Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 06-16-16, 07:02 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Deep cycle battery.

If you were going to buy a single deep cycle battery for running a Minn Kota trolling motor in a 12 foot jon boat, and wanted to keep the price under $150.00, what would you buy? Our local Batteries Plus store sells the Duracell brand, but looking on the internet, customer comments have not been exactly overwhelming in their like of that battery. I was looking at a Sears Diehard battery, for 150.00. Any suggestions? I know Walmart sells the Everstart battery, but I am leary of that because I had one once and returned it because it had a slow acid leak that leaked into my boat. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-16-16, 07:30 AM   #2
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith, I went to AGM batteries years ago and never looked back. I got mine at Cabela's but many brands offer the AGM's. They hold a charge, recharge quickly, won't freeze, are sealed and will not leak. Cabela's has theirs on sale now and I suggest a size 27, since you are running a single battery, which should give you plenty of power to run the T/m and SONAR all day. They are more expensive than a wet cell but for me, well worth the additional cost.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-16, 08:09 AM   #3
keithdog

I'd love to get one, just not in my budget right now. I actually have an old Cabelas AGM I use as a back up battery. Good batteries for sure.
Old 06-16-16, 04:18 PM   #4
nobass

I have used the Duracell in my boat for 3 years still going strong. Have not had any trouble with them keep them on a trickle charger in winter.
Old 06-17-16, 06:41 AM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
I have used the Duracell in my boat for 3 years still going strong. Have not had any trouble with them keep them on a trickle charger in winter.
I was looking at the Duracells at Batteries Plus. I was going to buy an Interstate battery but none of the dealers here have any in stock and I'd need to special order. However, I did find the Excide Stowaway batteries at Menards and TSC and really like those.
Old 06-18-16, 08:52 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Think I read that batteries from Walmart and Interstate are the same battery. Thing is how well that 16 year old doing the stocking at Walmart handled the battery. And how many times did he drop it. I have some Duralast that need replacing today. Date sticker says 7-2011 and I have boiled them down over the winter and added water to cover the plates. But they are shot and barely last a guide trip. Tonight I will make some cash and replace them this week.

Capt Mike
Old 06-20-16, 07:21 AM   #7
keithdog

I ended up getting an Exide Nautilus 31MDC. Seems like a decent battery from all the customer reviews and stats I read. And for 109.00 at Menards, not a bad price.
Old 06-21-16, 07:16 PM   #8
Captmikestarrett

My batteries came back after my last three trips.. they now last all thru the trip and have plenty juice left. This is very odd. I also cleaned all the connections so maybe that helped.
In any case being a bit cheap right now.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.