Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-16-09, 10:32 PM   #1
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default SPRO Bronzeye Frog

Okay well I am usually the one that is all about the frog fishing but there is one thing that I just can't figure out and that's the SPRO Bronzeye Frog. I mean it costs more than the other frogs, looks better, "supposedly" works better, and "supposedly" catches more fish. But I rarely get bit on it. I think it is the way I'm working it but my main question is this:

I hear that it works better when you trim the legs. Does it really? How much should I cut off?
Old 05-16-09, 11:04 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I heard the same thing, but I hate to mess with a $9 bait, hahahaha. I think everything just has a time and place BIG. I threw one morning til I was blue in the face ( Probably 2 hours with determination to pick 1 up and didn't). I picked up a buzzbait and bam. But I am going to keep trying them until I figure out the conditions for it and mark it down.
Old 05-16-09, 11:15 PM   #3
B-I-G

I'm just going to wait a little until the pads are thicker and try em again... hopefully get a fish or two
Old 05-16-09, 11:50 PM   #4
cassidyta

I ues the spro frogs on top of algae, hydrilla that pushes through the water, and pads. They are one of my best producing baits. There are some great videos one mods to the frog on youtube. Here is one that I liked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEK6768TsZ0
I have replaced the legs on most of mine with some various materials.
Old 05-17-09, 05:53 AM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you can find some ROUND (like a ball) rattles, insert one into the frog through where the hooks exit the body. These are plastic with shot inside so they won't break inside the body. One will not alter the motion of the frog and may help attract a strike, especially in turbid water or when night bassing.
If you have some "retired" jigs that have the rubber rattle "pocket" underneath the hook you can pirate the perfect rattle from there.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 07:48 AM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya, me too, I've had the best froging weather a man could ask for! Over cast, little bit of rain now and than, lillies, reeds, etc. never get bit on them much!? Other than by gators!

Shortening the legs dose help make them walk the dog though, one shorter than the other also helps!

One frog/mouse that I caught a lot of bass one last year and a few this year is the Fish Arrow Cover Jack, It walks better than any frog/mouse I've ever used. it's about 20$ though! It sucked when I lost it, hooked a hawg, and broke it off! Ever since then I re-tie a lot more often!

Hey look! It's on sale fore 13$ at Tackle Warehouse!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...BINA-FACJ.html
Old 05-17-09, 01:36 PM   #7
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-I-G View Post
Okay well I am usually the one that is all about the frog fishing but there is one thing that I just can't figure out and that's the SPRO Bronzeye Frog. I mean it costs more than the other frogs, looks better, "supposedly" works better, and "supposedly" catches more fish. But I rarely get bit on it. I think it is the way I'm working it but my main question is this:

I hear that it works better when you trim the legs. Does it really? How much should I cut off?
i bet you don't fish it were it's designed to be fished, and if you cut 1in off the legs its walks better
swimbaitkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-09, 09:17 PM   #8
BassAddict

I cut about an inch off the legs. I love that frog. I fish it mostly around grass but have caught fish around wood as well. I experiment with different retrieves until I figure out if they want it fast or slow or whatever. Once you figure it out you will love it!!!
Old 05-17-09, 09:20 PM   #9
bamabassman

starting to use it myself. loving it so far, caught 2 on the first day i tried it, keepers too. haven't modified it yet though. hate cutting of parts of an expensive bait,hahahahaha.
Old 05-17-09, 10:41 PM   #10
B-I-G

Alright I'm not cutting it just yet but I need to figure this "walking the 'frog'" techniques, if you will haha
Old 05-18-09, 03:39 PM   #11
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-I-G View Post
Alright I'm not cutting it just yet but I need to figure this "walking the 'frog'" techniques, if you will haha
Walking with a frog is different than walking a stick bait like a spook. It requires more line slack, and quicker smaller jerks to than side, just practice, you'll get it!

