Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-28-05, 11:19 AM   #1
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to GotBass
Default huge bass won't bite!

I'm sure she will, but i just can find out WHAT she'll bite. the water is GIN clear. It is a 30 acre pond/lake. I can see bottom in the deepest parts (25-40 feet depending on exact location). weedy bottom all the way down there, with some breaks that appear to be sandy bottom. Was an old rock quarry, steep drops in places, and lots of cat tails on the banks. I saw a MASSIVE bass yesterday, and i threw EVERYTHING at her. Water temp is about mid 60s to low 70s at about 7-10 feet. There are a ton of bluegill and perch in the pond, along with largemouth and smallmouth bass, and even some trout. no minnows or shad (the owner does not want them to disrupt the balance). There are some crayfish in there along the rocky shorelines.

I tried:

jig & trailers
t-rigs (large and small)
c-rigs (large and small)
weightless rigs
cranks
spinnerbaits (5 or 6 different colors and sizes)
spinners
buzzbaits (same as spinerbaits)
topwaters (poppers, prop baits, and cigar type)
hair jigs
nightcrawlers and crayfish

everytime something dropped in front of her, no matter how slowly or how easily it entered the water, she just turned around and looked the other way.

i'm stumped. Bass 1, Rob 0
my grampa said "well, maybe she's just not a hungry critter"

if anyone has a miracle lure, let me borrow it?? ;D

it was not a total loss though, with all the things i tried, i got plenty of 1s and 2s.

Good Fishin
Rob
Old 06-28-05, 02:47 PM   #2
fishwitch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishwitch
Default Re: huge bass won't bite!

ifu can see them they can see you and a big ole fish is smart light lines and subtle presentations clear clear line
fishwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 02:54 PM   #3
FishinMommy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FishinMommy

Get some Fluorocarbon line or some 4lb test and say your prayers. Use live bait maybe.
FishinMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 03:37 PM   #4
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to hershey

Get a small aberdeen hook 8lb test mono and put a nightcrawler on it. Im suprised it ddint hit the nightcrawler, if the bream and perch didnt get to it first, I would use nightcrawlers all the time, bass usaully cant resist.
hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 04:00 PM   #5
notabassmaster
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to notabassmaster

Umm yeah-I definitely wouldn't recommend the "night crawler" the previous post mentioned.

In clear water I always have luck with super clear line, natural bait colors, and a C-rig with the longest leader you can possibly get away with. You may also want to try a black jitterbug at night. Also, try that pond when the wind is blowing a little, that helps level the clear water playing field a little. Good luck, and tight lines.
notabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-05, 04:43 PM   #6
keeb
BassFishin.Com Member

make sure its a bass somtimes when the sun is right carp can look simular to bass.
Old 06-28-05, 06:15 PM   #7
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

yea, it was a bass. there aren't any carp in there. and i was using all spinning gear (finesse in such clear water). and the line was 6 pound test. i think it's just one of them bas that'll never hit ne thing. i mean... the thing was about 7 pounds EASILY... HUGE HUGE fish for New York. Prolly wise WAY beyond her years.

anyway, went back to the pond today and got a bunch of 1s and 2s using a wacky rigged gulp sinking minnow. They were just atacking it on that light line. i'll have a pic up soon of the biggest one i caught.

tight lines
Rob
Old 06-29-05, 07:25 AM   #8
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

Use A Lizard, weightless. If that doesn't work, catch a baitfish, and throw that out there. If that doesn't work, come back later and try again Timing is everything.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 01:02 PM   #9
NorthNJangler
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to NorthNJangler

Id say catch a bluegill and use that for bait.
NorthNJangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 03:41 PM   #10
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=NCBUXNDUX link=board=MessBoards;num=1119968355;start=0#4 date=06/28/05 at 15:00:50]Umm yeah-I definitely wouldn't recommend the "night crawler" the previous post mentioned.

In clear water I always have luck with super clear line, natural bait colors, and a C-rig with the longest leader you can possibly get away with. You may also want to try a black jitterbug at night. Also, try that pond when the wind is blowing a little, that helps level the clear water playing field a little. Good luck, and tight lines.[/quote]

Why not? Nightcrawlers that I use are usaully 7+ inches, and in some ponds around here its the only thing theyll hit. Ive been in the same situtaion as him except with smaller bass. I threw everyhting and they didnt hit but when I threw a nightcrawler out there I caught 5 Â*fish, one of them 5 pounds. In those sitations, live bait is usually the only thing that works.
Old 06-29-05, 08:31 PM   #11
GotBass
BassFishin.Com Member

great news... i tried a night crawler... rigged it up all different ways. then finally, on 2 pound line, absolutely weightless with a #6 eagle claw hook, the thing LUNGED at the bait. scared the hell outa me, i set the hook and i guess i set it too hard (i was excited)... 2 pound line broke :-[ :-[... tried again, but the thing had swam off into the abyss :'(

i'll git'r done next time
Old 06-29-05, 08:45 PM   #12
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

[quote author=lizardsrule link=board=MessBoards;num=1119968355;start=0#7 date=06/29/05 at 06:25:32]Use A Lizard, weightless. Â*If that doesn't work, catch a baitfish, and throw that out there. Â*If that doesn't work, come back later and try again Â*Timing is everything.

Lizards[/quote]

I agree, use the lizard!
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 08:53 PM   #13
Tm_Customs

Try drop shotting it alows you to keep the bait in one spot for a long time use a 4-6" stright worm. Â*Dont listen to powerbass he has only cought one fish on a lizard.
Old 06-29-05, 08:57 PM   #14
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52

Normally, I would say use a senko, I have caught 50 plus fish probably on a senko. Buy the 4 inch version, the fives are to big IMO.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-05, 09:00 PM   #15
Tm_Customs

I have fished in NJ and cought 5" bass on 6" senkos you wont catch a bigger average fish w/ out moving up your bait size unless you finesse or sight fishing. A good rule of thumb is catch a better average w/ a bigger bait!
Old 06-30-05, 12:42 AM   #16
hershey
BassFishin.Com Member

[quote author=Rob Mak link=board=MessBoards;num=1119968355;start=0#10 date=06/29/05 at 19:31:16]great news... i tried a night crawler... rigged it up all different ways. Â*then finally, on 2 pound line, absolutely weightless with a #6 eagle claw hook, the thing LUNGED at the bait. Â*scared the hell outa me, i set the hook and i guess i set it too hard (i was excited)... 2 pound line broke Â*:-[ :-[... tried again, but the thing had swam off into the abyss Â*:'(

i'll git'r done next time[/quote]

Yes !! Nightcrawlers prevail again!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.