Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-09-12, 08:31 PM   #1
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Your Opinion On a New Crankbait Rod and Reel

I'm looking to get a rod and reel combo for crankbaits and spinnerbaits. I use mainly shallow running cranks but do once in awhile throw one that runs deeper. The same goes for spinners. I'm looking for your opinions on the set-up I'm looking at now and am open to other suggestions. The rod I'm looking at now is the Powell Max Glass Crankbait. It's a 7' MH MF action. Would this work well for what I'm looking to use it for? What's everyone's opinion on glass rods for a crankbait set-up? I don't want to spend much more than that price range because I don't think it's needed for the reaction type strike I'll get. The reel I'm looking at now is the Daiwa Exceler Crankbait. I'd usually spend a little more on the reel but I use a left hand retrieve and am having a hard time finding one with a lower gear ratio. Maybe a little higher gear ratio would be better for small cranks and spinners? I'm really open to other suggestions on the reel if anyone has any that would work well for what I'm going to be doing.
Dylanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 09:59 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Powell make some great rods, so you can't go wrong. I'm also a big fan of Dobyns, but their crankbait rods are a step up in price from Powell's. The 7' MH MF will make a good general purpose cranking rod.

As for the reel, I fish mostly Daiwa reels myself, including a Zillion 4.9:1 (I have a set of 7.1:1 gears that are currently in it though). But for a budget crankbait reel, I bought a Pro Qualifier in the 5.X:1 from a friend and it is a great little reel for the price. Especially when BPS runs sales on them (which is often). I think I'd go with that over the Exceler although I don't have any personal experience with an Exceler. If you can swing the higher price tag, the Zillion CC (Crazy Cranker, 4.9:1) is a great reel as is the Revo Winch which you can probably find for a good price on eBay.

Recommending a rod for spinnerbaits is one of the harder tasks as there really is no general specs to look in as with say a jig rod. I've seen people use anything from a 6' rod up to 7'3" and from a M power to H and from M action to XF. Personally, I like something around 7'3" MH F. I use a Dobyns 733C. Again, for less money Powell has a similarly spec'd rod. I like at least a 6.3:1 reel though and will go up to 7.1:1

BB
Old 05-09-12, 10:23 PM   #3
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Those powell glass rods are definitely nice. I don't personally have one, but my fishing partner does and loves it. I use a Revo winch for my crankin duties and have zero complaints. Holds a bit more line for those extra long casts and has the garcia drag system. They are pricey, but I got mine on sale and it was worth every penny.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 11:45 PM   #4
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

I've got a 7' MH F Dobyns Savvy I use as an all purpose rod right now so I can use that for spinners and then have a dedicated crankbait rod. I looked at the Dobyn's Champion but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for a crankbait rod. I like both the Zillion and Revo Winch. The Zillion is a little more than I want to spend but the Winch price I'm ok with. I've read a lot of good things about it but ruled it out because I couldn't find it in LH retrieve on Tackle Warehouse. I see it on Bass Pro now and Ebay so that's the way I'm leaning. Would there be a big difference between that and the Zillion? Also are you guys using glass rods for crankbaits? I haven't actually used one so is there a real advantage to them?
Old 05-10-12, 02:41 AM   #5
ZHerman330
BassFishin.Com Member

Some people like them for there sensitivity and the fact that it is softer and less likely to pull out the hooks, but still has some decent backbone. I fish a crucial 7' M Mod./Fast. It is a decent all around crankin' rod. Not the best, but I got it on sale and can't complain. Keep checking the revo winch on TW, they do have LH models at times. Can't speak to any difference between the zillion and the winch, as I have never fished a zillion. Like I said before, zero complaints with the winch.
ZHerman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-12, 11:12 AM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Cranks and spinner baits aren't two I would throw on the same combo, especially Mid-deep cranks. For them, the Lamiglass SR705 is hard to beat. For deep cranking a Revo Winch is a good choice as is Curado/Chronarch E5 or Daiwa Crazy Cranker. My choice is an Ambassadeuer 4600C3 spooled with 10# smoke mono.

For spinner baits I like a Med or MH fast action. 7' for long casts covering water and 6' for in close target casting.

If you need a dual purpose setup, I'd throw shallow cranks on the spinnerbait rig before throwing spinnerbaits on the glass rod.
Old 05-10-12, 12:45 PM   #7
Dylanl
BassFishin.Com Member

Like I said I've got a 7' MH F Dobyns Savvy with a Shimano 6.5:1 reel so I think I'll just keep throwing my spinnerbaits on that. For a strictly crankbait rod then I'm thinking the Powell Max Glass 7' MH MF. Now for the reel. The two I'm between are the Revo Winch or the Shimano Chronarch 200E. Same price, so would one give me any performance upgrade over the other? For mainly shallow cranks with a deeper diver once in awhile would I be better off sticking with a lower gear ratio(5:1 area) like I was originally thinking or going a little higher(6:1 area)?
Old 05-10-12, 09:43 PM   #8
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
I've got a 7' MH F Dobyns Savvy I use as an all purpose rod right now so I can use that for spinners and then have a dedicated crankbait rod. I looked at the Dobyn's Champion but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money for a crankbait rod. I like both the Zillion and Revo Winch. The Zillion is a little more than I want to spend but the Winch price I'm ok with. I've read a lot of good things about it but ruled it out because I couldn't find it in LH retrieve on Tackle Warehouse. I see it on Bass Pro now and Ebay so that's the way I'm leaning. Would there be a big difference between that and the Zillion?
I've fished both the Winch and Zillion (as a 4.9:1), but not much. They are comparable and I would probably go with the Winch as well given Daiwa's last price hikes. I think the Winch will handle a wider range of lures as I find it handles the lighter lures (like 1/4oz) slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Zillion and it would make a great heavy crank/deep crank reel. I just don't think it is the best option for light cranks. (It works great for jigs with the 7.1:1 gear I've got in mine too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanl View Post
Also are you guys using glass rods for crankbaits? I haven't actually used one so is there a real advantage to them?
I have a Dobyns 765CB GLASS and love the rod. It's mostly used for heavy shallow cranks as well as deep and lipless crankbaits. Dobyns Glass rods are actually composite, with a graphite butt section and fiberglass tip. It is decently sensitive for a crankbait rod, but not so much as a graphite one.

I also have a 7' M M custom graphite CB rod I use for light cranks (mainly 1/4oz Bandits). It is also a nice rod and noticeably more sensitive. However, either will work as graphite can now be made to have a nice moderate action that you used to only be able to get out of glass.

BB
Old 05-11-12, 09:12 AM   #9
crazyju
BassFishin.Com Member

I picked up the dobyns 7'11 cranking stick. I have it paired with a curado e5. I threw a dd22 for 4 hours straight last night. Never would have made it that long without.
crazyju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-12, 09:29 AM   #10
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own one crankbait specific rod a 7 ft bass pro,love it,can toss dd22 now and not feel im dragging half the lake in.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.