Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-01-11, 09:00 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Senko Color Selection

Is it safe to say I treat the Color Selection of a Senko the same as I would any other worm?

If I would throw a June Bug Worm, I would throw a June Bug Senko based off Conditions and Water Clarity?
Old 07-01-11, 09:11 AM   #2
Mumpy

Also, what's the normal size Senko you usually use when Wacky Rigging it?
Old 07-01-11, 10:25 AM   #3
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mumpy, probably the most commonly used Senko and when you say "Senko" I am assuming you mean Gary Yamamoto brand bait and not a knock off, is the 5" for both t-rig and wacky, the 4" is a great bait in a lot of respects as are the larger/longer variety of this bait, but I believe most people use the 5" most of the time. Color selection for a Senko is the same as any other bait, darker baits in stained water, natural colored baits in clear. My personal favorite is the Green pumpkin/Watermelon laminate. I like to dye the very tip of the tail with a little chartruese and fish them t-rigged on a 5/0 skip gap gammy EWG. I aslo almost always fish them weightless, I think when you add weight to them it tends to kill some of their action, which is why we fish the GYB Senko in the first place.

Hope it helps
Old 07-01-11, 10:39 AM   #4
Jrob78

My favorite Senko colors are black/blue, watermelon red, watermelon candy and green pumpkin. I always throw them weightless and usually go with the 5" size. Senkos are a great bait to master, they produce a lot of fish and can really be fished many different ways.
Old 07-01-11, 10:47 AM   #5
Mumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
My personal favorite is the Green pumpkin/Watermelon laminate.

Hope it helps
Thank you for your input, it's definitely going to help me. It's funny, when I got back from Alaska and started building my Bass Tackle back up again. I swore I would not purchase lures that wouldn't catch fish. I wanted a Bass Tackle set up that would make men jealous! So the other day I seen these Senko worms and I'm going through them and I pick up a pack of the exact ones you mention. The Green Pumpkin with Watermelon Laminate.

Now to get me a tool and some O-Rings!
Old 07-01-11, 10:59 AM   #6
WaffleJaw

I went through an entire ,brand new, bag of the Green Pumpkin/watermelon last weekend..All wacky rigged...Ive got to start using the bands on my wacky rigs...Every bass threw the worm off. lol
The funny thing was I switched to a Big Bite Trick Stick(senko knockoff) in watermelon red,and the bites dropped..I caught one on that...Went back to the actual senkos,and the bites turned back on!
But that and Pumpkin are my favorite color senkos in 5''..

I keep my worm colors pretty much the same,and pretty simple (maybe 5-6 different color combos)...Its the different worm actions Im looking for to try and match the conditions.
Old 07-01-11, 11:05 AM   #7
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
I went through an entire ,brand new, bag of the Green Pumpkin/watermelon last weekend..All wacky rigged...Ive got to start using the bands on my wacky rigs...Every bass threw the worm off. lol
The funny thing was I switched to a Big Bite Trick Stick(senko knockoff) in watermelon red,and the bites dropped..I caught one on that...Went back to the actual senkos,and the bites turned back on!
But that and Pumpkin are my favorite color senkos in 5''..

I keep my worm colors pretty much the same,and pretty simple (maybe 5-6 different color combos)...Its the different worm actions Im looking for to try and match the conditions.

Waffle, you should try putting a little dye on the tip of the tail, I think it kinda mimics a bluegill when they get stressed, they flash a little color on the very end of their fins.
Old 07-01-11, 11:10 AM   #8
Mumpy

So, just so I’m clear on this. I would hate to go out tomorrow and throw my arm off and not catch a damn thing. I’m going to take the Senko, Hook it in the center like the video said and throw it out. Let it sink until it hits bottom. Then I’m going to pull the rod tip up and then let it sink back down, then pull the rod tip up and then let it sink back down. That’s all there is to it? God I hope it’s this easy! I have a friend of mine who I was his Platoon Sergeant in Alaska. He is now a Sergeant First Class stationed here at Fort Benning and the other day I linked back up with him. (They Grow so fast, hehe) Anyway I was telling him how I was having a great year of Bass Fishing and he told me, you’re not going to believe this, he told me he has a Boat and has been fishing every weekend since March and to this day has not caught a Bass.

I assured him he would catch a bass on Saturday (Tomorrow) and I would show him a couple of techniques that would keep him catching bass. I plan on showing him how to fish a PoP-R in the Morning and would LOVE To show him the Senko Wacky Rig Technique after the sun comes up.
Old 07-01-11, 11:17 AM   #9
Tavery5

Mumpy, I think you have the basics of it, one thing I would add is to be patient, once it hits bottom let it sit there for maybe 10-15 seconds, if you dont feel a bite, give it the slightest twitch, I mean barely make that thing move, and wait another few seconds, if nothing then lift and let it fall again. Watch your line closely, allot of the strikes happen on the fall. Senkos catch fish, but you have to have the patience to work them slowly.
Old 07-01-11, 11:36 AM   #10
3dkicker

I'd stick with the basic colors with GP being the most popular and Melon being second. The combo of the two is a very good bait as well. Add a little red flake or gold to them and you're now up to 7 bags of baits. You can see how quickly this becomes an issue for those with limited funds. I stick with the basic colors when it comes to stick baits or senko's. Makes things easy. 4" and 5" are most common. I've seen 6-9" ones as well.
Wacky rigging with an O ring works well and keeps the senko from ripping in half. Make sure the O ring isn't too big or else you'll lose the senko when a small fish grabs the bait by an end and you set the hook. I've lost a bunch of baits this way. You can fish it weightless but also I've used a weighted hook with this method. I've caught them both ways.
Old 07-01-11, 03:12 PM   #11
dave0943