The Cover Jack walks much better than any other frog though, even the river2sea, which I like better than the Spro frog. Only problem I have with it is that it's less durable, if you try to skip it, the hooks will poke it.
Old 05-18-09, 05:28 PM   #12
bamabassman

b-i-g, i used it one day a couple weeks ago. what i did was cast it out. wait for the waves to clear, pop it a little and wait. if there was a bass there it would hit it after the first twitch. i tried the walking the dog tech, didn't work. but like i said i only used it once so far. i love the bait. and i am gonna be using it often.
Old 05-18-09, 05:52 PM   #13
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

different frogs should be used in different areas or techniques. I use the spro to skip up under docks or overhanging brush, it has harder plastic than other frogs so it makes it more suitable for skipping. other frogs I use on grass mats. other than that there isnt much use for a frog. its a great lure when fished right.
Old 05-18-09, 06:18 PM   #14
MississippiBoy

Be sure and squeeze it out every now and then. It gets water in it through the hole where the hooks pass through, which makes it sit a lot lower in the water. Although that might help in some ways...hmmmmm....experimentation time?
Old 05-18-09, 09:18 PM   #15
bamabassman

right on mb. in the video the guy states he drills a hole in the rear of his frogs to help the draining. and he sometimes partialy fills the cavaty with water to make it sit a little lower too.
Old 05-18-09, 09:36 PM   #16
The Doc

I fill the hole around the shank of the hook with clear silicone caulk. It keeps the water out of the bait so you don't have to waste time squeezing it out every 10 casts.
Old 07-11-09, 06:19 PM   #17
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Be sure and squeeze it out every now and then. It gets water in it through the hole where the hooks pass through, which makes it sit a lot lower in the water. Although that might help in some ways...hmmmmm....experimentation time?
Experimentation time is right. I've just recently started using the Spro and I've noticed 2 things.
1-It takes practice to actually set the hook (at least I hope that's the problem lol)
2-When it gets a little waterlogged, it cuts through the water with a heads up/bum down movement. I was messing with it and you can get it to move around when it's running that way. Only problem is, it makes a heckuva lot of noise when it hits the water
Old 07-11-09, 06:26 PM   #18
nosman11
BassFishin.Com Member

i'm considering getting one myself
Old 07-11-09, 06:35 PM   #19
swimbaitkid

If you think you NEED any kind of cover to throw it around you are wrong,think about how Dean Rojas uses the frog,I have not seen him do real good in a tournament lately where he is keying on some kind of grass to throw kermy around(i know about the 45lb stringer) he doesnt need cover to fish the frog,they will hit that frog just like a spook or buzzbait in open water.try it,sometimes it works to do something that nobody else is doing
Old 07-11-09, 06:45 PM   #20
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbaitkid View Post
If you think you NEED any kind of cover to throw it around you are wrong,think about how Dean Rojas uses the frog,I have not seen him do real good in a tournament lately where he is keying on some kind of grass to throw kermy around(i know about the 45lb stringer) he doesnt need cover to fish the frog,they will hit that frog just like a spook or buzzbait in open water.try it,sometimes it works to do something that nobody else is doing
He also throws that frog for 8hrs looking for five or six quality bites

Jim
Old 07-11-09, 07:31 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I don't fish a lot of frogs, but when I pick up a hollow belly, it's always a spro. I found a scum frog on the ground at KY Lake and compared to the Spro, it's so much lighter and doesn't cast nearly as good. Also, the scum frog fills up with water much much faster because of the big hole in the back.

BB
Old 07-11-09, 08:46 PM   #22
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post

Jim

When I won the State tournament in Idaho,my biggest fish that i caught that day came on a frog,that I only made one cast with the whole day. there was 2 cement walls that came together and there was some trash pushed against the walls.I said that looks like a frog fish spot,threw it over there and walked it out and she ate it.I only made that one cast with a frog and it was a fish cast,sometimes it pays to just go fishing with an open mind.my friend was really mad because he threw a frog all morning and never got a bite and i told him to throw back there and he didnt so i got the fish
Old 07-11-09, 08:47 PM   #23
swimbaitkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post

Jim

Most people arent dedicated to throwing a bait for a couple bites all day long,thats what seperates a pro from a weekend angler
Old 07-11-09, 10:12 PM   #24
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I think these frogs are so worth the money. Cutting the legs shorter helps it walk the dog very well. I'll walk it around shallow grass or bridge pilings and such. It's not a bait that'll only catch you big fish, but does tend to get quality fish.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.