without the lien release from teh bank... period... now again if the boat is paid off there is not title to transfer...you simply take a bill of sale in and get registration for teh boat... now... this is where i dont know how your state does it... if there is a lien and tehy dont do boat titles at all... i dont know how they would track teh liens...

your best bet is to contact yoru local county clerk or whoever collects your registration taxes yearly...
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-10, 11:52 AM   #9
bobbyb
BassFishin.Com Member

That's probably the smart move if your buyin in another State - call the County 1st to find out what there guidlines are, and whats required of the seller.
My brother almost had a problem in Tuscon AZ - Good News - the clerk refused to give the seller the transfer paper to my brother (they were both together), so that ended that deal. No reason why - just sorry can't help you out - (privacy laws I guess with my brother standin there). Lot's of States are different.

Gotta be careful nowadays,

bobby
Old 08-20-10, 01:20 PM   #10
bobbyb
BassFishin.Com Member

I've been researching for a week now; (looking at various boat offerings within a couple hundred miles from me) just found this interesting article:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/...g_license.html

here's the article (hope this okay with mod's)

Pitfalls When Buying Used Boats

The transfer of boats and motors appears to be getting sloppier, with more and more people not getting titles, some sellers altering sale prices on transfer documents to avoid higher taxes and others who are inadvertently purchasing stolen crafts. So game wardens want to advise people to treat the buying or selling of a boat like they would that of an automobile.
"We see people buying boats at garage sales and receiving no paperwork and wanting to transfer it to their name," said TPWD game warden Tony Norton of Henderson County. "You wouldn't buy a car without getting the title."
If the seller doesn't have a title but has proof of boat ownership, they can request a duplicate title and then transfer it over to the buyer. The penalty for not transferring a title is a fine of as much as $500. And without a title, the boat can't be registered.

It could be worse.

"What if somebody steals it? They have to come up with proof they own the boat and a lot of them can't," said a member of TPWD's Marine Theft Unit.
Another common mistake is getting a title but not completing the boat transfer and motor transfer forms correctly. The forms can be obtained at any department of wildlife or department of licensing office or often online. Some states require a separate transfer form be filled out for the outboard motor title. There is a civil tax penalty and a fine for not registering and paying the sales tax on the boat and outboard motor within 20 days of purchase.
Since some boat registrations are good for as much as two years, some people may have boats for as long as 18 months before they try to register the boat in their name and by then, it may be impossible to track down the previous owner and get a bill of sale to prove it was a legitimate transaction.
Most people don't worry about it until the registration expires. Then they realize what a mess it is.
Another common violation is people selling boats without endorsing the title in the first place. They thereby skip paying taxes on the boat -another violation punishable by a fine of as much as $500.
Norton says he also sees changes made in the tax affidavit sections on transfer forms, (title applications). "They change the price of the boat so they don't have to pay as much tax."
Title applications are government documents and falsifying information or altering them for financial gain is a felony.
"Because people see boats as toys, they don't put as much importance on the titling process as they do with cars," said a TPWD marine official. "People don't realize that when they alter documents to save a couple hundred bucks, and those documents are presented to us and processed a felony has been committed," he said. And that violation is punishable by as much as 2-20 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine.
Old 08-24-10, 03:10 PM   #11
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Some states do not require titles on boats or trailers under a certain size. Move it across states lines where it is required and that causes some confusion...

In most cases as long as you have the minimum required from the state you bought it out of, in this case TN that just requires bill of sale and notary, then Texas should be able to register the boat, and possibly file a new title based on the information given.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 02:16 PM   #12
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDon View Post
Guy's I seek your help again,
I'm looking into buying a boat from Tennessee, I'm from Texas, I was told by owner that Tennessee does not require title on boats, has anyone had to deal with this issue? Is it a real pain in the A$$ to resolve? I also know that I need a bill of sale, and notary. This is all new to me, so any other advice or help would greatly be appreciated.
Call Texas Parks and Wildlife. They will tell you which forms that MUST be filled out. Should be at least 3. One for boat (PWD 143), one for motor (PWD 144) and maybe and "affidavit of fact" (PWD 314) for each. They will also have a form for "pencil tracings" of serial numbers on tha boat and motor. Sometimes tha States boat and/or motor "registration" certificate can replace one or more of tha forms. Just be sure ya get it all right cause TP&W are really picky 'bout dotted "i's" and crossed "t"'s............
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.