Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-09, 11:55 AM   #1
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy
Default new technique for us

i know alot of you guys are high believers of the dropshots. myself and wags just couldnt bring ourselves to take part in it. this year we have joined the NBAA and have fished 2 tourneys thus far. 1 limit lacking weight, and 2nd lacking fish, only one keeper on a brutal day. listening to some other anglers talk afterwards, we kept hearing dropshotting. so, not to waste anymore turneys, we decided to try it. for about the last week we have only been doing that, and with surprising success, its not as difficult as i thought it would be.

so heres my request: does anyone have any words of wisdom for us. how far between weight and hook. what type of creature to attach. anything would be great help, planning on going tomorrow to prefish our next tourney site, and want to see how it works there.

thanks, ken
Old 07-03-09, 03:06 PM   #2
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Weight.- the smallest you can get away with and still maintaig contact with the bottom.

Hook.- the largest you can get away with that doesn´t snag every time you lower and lift the bait

Bait.- whatever tickles your fancy, in practical terms, any soft plastic bait can be used for a dropshot rig.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 03:23 PM   #3
Jim80

^^^^ what he said . The only thing I will add is the gulp 3 and 4 inch minnows are killer drop shot baits .

Jim
Old 07-03-09, 04:10 PM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hook.. 1/0 octopus hook/wacky worm hook, the weight should be under 1/4oz. I read that you can use a brass bullet weight and glass bead, when you twitch the rod tip, you et a clack, clack like you would with a C-rig. I like to use robo worms. I also like Gulp worms, you can also wacky rig the plastic on there! Works good!

Check out Kevin's video for some GREAT info! http://www.bassfishin.com/fishing-vi...-shot-fishing/
Old 07-03-09, 10:12 PM   #5
Bender

I had to make myself put the dropshot away for a while since that's all I have been using.
95% of the time I use a 1/8 oz. and when it is deep or very windy I'll jump up to 1/4 oz. For the hooks I like the Gammy Split shot/drop shot #2 hooks but the ones I have been using most recently are Lazer Sharps Wide Bend Size 8.

Last edited by Bender; 07-03-09 at 10:40 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 10:53 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I love fishing the dropshot.

Hook - I use the Gammy splitshot/dropshot or the Owner Dropshot to t-rig in light cover.

Weight - again, I agree with bender, I normally use 1/8 but will jump to 1/4 in lots of wind. Sometimes we'll up it to 1/2 in strong current or if it's so windy that we shouldn't even be out.

Leader length - (from hook to sinker) I use anywhere from 10-20" You want you're bait about 10-14" off the bottom, so if you're fishing on a slope, you're gonna want to adjust for the angle by making the leader longer. Use special dropshot weights w/ the clips so you can easily change the length w/o retying.

baits - Just about anything you want, but I like PowerBait hand pour worms, can't go wrong with a robo worm, Zoom swamp crawler, Powerbait (or gulp) shakey worm, any goby (I like the Zoom fluketail goby for DS'ing), and one of my new favorites, Chomper's 4" DS worm. These things just ooze garlic smell and they'll keep smelling even after fishing it all day. But remember, bait wise, the sky (or the bottom of the lake, lol) is the limit!

BB
Old 07-04-09, 02:32 AM   #7
weezymagic
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

sorry to trample but this is so i dont waste a thread...

whats the best way to attach a tungsten dropshot weight. i would think tie with a palomar but someone had told me just slide the line through the eye and pull it up and there will be no problems with the line slipping out
Old 07-04-09, 04:10 AM   #8
islandbass

The distance from the weight to the bait is something that you have to experiment with. It could also be influenced by whether you are fishing more vertically like from a boat or if it's being worked more horizontally as you might with a long cast from the shore.

I fair place to start is about 12-18" for me from the shore, but I have used a closer distance.

Wind can definitely play a role. Just yesterday I was fishing super blustery conditions from the shore with about 1/8 oz, which is what I start out with usually. Made my cast and before my bait hit the bottom, my rig drifted about 40 because of the wind. I had to bulk up to nearly 1/2 weight just to battle the wind. Yowza!
Old 07-04-09, 07:54 AM   #9
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
whats the best way to attach a tungsten dropshot weight. i would think tie with a palomar but someone had told me just slide the line through the eye and pull it up and there will be no problems with the line slipping out
I don't use them since I go through a lot of weights, but you can either tie an overhand knot in the end of the line before you slide it into the pinch swivel or like you said, tie a knot right to the swivel on the weight.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-09, 09:47 AM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezymagic View Post
sorry to trample but this is so i dont waste a thread...

I wouldn't tie directly to it, since that defeats the purpose of the specialized ds weights. You can, like Bender said, tie an overhand knot in the line and then pull the knot up the the line clip. But I pull the line up into the clip without a knot. I never have any problems with slipping and they come out easily when it gets snagged.

BB
Old 07-04-09, 10:22 AM   #11
swimbaitkid

Use a a leader as long as the worm or shorter, thats the only way to go bc you want the worm in the fishs face not them looking up at it.Unless there is weeds then go as long as u need
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-09, 01:38 AM   #12
weezymagic

Send a message via AIM to weezymagic

ok. tried it out and i was using mono because i need more fluro but anytime i would pull the line up on the weight clip, it would snap the line. so i just tied a knot. did i pull to hard or what?
Old 07-07-09, 07:36 AM   #13
Mac2

Sometimes the dropshot clip cuts through the line instead of letting it slide through for the release.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-09, 06:01 PM   #14
JerseyFisher

look at the thread "my first attempt with a drop shot" and go to the article posted by Mac2 its very helpful.
JerseyFisher is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.