Default Senko's

I also like the Green/ watermelon as well as the blue/black. I use the 4"
for Smallies rigged Wacky style with the black Wacky ring/ band in the middle with a wacky hook rigged on the band. I have one of the Wacky
tools that hold the bands. Works great. Rigged weightless kills them!
I work the rigg slowly over structure. You need to watch your line as the smallie enhale them. The line will twitch or slowly move off to the side indicating a stike. Awesome bait. I bought the Yamamoto kit from Cabela's with 5 colors in both 4" and 5". If I can remember it was about 29.00 including a plano box.They also sell the Senko swimmer worm kit for the same price. Gives you great colors as well. I use them for both species and when fishing is slow I can always coax up a bite or two. I've never used the other brand Senko look a like baits. I can't see not having some in the boat.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 04:33 PM   #12
Mumpy

I purchased the tool and some o-rings a few minutes ago from Tacklewarehouse along with a package of the Black and Blue Senkos in the 5” size. I also ordered some JJ’s Magic dip. This should complete my Senko box. I really appreciate the help you guys have given me on this. I love learning new techniques.
Old 07-01-11, 04:42 PM   #13
Tavery5

JJ's is some great stuff, just keep it far away from elaztech type baits, or you will have a very cool science experiment. LOL
Old 07-01-11, 05:39 PM   #14
walkeraviator

I look at Senkos a little different than say a T-Rogged ribbontail. I look at them more like flukes. Imitating baitfish is teh idea. So I use the same colors was you guys... green pumpkin, watermelon/pearl laminate, GP candy. I want to imitate bluegill. Then I throw them around cover, almost like pitchin em in there and lettin em sink.

Sometimes i will cast out and cover water with it, working it by letting it sink to teh bottom then jerking it up into teh water column and letting it sink. It gets you a reaction bite. This is also where wacky rigging a fluke works well.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 05:53 PM   #15
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Not to Jack the thread, but I was walmart and saw some weird name stick worm and at the bottom of the package it says by Gary yamato. So are they the same or what
it was In a blue package
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 06:56 PM   #16
Tavery5

Wally those are most likely Kinami baits, they are Gary Yamamotos sons baits. Rumor is that they are the same bait, they do come in a few different colors though.
Old 07-01-11, 06:59 PM   #17
Jrob78

Tavery is correct, Derek Yamamoto makes the Kinami Flash. I've always heard that they are the exact same as Senkos.
Old 07-01-11, 07:59 PM   #18
wallywallace

thanking of getting some
Old 07-01-11, 10:40 PM   #19
Bender

I believe the biggest difference between "Senko" type worms is the action. Most of them sold are too stiff and don't have the shimmy that the Yamamotos and some hand poured ones do. When Texas rigging them I try to use a thin wire hook to not take away from this action, but I wacky rig most of the time. Best hooks I have found are the Owner Wacky hooks that are green. Of course I only use Nemesis worms now. The thing to remember with these baits is the slower that you fish them the better, even though it is tough to do sometimes.

One little trick that I just learned recently and haven't gotten to test much yet is to use 3/8" diameter electrical shrink tube cut into about a 1/4" wide strip. Slide that over the middle of the worm then run your hook through it. This keeps the hook at a 90* angle with the bait for better hook ups and lasts pretty long. I believe that the correct diameter for 5" worms is 3/8" but I'm not 100% sure. You can also get the tubing in clear.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 12:16 AM   #20
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Green pumpkin, and watermelon are great. Senkos is one thing I try not to skimp on when it comes to brand. GYCB is the best, IMO, but they're to much money.. 8 bucks for a pack is just to much. Yum dingers are the next best IMO. I've used BBB trick sticks and personally don't like them. Hardly any action even after you soften them up nice and good.

I can't really add anything to what other's have said on actually fishing them, it's pretty simple, however it does take patience.. especially if you're not catching fish.
Old 07-02-11, 01:42 PM   #21
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Wally those are most likely Kinami baits, they are Gary Yamamotos sons baits. Rumor is that they are the same bait, they do come in a few different colors though.
The differences between the Kinami Flash and GYCB Senko are:

1.- The Flash has the wave molded on the eggsack, senko´s eggsack is smooth.
2.- The Flash has exclusive colos not found in the Senko line-up.
3.- The color palette of Kinami is a lot narrower

However the plastic formula is exactly the same and the price per unit is about the same. They are molded in the same factory.

Supposedly GYCB´s line of baits was oriented for a more specialized retail market ( bait & tackle tores ) while Kinami was for being marketed through other channels ( like supermarkets, general sports stores n´such ).
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 05:24 PM   #22
wallywallace

yea, the kinami is at every wally world but i only se GYB at actual outdoor stores
Old 07-02-11, 06:01 PM   #23
oglejust

i normally texas rig a 5inch big bite trick stick in green. ill texas rig it then after it rips ill flip it over, once that rips ill use it wacky rigged. i get 3 times the worms this way
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 06:18 PM   #24
Lvitch

Haven't been any place you couldn't catch them on either wat/ flk flk or June bug. Bring a little spike it for the tail.
Old 07-04-11, 03:57 PM   #25
BrownHL
BassFishin.Com Member

Keep an eye on Dick's for Senko sales at 20% off. That is when I stock up. As a matter of fact it is going on right now.
BrownHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.