Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-03-12, 12:56 AM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Someone stole my kayak the other night

Its really not that big of a deal, but since I am full procrastination mode, thought I would say something about it.

The thing is, I'm not really that mad or upset. I paid $130 for it off craigslist, and was ready to move up. It had been in the back of my truck for 2 years without being disturbed, and gets jacked in a fairly nice neighborhood. Perhaps the criminals in Montgomery are too smart for such idiocy.

They even left the paddle in the bed of the truck. And about $800 worth of combos were in the corner of the garage. They could have cleaned me out. Real shoddy thievery.

And the kayak is about the most easily recognized/heavily customized peice of equipment I owned, so I am a little amazed at the stupidity of the thiefs; was it really worth the risk that I didn't come out the house at the wrong moment? What if I see them on the river, after all, the rudder is pretty noticeable? Its not like they will get much if they try to sell it, the yak is terribly worn out.

As much as I will miss the kayak, I would like my multitool, led flashlight and anchor back. And my creel. That hurts just about as much as the yak, cause at least the yak I was already budgetting to replace. Actually, I have an inflatable yak that is as cheap as you can get, but I was planning on using for the summer anyway as it allows me to drive a small car and get better mileage.
Old 05-03-12, 12:59 AM   #2
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

Idiots!! SMH! Sorry to hear that man!
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 01:03 AM   #3
WTL

Like I said, I will be alright. Thats one reason I don't spend too much on gear; **** always happens. At least when it does, this way I can still shrug and go fishing.
Old 05-03-12, 03:31 AM   #4
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thievery SUX!
That's all I can say.
Ok, I got more.
THIEVES SUCK!
Ok, more.
People who buy stolen property are the true criminal! Without them thief would be profitless!
No gain, no thief.
Really sorry to hear. I've lost to thieves including a boat. Still getting reimbursed for a thief from my vehicle from my backyard which I have a FLUKING street light in and 4ft from my backdoor. Plus you all know how nights are somewhat restless for me so I probably was a wake. Had seven higher priced combos in vehicle that weren't taken. Guess walking down the street in the middle of the night with a 1/2 dozen setups may have been to risky?
Had cops at my house by 8am and the thief caught by 3. What a putz!
Court threw out my case but ordered resitution in some plea agreement. No asking what I felt about the idea. Putz gets unlimited time to repay. No interest no late fees, just remains on paper till paid in full. Big deal. This was three years ago and I've recieved $142.50 of $745 so far. This was 3 years ago! The good part is I got most of my belongings back. Detectives really had a hard time believing the value and amount of plastics and lures and stuff I lost until they recovered the stuff.
Fishing ain't cheap no more.
WTL glad your ok with things but I'm not.
Also had a tacklebag stolen when I had to leave it (hidden) on shore while I was in eyesight wading in the pond fishing. Never saw anyone. Never got anything back.

Last edited by joedog; 05-03-12 at 03:37 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 06:51 AM   #5
keithdog

For the life of me, I simply can't understand how some people are able to take what does not belong to them and feel ok with that. The scum of society strikes again. Sorry you lost your yak Billy along with the other items.
Old 05-03-12, 03:35 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Didn't you have a loot of equipment stolen a few years ago too. It certainly does suck though. Now that I just got a boat, I don't like walking in the store with my stuff in it. I keep it locked, but I feel like if I put out enough, I could twist them out or with a pair of pliers.
Old 05-03-12, 05:15 PM   #7
bassinbob

Anytime you get robbed it sucks. But this brings to mind an episode of Kung Fu. Remember when grasshopper caught a theif taking the gold plate and master gave the theif the matching plate. I actually can't remember what was masters' reasoning but I always say to myself after I get hit I guess they needed it more than me. I believe what goes around comes around.
Old 05-03-12, 09:20 PM   #8
nobass

hate thiefs. do not care if they steal 1 cent or 1000. i work hard for what i get and do not want some scump bag stealing it so he can put it up his nose.
Old 05-03-12, 09:34 PM   #9
lilmule

Most likly not bright individuals so will use nearby,see it call the cops.By the way did you file a report?
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-12, 10:43 PM   #10
WTL

I did file a report. The cops speculated that because of the obvious mental definciencies of the culprits, they stole it to use it.

I've had a lot of stuff taken over the years. This actually doesnt hurt nearly as bad as some other losses, such as the loss of most of my lures one year. I'm just still, really annoyed that someone is so stupid to do what they did. I kinda worry for them.

Anybody who goes out in the yak better be ready for a banana curse x10. They have committed some bad juju. As a fisherman, I wouldn't steal, partly for morality, but also...think of the bad karma associated with it. Even though I don't subscribe in any degree to eastern religions, what goes around does come around most of the time.
Old 05-04-12, 09:52 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

That sucks, WTL! If I remember correctly, you went the shade tree mechanic route and came up with the rudder design yourself.

Worn out or not, that's still a bummer, even if you replaced it and relegated it to backup.
From the sounds of it, it could have been worse though.

Check the pawn shops and Craigslist Lots of criminals are ungodly stoopid
Old 05-04-12, 10:33 PM   #12
bamabassman

so sorry billy. man i tell ya what......these folks these days..........it's such a shame folks have to take something they didn't earn. i hope a hole develops and they ain't got a life jacket and lose all their gear. well, then they would steal someone elses gear.......nevermind that part. i just hope they get what they deserve.
Old 05-04-12, 10:38 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

They will, John. Don't you watch My Name Is Earl????
Old 05-15-12, 08:43 AM   #14
bassboogieman

I'm just catching up upon my retun form the Hollow and I see this - and I hate reading threads like this. As Keith said, I don't comprehend why someone steals - how do they rationalize taking something they didn't earn, but someone else did? Where is the breakdown in the thought process? As was also said by many, I hate thieves and I hope you see those idiots out on the river and get the police involved - maybe after you take a little personal satisifaction (or not) as you may deem appropriate.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 01:10 PM   #15
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I hate to read theives stole your kayak. Sounds like kids just looking for something to play with on the water. Odd they left your paddle.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 01:19 PM   #16
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

That really sucks. I've had all my combos and lures stolen once, my 2 man stolen another time. Both times were before I was even old enough to drive so they were basically stealing from a little kid. It's amazing how much they just do not care about who the owner may be or what affect it may have on their lives. I had bought that 2 man for $100 when I was 12 with money from odds and ends jobs and saved all summer long. The feeling of getting off the bank and in a boat and catching fish was great, and then just like that it was gone. I see it at work everyday dealing with these wonderful people, if it doesn't affect them, they couldn't care less.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.