Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-02-10, 08:41 PM   #1
BigBurlyBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What battery to buy???

I need to get a Trolling Motor Battery for a canoe. I am looking to spend 100 or less. How big of one should i get? anyone have any preferences on brands and size for a for a canoe?
BigBurlyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 10:33 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I use a 27 class battery for a 12 foot jonboat. I'm sure you wouldn't need any more than that. Plus it's not that heavy. Not sure what brand to tell you to get. I have the AGM battery and it's expensive. But I'd be looking into the Delco battery Sears sells. Or maybe the Intersate. No idea of their prices though. Wally World sells marine batteries and they are fairly priced. I had one, but it started leaking acid into my boat, so I replaced it with the AGM. Of course the warrenty had expired two months previously.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 11:06 PM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you can afford it I would go with the AGM. I've used my Cabela's AGMs A LOT and have had no trouble. I also got a DieHard AGM this year for cranking and it has been perfect so far too. Not leaks or anything to worry about.
Other than that with batteries bigger is usually better. Especially if weight isn't too big of an issue for you. I wouldn't want to have to carry a battery very far.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 05:01 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i say get the BEST oyu cna afford. not what you "think" is ok. if it were me and i could wait till i got the extra money, i would get an OPTIMAX jell battery.
Old 09-03-10, 09:13 PM   #5
Abbeysdad

AGM is best, but will likely be more than yer $100 bill. I have a wally world big max in it's 2nd season and going strong and in your price range.
Now having 'saif' the above, this one comes close although sipping might be a killer:
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...:referralID=NA

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 09-03-10 at 09:30 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-10, 12:09 AM   #6
BassBandit

I'm happy with my Everstart Maxx 27 from wallyworld. They're cheaper and still running strong as long you charge em after your done for the day. I have 3 of them going on 2nd year now. 1 for starting and 2 for trolling (24 volt)
Old 09-04-10, 03:02 PM   #7
BigBurlyBass

Thanks everyone. How about DieHard batteries are they good? OH! and has any one ever bought Duracell marine batteries?
Old 09-05-10, 11:46 AM   #8
Bender

Abbeysdad, the Cabela's ones you linked to are what I have. I got the Group 27 because the bigger ones are too heavy, 84# each! That Group 24 look like a great deal at $139 on sale. The salesman at Cabela's said that they use the same technology as the Optima's but are much cheaper. I've put a beating on mine and they are holding up really well. I think I've had them for over 2 1/2 years now and have put A LOT of time on them. I also really like the fact there is no maintenance and no spills.

BigBurlyBass, I'm not sure about all of the DieHards but the Marine Platinum I have been using this year is holding up very well but it was quite expensive. There wasn't a Cabela's near me or I would have got another one of those.

I've also heard nothing but good things about Deka batteries. I think there is a dealer up in Sterling Heights.

Last edited by Bender; 09-05-10 at 11:54 AM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 08:03 AM   #9
andyfender
BassFishin.Com Member

Wallmart 29grp 85 bucks.........
andyfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 12:52 PM   #10
BigBurlyBass

So it would be worth it to buy a EverStart Maxx from Wal-mart.
Old 09-06-10, 02:24 PM   #11
bassfisher

My wife uses wheel chair battery for her 8' boat she has for creeks. Very small and very lite, and packs a great charge to troll all day. Brand, you got me.

Yes walmart are good enough, I've never had a problem with them for over 5 years now.
bassfisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.